Buzz n stuff [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Buzz n stuff

Moekazi
15th June 2008, 12:25 AM
Picked up a 2003 9-5 Aero a couple weeks ago. I had an '82 900 back in the day and it was my favorite car. I'd owned many cars previous and since. I decided to get back into a SAAB. I bounced around on which one i should get, and then decided on an early 90's 900. I was having a hard time finding a Turbo, and then the Aero came along cheap. So far it's been a mixed bag.

I expected it to be quicker. I think the gas might be old, and i doubt it's Premium. I hear it makes a big difference.

Putting the autobox into drive takes a second to engage, and when it does, it's a pretty harsh jolt. I think i need to check the motor mounts.

At least one of the CV joints will need to be replaced in the next few K miles. There's a noticeable tapping under acceleration. I can feel it in the shift lever. It's not loud, yet...

The car is noisy, and i don't mean wind/tire noise. It groans and rumbles. I hear that the AC unit can be noisy, but i'm also going to take a look under the hood for loose covers. I've already found a loose battery cover, and that plastic cover that goes around the oil filler. I've never heard a car make so many weird groaning noises.

My most immediate problem seems to be a short somewhere. If i leave the car a few days (i mostly ride my motorcycle), the battery is dead. I think this may be tied to a buzzing i hear about 5 seconds after removing the key. It sounds like it's coming from the dash, maybe the speakers. I did a search and it seems people that hear buzzing are hearing the DI doing some spark cleaning thing. Mine doesn't last 5 seconds, though. It'll keep buzzing until i put the key back in the ignition.

It may also have something to do with a switch under the hood. It's on the driver side near the fire wall and is tripped by the hood. It looks like there should be some sort of pad on the hood where they contact. Since the pad isn't there, the switch may not be working. I'm not sure what the switch does. It may be the alarm, or it may be an underhood light switch althought i don't see any lights under the hood.

All that aside, it is a great looking car. I really like the profile. I was apprehensive about the "aluminum" surround on the dash in the Aero, but it looks better in person than in pictures.

It also handles and brakes really well. I was kinda surprised at how sensitive the steering is. The brakes are firm and really slow the thing down when needed.

Anyways, just wanted to get in the initial post and hit people up for info on the shorting/buzzing/underhood switch thing. I'll get out and start pulling fuses to try and isolate which system may be shorting after the battery is done recharging. Is the buzzing normal, though? Is there supposed to be something on the hood the switch contacts? Is that a dealer only item, or is there another place?

Thanks

Kyled427
15th June 2008, 02:28 AM
Picked up a 2003 9-5 Aero a couple weeks ago. I had an '82 900 back in the day and it was my favorite car. I'd owned many cars previous and since. I decided to get back into a SAAB. I bounced around on which one i should get, and then decided on an early 90's 900. I was having a hard time finding a Turbo, and then the Aero came along cheap. So far it's been a mixed bag.

I expected it to be quicker. I think the gas might be old, and i doubt it's Premium. I hear it makes a big difference.

Putting the autobox into drive takes a second to engage, and when it does, it's a pretty harsh jolt. I think i need to check the motor mounts.

At least one of the CV joints will need to be replaced in the next few K miles. There's a noticeable tapping under acceleration. I can feel it in the shift lever. It's not loud, yet...

The car is noisy, and i don't mean wind/tire noise. It groans and rumbles. I hear that the AC unit can be noisy, but i'm also going to take a look under the hood for loose covers. I've already found a loose battery cover, and that plastic cover that goes around the oil filler. I've never heard a car make so many weird groaning noises.

My most immediate problem seems to be a short somewhere. If i leave the car a few days (i mostly ride my motorcycle), the battery is dead. I think this may be tied to a buzzing i hear about 5 seconds after removing the key. It sounds like it's coming from the dash, maybe the speakers. I did a search and it seems people that hear buzzing are hearing the DI doing some spark cleaning thing. Mine doesn't last 5 seconds, though. It'll keep buzzing until i put the key back in the ignition.

It may also have something to do with a switch under the hood. It's on the driver side near the fire wall and is tripped by the hood. It looks like there should be some sort of pad on the hood where they contact. Since the pad isn't there, the switch may not be working. I'm not sure what the switch does. It may be the alarm, or it may be an underhood light switch althought i don't see any lights under the hood.

All that aside, it is a great looking car. I really like the profile. I was apprehensive about the "aluminum" surround on the dash in the Aero, but it looks better in person than in pictures.

It also handles and brakes really well. I was kinda surprised at how sensitive the steering is. The brakes are firm and really slow the thing down when needed.

Anyways, just wanted to get in the initial post and hit people up for info on the shorting/buzzing/underhood switch thing. I'll get out and start pulling fuses to try and isolate which system may be shorting after the battery is done recharging. Is the buzzing normal, though? Is there supposed to be something on the hood the switch contacts? Is that a dealer only item, or is there another place?

Thanks

I am just curious, what did you pay for it, because I just bought one (well my parents did) that has a couple problems too and I was wondering what kind of deal I got

Chris 9-5
15th June 2008, 07:39 AM
Sounds to me like this Aero needs a really good service and inspection by a decent Saab trained technician.

Simply changing the ATF could solve the shifting / engaging problem, the car should be quite quick, fresh plugs etc may be an idea - all these creaks and growns, I'd get a decent service done :confused:

Moekazi
15th June 2008, 01:13 PM
Kyled427 - I paid $8k for it which is well below what i was seeing them go for. The body has 2 minor dents, and it does have close to 100k. The mileage doesn't bother me because my motorcycle is my main transportation. I'm also thinking i can get at least 80k more miles out of it (that's like 15yrs ownership for me). I'm debating whether or not i'll get the dents fixed. The interior is fantastic.

Chris 9-5 - The funny thing is that it was owned by a SAAB-Volvo independent shop. A loaner car, so i'm sure it's seen some abuse. However, it has been very well maintained. All the services have been done, but i don't think they did a whole lot of inspecting of limited wear items, i.e. motor mounts, CV joint boots. I have a full coverage, 3 month warranty on the engine and drive train just in case i find something really bad.

The groans i mention, i didn't describe very well. There's about 4 different sounds. Just sitting there parked, they will come and go. Sometimes just one. Sometimes they'll overlap. It's like there's some stuff being turned on and off. Usually, there's anywhere between 10 and 30 seconds silence between the groaning symphany's performances. I don't hear them when i'm moving, but that may just be because of wind/tire/engine noise.

I'm sure i'll be able to find them once i get a chance to open the hood and listen. The funny thing is that when i was looking at it, the hood was open and the engine was running, but i somehow missed them. I think it may have been because i was walking around the car checking things out. There's really not a whole lot to look at under the hood since everything is tucked away/covered.

As far as being "quick", it's an opinion. I've driven some lower hp rated cars that felt much stronger, but they were much lighter, e.g. 230hp Toyota Supra Turbo, 230hp Corvette. I'm sure the torque from the additional displacement is the culprit. It's easier to feel torque than hp. It's really an "apples to oranges" comparison, but i thought they'd be a little closer.

Thank you for your replies.

fusionrx
15th June 2008, 03:56 PM
If you are in LA you should look up Swedecar or Walter Wong, they are both very well respected Saab mechanics in the LA area.