SaabCentral Forums banner

down pipe

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  SaabBlackMan 
#1 ·
Would you get performance gains from a standard aero down pipe with the cat removed which would increase the gas flow? as oposed to using a 3" down pipe with race cat

#3 ·
There is a difference between "power" gains and "performance" gains. If it helps the turbo spool quicker and reduces back pressure then it will help the turbo "perform" by allowing the power to come on faster and also to allow the turbo to maintain peak power longer by reducing EGT's.With that said, don't expect a large improvement. :cheesy:

#4 ·
james-aero said:
Would you get performance gains from a standard aero down pipe with the cat removed which would increase the gas flow? as oposed to using a 3" down pipe with race cat
Well, as the two cats in the standard Aero DP are not removeable, you would have to physically cut them out of the DP and weld in new pieces, which isn't overly practical, and the standard DP is still restrictive in it's shape compared to an aftermarket 3" DP.

So, a waste of time really, just get an off-the-shelf 3" DP and race cat, less hassle, more benefit. As has been said, not much in terms of performance gain without a correspondingly mapped ECU, but a 3" DP will aid spool up and response which is good.

#5 ·
I understand that the hardwear mods need the the ecu to be mapped to reap the benifits, i plan to get a abbott ecu upgrade. Im just looking for some options to keep the cost down of tuning my car ie making a standard down pipe into a straight through one :lol: being a young lad its costing me enough to run the car so budget mods are needed :cry:

#6 ·
james-aero said:
Im just looking for some options to keep the cost down of tuning my car ie making a standard down pipe into a straight through one :lol: being a young lad its costing me enough to run the car so budget mods are needed :cry:
There trouble is the cost of finding someone (unless you have the skills and equipment) good enough to cut up the standard DP and accurately weld some new sections in would probably more than just buying a 3" DP, especially as you would still have the 90deg restriction out of the turbo. Also, with no cat the ECU is almost certainly going to throw a check engine light because of the 2 x 02 sensors either side of the cats....?

Unfortunately, there really isn't such a thing as budget mods for Saabs here in the UK, especially on T7 cars.

#8 ·
aeropilot said:
There trouble is the cost of finding someone (unless you have the skills and equipment) good enough to cut up the standard DP and accurately weld some new sections in would probably more than just buying a 3" DP, especially as you would still have the 90deg restriction out of the turbo. Also, with no cat the ECU is almost certainly going to throw a check engine light because of the 2 x 02 sensors either side of the cats....?

Unfortunately, there really isn't such a thing as budget mods for Saabs here in the UK, especially on T7 cars.
The first O2 sensor is before the first cat, as long as you had second one after the cat under the oil pan everything should be ok. This is how the genuinesaab one runs. This is also how the one I'm getting made up shortly will be too.

I would think one of the main gains of the DP would be the removal of that first cat and its replacement with a nice large radius bend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.