2 Articles on Saab safety [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 2 Articles on Saab safety

CleveSaab
16th July 2003, 05:45 PM
There is a lot to read here. Don't click the links unless you have time to read.

First:
Swedish cars are safer (http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/industries/automotive/5609756.htm)
Random Quote:

"For the 2003 model year, Saab introduced what it claims may be one of the safest cars in the world -- the 9-3 Sports Sedan -- featuring a crash-worthy steel safety cage, side-curtain air bags, and a sophisticated sensing system for air bag and seat-belt pre-tensioner deployment. The new 9-3 received the highest possible crash rating, five stars, in the latest collision tests by the European New Car Assessment Program (EuroNCAP)."

Second:
All About Saab Safety (http://www.legendssaab.com/safety.htm) VERY LONG. I posted this in response to someone's post before. Felt it needed it's own thread.
Random Quote:
"The doors, reinforced with side intrusion bars, have soft lines with no hard armrest surfaces to protect the occupant if they strike an armrest at spleen or kidney level. Hard armrests are known in the safety business as "spleen killers", because that is their most common effect. Saabs have generous amounts of padding in the doors to prevent this from occurring. Safe Seats are also vital to interior safety. Many accident photos have revealed that the seats of most cars have been knocked backwards or sideways in a collision. Most car seats will rip from their mountings and do additional damage to the occupant. It is vital that the seat remain in its proper position to fully protect the occupants Saab seats are extremely robust, so much so that the seat belts themselves are attached to the seat, not the body."

MonkeyMan
16th July 2003, 06:21 PM
Lol...that comment about "robust seats" reminded me of the opening credits in Office Space, where Samir is all p*ssed off in his firebird, and the seat looks like it's gonna fly off the rails. :o

BEN

Grypen
21st May 2004, 12:31 PM
CleveSaab,

I have just registered in this forum, having bought my third Saab (a '94 900S 2.3L).

I have always loved Saabs, and was looking through this forum for crash photos as I am interested in Saab safety.

Well, you can imagine my dismay when I find that the second article link you put up actually took me to a plagiarised copy of an article I wrote on my website years ago, when the 900S was first introduced.

Here's the original (with more content than the plagiarised one, in the SAAB sub-section):

http://leeming.cjb.net

I'm going to email Legend Saab to either 1. get proper attribution or 2. request that they remove the article or link to the original.

Also in that sub-section is another article on Princess Diana's Mercedes crash as it pertains to the car itself.

Hopefully Legend can issue an apology here and correct their mistake.

Mattlach
21st May 2004, 07:07 PM
Hopefully Legend can issue an apology here and correct their mistake.

Let us know what they say! :)

valbowski1980
22nd May 2004, 02:33 PM
As a whole Saabs have been good. However the NG900 leaves much to be desired. The pic bellow doesn't make me happy since both my cousins own NGs, and one actually bought it with the idea that it is a safe car :evil: .

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/95017.htm#

Slowpc
22nd May 2004, 02:37 PM
yea , it might not look good but ...

Injury measures:
Head/neck Good

Chest Good

Leg/foot, left Good

Leg/foot, right Average

So that is still pretty good compared to some other cars on the road.

Mattlach
22nd May 2004, 02:59 PM
As a whole Saabs have been good. However the NG900 leaves much to be desired. The pic bellow doesn't make me happy since both my cousins own NGs, and one actually bought it with the idea that it is a safe car :evil: .

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/95017.htm#

the NG900 is not as good as its other Saab bretheren, but as slowpc says its not as bad as it looks.

The injury ratings are relatively low anyway.

Remember that a car is supposed to crumple when in an accident. Engineers build cars so they intentionally do this. (so called crumple zones) It helps absorbe the energy in a collision, much like attaching a mattress to the front of your car :cheesy:

Too bad for the car, but it keeps the occupants alive..

valbowski1980
22nd May 2004, 05:03 PM
Remember that a car is supposed to crumple when in an accident. Engineers build cars so they intentionally do this. (so called crumple zones) It helps absorbe the energy in a collision, much like attaching a mattress to the front of your car :cheesy:

Too bad for the car, but it keeps the occupants alive..

Point taken but since when is the interior compartment a crumple zone?

valbowski1980
22nd May 2004, 05:05 PM
yea , it might not look good but ...

Injury measures:
Head/neck Good

Chest Good

Leg/foot, left Good

Leg/foot, right Average

So that is still pretty good compared to some other cars on the road.

Most people don't put Saab and "pretty good" in the same que when it comes to saftey. With the NG maybe they should.

MonkeyMan
23rd May 2004, 12:44 PM
I still maintain that active safety is the most effective way to prevent injury or death on the roads. I know people who drive Saabs and Volvos and are also rabid motorcycle enthusiasts. Go figure.

It would also be a shame to let oneself be lulled into a false sense of security by knowing that their car had good crash test ratings. Wear your seatbelt and pay attention!

BEN

tevid
23rd May 2004, 01:04 PM
well not to scare anyone but as i came home today my mom told me this

a 17 year old girl (supposed to graduate this coming saturday) ran her c900 16v n/a off the road, flipped it twice and died instantly

Slaab4life
23rd May 2004, 04:36 PM
Was the girl wearing a seatbelt? Thats the question. I've always thought of my C900 as a tank on wheels. As for the NG900, has anyone taken a look at these results? (http://www.euroncap.com/details.php3?id=saab_900_1997#impact_protection)

valbowski1980
24th May 2004, 02:09 PM
I've seen that one before as well, scary.