Panicking - Too much sealant? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Panicking - Too much sealant?

sford
26th July 2008, 04:39 AM
Hello - Just dropped and cleaned the sump in my 1999 Saab 9-5. The work took me 4 hours (mostly because of the exhaust) and in the end I attached my freaky squeaky clean sump, filled up with new oil.

The problem: I went a little overboard with the Anaerobic Sealant. There was (quite a bit of) sealant coming out of the seam around the outside of the pan after I had finished, so it occured to me 3 hours AFTER I put everything back together...

There is almost 100% certainly some sealant (Permatex 51813 Anaerobic Gasket Maker) beaded along the inside of my oil pan to engine block junction.

NOW I have read conflicting little snippets (No devoted thread) on these forums, just spent the last few hours sifting posts...One person says it will "create havoc" while another says "anaerobic sealant will not ever fully cure if it reacts with oil". What is the deal?? I have to work tomorrow, won't have time to pull the pan off for a couple days at least...Can I drive it in this condition?

Summary:

1) Anyone who has put loads of sealant on, has it caused problems?

2) Anyone who knows whether or not Permatex 51813 will harden (therefor become a cloggin risk) when submerged in oil? Or will it just stay soft and be filtered out?

3) Anyone who has dropped their sump and found chunks of amberish/orange hardened anaerobic sealant stuck in the screen?

THANKS for your help in advance. I hope to be able to drive to work tomorrow!

Stephen

Kermit
26th July 2008, 06:40 AM
Having pulled off cam covers sealed with sealant as opposed to a gasket i've always found it to be set and beaded around the inside. If you've given it enough time to set i suspect this will be the case for you as well.

Matthew
26th July 2008, 07:11 AM
If you really have used anaerobic sealant then you have nothing to worry about. The sealant will remain in fluid form and won't block the strainer.

Anaerobic sealant cures only in the absence of air and under pressure. It's specifically designed so that excess does not damage the engine.

FWIW Loctite 518 is the Saab recommended anaerobic sealant, but I expect Permatex works just as well.

Now, relax, clear your mind of worries, go for a drive and enjoy the car :D

Wulf
26th July 2008, 10:42 AM
How much is "loads" of sealant? I used one of these little tubes of Permatex (same as the Loctite stuff) and it was just enough for one sump. Some of the sealant was squeezed out on the outside as well.

I suppose if you're really worried about large amounts of sealant in your oil, just change the oil after a few hundred miles.

http://wulfers.net/auto/repairs/9-5sump/files/page66_18.jpg

http://wulfers.net/auto/repairs/9-5sump/files/page66_19.jpg

sford
26th July 2008, 12:32 PM
How much is "loads" of sealant?

http://wulfers.net/auto/repairs/9-5sump/files/page66_19.jpg

Well I know I put more than this...actually my bead was about that thick (1mm or so high) but covered almost the entire face or the sump...Yea I know I am a total moron.

So I will drive the car to work - I am a little worried still, but thanks for the inputs...I guess the best way to solve this problem for sure is to drop my sump in a couple of weeks, post pics on what condition the excess is in...anyone interested in seeing that?? Maybe this kind of post is just too nitpicky...sorry if that's the case.

If anyone else has anything to add to this, I am sure there has got to be someone who has done this before!?

gto47
27th July 2008, 12:12 AM
I think it would be pretty tough for enough of it to get in there to clog anything up. I think you could safely drive it indefinitely.

I just used some non hardening sealant very sparingly, i don't feel like breaking my back if i ever have to do the job again.

I don't think you really even need to use a sealer.