About To Buy Another Saab And Have Some Questions [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: About To Buy Another Saab And Have Some Questions

Willrwilli
13-08-08, 10:45 PM
Okay here is my Saab resume. I have had an 87 900-S an 88 9000 Turbo, and a 2001 9-3 convertible. All have been great cars. Not trying to knock the newer models, but after having a older Saab you know there is just something different with the new ones. I am getting a 93 900-S convertible with 130,000 miles on it. Here are the issues (all small). The owner says when you first start driving you get that good old synchronizer grind when going into second gear. After the car is warm it stops. There are also issues with the AC. What do you folks recommend I do about the trans? Here are my past experiences. With the 1987 900-S I had the same problem, and added some Slick 50 transmission treatment, and it stopped. I also had an older Audi, and my Audi mechanic put in some kind of high friction gear oil and that also seemed to help. I am sure over the last 12 years there are new solutions to this problem. I need to know what you all have done that has worked. As far as the AC I have no Idea what is wrong with it , so let's assume it needs everything. About what would that cost? I know this is alot for my firs post, but any help would be appreciated. This is strange. I also own a 2007 Trailblazer SS with a 400 HP motor, and I am excited about getting a 15 hear old Saab.

Willrwilli
14-08-08, 12:02 AM
Can anyone help a new guy out?

jameschong
14-08-08, 01:07 AM
Help's on the way, I'm sure. I can't help as I have an auto, and for your AC problems, you're likely to need someone more local to help you.

In the meantime, I can suggest you use the Search function at the top of this page. Click on "Search" > "Advanced Search" and supply it with 2-3 key words before selecting "Classic Saab 900" as the forum to search. There is at least 5 years' worth of postings and I am sure your problem has been encountered by someone before. Good luck, and welcome to SC.

Willrwilli
16-08-08, 12:16 AM
Okay everyone here are the updates. I would still like some advice on my initial questions, but I also have a new one. The car I am buying is 500 miles away from my house, so I will have a long first drive. If I was going to put together a Saab road survival kit what should I have in it? I have a list of things I am going to replace when I get it home, I just want to make sure I get it home.

c900
16-08-08, 05:01 AM
As for the grinding when shifting to 2nd, sounds like the 2nd/4th synchro ring is worn. Shouldn't affect the overall operation of the transmission though - you just to be more careful of how and when you shift to 2nd and maybe do double-clutching to be certain. I don't own a manual-trans c900 but have driven one with trouble getting into 2nd and the problem was a worn synchro ring in that car.

What trans fluid are you using (if you know)? The most recommended fluid for 5-speed manual transmissions is Redline MTL and it might help to at least reduce the synchro issues. I don't think the synchro could be changed with the transmission in situ, but I could be wrong.

For the A/C, it could just be that it's de-gassed and needs re-gassing, but at the same time it should be checked for leaks and any o-ring seals that aren't doing their job should be replaced. If the A/C compressor clutch clicks on and the second fan starts up when you push the A/C switch, that at least shows the compressor is ok and the control circuit for the A/C fan is functioning properly.

If the A/C is still configured for the older R12 refrigerant, you should get it converted to use R134a which will require a complete seal replacement. The conversion kits are fairly cheap, but unless you have the knowledge to pressure-test and re-gas the system yourself, it's best left to a proper A/C tech to do it.

Craig.