Off-the-line response... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Off-the-line response...

Lucky
21-07-03, 04:55 PM
I've been enjoying my '00 9-5 LPT for a couple of months now. Great car, I really enjoy how it rides, handles, and accelerates (at least in the 30+ mph range).

What I've found lacking is off-the-line response. In my daily commute I have a problem at an intersection where I have a stop sign and the cross-traffic does not. The 1 to 2 second turbo spool up, means I need a pretty large hole in the cross traffic to safely cross two lanes and join the traffic going the direction I need.

How can I speed up throttle response with minimal impact on warranty, gas mileage, and wallet?

-- John
'00 9-5 LPT
'01 V70 T5
'86 911 Carrera

murphwiz
21-07-03, 05:22 PM
Hmmm turbo lag in an lpt..
Never had that! :o

Is it an auto, if so use sport, if its manual, practise the technique of good launch with a tiny wheelspin, this always seems best.

Also bear in mind torque is limited in first anyway.

GenSaab
21-07-03, 05:57 PM
Try this,

1) Premium Fuel (always a good idea)
2) Have the delaer re-flash the T7 to the newest program. This will help some for this problem and more for others. If it is still under saab warranty it should be free.
3) Proper spark plugs NGK BCPR6ES-11
4) Air filter. A high flow reusable unit like the French made JR will make a noticeable difference. Filter Link (http://www.genuinesaab.com/detail.asp?product_id=JRSportfilter)

IF this does not help we can go further but you should contact us directly. Just remember the car is a complex sytem. Everything works together.

Nick Taliaferro
SAABCENTRAL Sponsor
GenuineSaab.com USA[/url]

Lucky
22-07-03, 10:58 AM
Murph, it is an auto... I do use sport mode sometimes, but that doesn't seem to improve turbo spool up from a standstill.

Nick, I do use premium with each fill up & a Techron treatment a few weeks ago really improved overall engine performance. I'll look into your suggestions 2 & 3. I think I'll replace plugs this week as it is nearing 27k miles. It is interesting that you put the JR filter as #4 on the list, but say it will make a noticeable difference -- is that you being modest (or respectful of a public forum) or does that mean the first 3 things on your list are better investments in time/money?

Thanks, again, for the good suggestions. I'll try 'em out and report back.

GenSaab
22-07-03, 11:50 AM
I always like to use the Knowledge first rather than just throw parts at it. There was no set order but just some points to consider.

1-3 help other drivability issues including many you donít notice.

2 is free and possibly also 3 depending on mileage.

4 we have done blind installs on some of our local customers cars just to be sure there is an improvement. There always is.

NCT

TaliaferroSaab.com
aka: Genuinesaab.com

murphwiz
22-07-03, 05:15 PM
Had the JR filter in mine pre speedparts upgrade, never noticed any off the line lag...

Even less now with a stage 2 ecu... :lol:

Toreador93
23-07-03, 01:23 AM
Glad to see GenuineSaab on the board!

I also notice the amount of lag in my 9-5 auto...will definitely look into the filter.

Would Bosch Platinum spark plugs help any? Or are the NGK BCPR6ES-11 the best for a Saab? And would a diverter valve help with this at all?

GenSaab
23-07-03, 09:35 AM
Toreador93, Are you just trying to get me stirred up adout this? FACTORY PLUGS ONLY :! The factory turbo bypass valve is fine.

NCT :)

murphwiz
23-07-03, 12:25 PM
DO NOT ever use anything other than factory specc'd NGK plugs..
no other manufacturers plugs will work the correct way with the DI and Troionic, the DI does a LOT more than simply fire a plug!!

If you must have platinum, then the Aero uses NGK PFR6-10H IIRC???

AeroResh
23-07-03, 12:47 PM
My Aero auto does the same thing albeit intermittantly which is strange (and doesn't inspire confindence either when merging with traffic :-? )

Only had the car a few weeks and I don't remember it doing it on the test drive.

To me it seems to be an electronic fault, maybe something to do with the drive by wire system?

It's going back to the dealers tomorrow. Maybe the diagnostic will show something up. I'll keep you posted.

XAAMOTTOMAAX
23-07-03, 01:31 PM
Sounds simple and almost stupid to point out, but if the AC is on, the car is going to suffer tremendously off the line. I have the JR filter and a stage 1 ECM in my 2000 aero automatic and even still the off the line response is a little scary when squeezing through tight spots. Its not good for the car, but if there is little or no room to spare, I will rev the engine to about 1500 rpm while still holding the brake so once the brake is released the engine is at a high enough RPM to launch at a decent speed. I should have just waited to find a good price on a manual though! DOH! Oh well. :roll: