SaabCentral Forums banner

yet another RIMS dilemna. Help me decide?

3K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  alexofc69 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am new at "mods" (im only 16) but I know that for my 9-5 SE V6, my first major "upgrade" will be to the rims. I am interested in 18" wheels that dont look all ricey and flashy like my friends ricer cars. I still want it to look fast, sleek, and modern. And of course, working at McDonalds puts me at a budget. Is there any wheels that someone would recommend? I tend not to like BBS rims, as they look too busy and the exact opposite of Scandinavian Design.:nono;

I kinda like these...

they are Boss 318 Black Chrome

or maybe these?

these are Tenzo Dc-6 Version 1 Gunmetal Flat (similiar to the Hirsch ones!)

:D. with my car being black, and plenty more external bits (full Aero treatment) coming soon, I just want the car to look complete.

Another option is to buy a set of 2000-2001 Aero rims and paint them black, mimicing someone elses car on these boards (SRY!). Those rims are too pricey anyway...

The problem comes in when we talk about suspension. I will be moving to NJ in 2 months, and the roads are harsh up there, and this Saab will see snow for the first time (besides in Sweden:lol:). I wanted to lower the car to make the wheel well look full and flush. and i was interested in low profile, ultra high performance tires.

So I guess my question is:
What Rims do you recommend
What type of Suspension would I need if I want to lower it?
Will there be rubbing problems (or any other problems when fitting a 18" wheel on)?

THX!!

See less See more
#2 ·
You've gotta buy what you like...

Personally I don't think you need to go any bigger than 17" wheels for a 9-5. The Aero 225/45/17 setup is pretty decent.

Suspension wise, there are plenty of threads about it onthis board. A nice setup is Eibach springs and Bilsteins shocks.

#3 ·
Silver is right I've have found a few out there I am currently looking at these 18" to be my next set of rims and that will be it. But that comes last I am currently working on my 3" downpipe for next week:cheesy:.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...wd=18&c=8&pc=21224&rw=7.5&bp=5-110&vid=005419

Pretty cheap and decent.

Personall I would go with the Boss. they look better that the other ones but thats just my 00.02.

#4 ·
IDK. I just think that me filling those wheel wells with 18" would be cooler. :cheesy:

dont get me wrong, i like the Saab 17s and the way they look bigger than they really are, but its just not big enough in my opinion. Sry..:cry:

Does anyone think that rubbing would be a problem with the 18s, and what I should do about it?

man, scatch those second rims I posted, right now Im thinking about these vs. the black Chrome Boss's that i posted earlier:

They are R1 RACING Hype Machined W/ Black

I love that chrome lip!

Which one do you guys like more, I honestly cant pick, i would be happy either way i guess.:D

#6 ·
Just watch the offset ;)

#7 ·
Just finished looking up this rim are you sure it will fit on your car? Did you make sure that the bolt pattern is right?

R_johnson246 said:
IDK. I just think that me filling those wheel wells with 18" would be cooler. :cheesy:

dont get me wrong, i like the Saab 17s and the way they look bigger than they really are, but its just not big enough in my opinion. Sry..:cry:

Does anyone think that rubbing would be a problem with the 18s, and what I should do about it?

man, scatch those second rims I posted, right now Im thinking about these vs. the black Chrome Boss's that i posted earlier:

They are R1 RACING Hype Machined W/ Black

I love that chrome lip!

Which one do you guys like more, I honestly cant pick, i would be happy either way i guess.:D

#8 ·
Woohoo!

It's time for another round of "what rims does alex like"!!!

Since you're still in high school I'll keep the price below $200 a rim, and a quick look at tirerack shows you a bunch of interesting options, so here we go:

Enkei SC03, 17", $180

Moda MD1, 18", $199

The always-popular Rial Nogaro, 17", $170, 18", $203

Sport Edition CD, 17", $109, 18", $128

Sport Edition F2, 17", $89 a pop, this one's a personal favorite of mine

ASA AR1, 17", $143, 18", $160

Borbet Type FS, 17", $175

Borbet Type LS, 17", $147

And if you want to really out-do your friends, you can pony up an extra $25 a wheel and get a set of OZ's (that also happen to look like angular Viggen wheels)

OZ Canova, 17", $226

#10 ·
I don't know which rims you have now, but some of the conventional Aero rims are beautiful... and you can find those on ebay for a relative discount... plus, it would add to the "look" of the car by keeping with the Saab style... which is, after all, why you bought the car in the first place....

For example...

Wulf has some sick rims as well... standard saab i think.... so do many of the fellas (and ladies?) on the forum....
but, ultimately, it comes down to the rims that send shivers down your spine but don't hurt your wallet....

gaudy does not equal cool.... imo.

#11 ·
If you're going to mod your car, why not actually mod it? Rims are not a mod. They are a cosmetic item.

If you're going to spend that much money, why not make your car fast, instead of adding weight and potentially slowing it down?

A tuning chip/ECU mod for the car will give you plenty of extra horsepower for the same buck as rims + tires...

#14 ·
SaabBlackMan said:
Just finished looking up this rim are you sure it will fit on your car? Did you make sure that the bolt pattern is right?
Umm, all it said was something like "4 and 5 bolt patterns available, but thats it...

Chris 9-5 said:
Just watch the offset
I feel like such a loser asking this... but what is offset exactly? thx

natijoe said:
I don't know which rims you have now, but some of the conventional Aero rims are beautiful... and you can find those on ebay for a relative discount... plus, it would add to the "look" of the car by keeping with the Saab style... which is, after all, why you bought the car in the first place....
I have these babies:

While i liked them for a while, and they make the car look modern still, they are only 16" and are growing old with me..
As far as Saab OEM rims go, they are just way out of my budget, and I kinda was looking more for a 18" rim than 17s, but that doesnt mean they are totally out of the equation.. I will keep looking for Saab rims, however, on Amazon and Ebay, and Craigslist... But as you know, those deals are not around forever, and I only have SOME of the money now, not all of it (but close).
If you're going to mod your car, why not actually mod it? Rims are not a mod. They are a cosmetic item.

If you're going to spend that much money, why not make your car fast, instead of adding weight and potentially slowing it down?

A tuning chip/ECU mod for the car will give you plenty of extra horsepower for the same buck as rims + tires...
I have the infamous V6. Ya know, the one thats a weakling with a turbo attached to make it "seem" faster than it really is..
With that said, i know that the ECU upgrade is gonna cost an extra $400-$600 more than the rims will. Thats a lot to me!!
I would rather get rims first, then get the ECU upgrade, because to be honest, the car is fast enough to get me where i wanna in a timely manner.. more grunt is fine, but at the moment I really cant complain.:p

Kermit. THOSE RIMS ARE AWESOME! Love the 18" rials. My bank card doesnt:cry:. $190-$200 per rim is my absolute MAXIMUM for a rim. MAX!! not a dollar more unless i really cant live without them rims :)

G
#16 · (Edited)
this thread is fun to peruse for ideas:
http://saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88312&page=1&pp=20

i had your wheels and added the saab turbine accessory wheel which, at least in my opinion, was a huge improvement. just changing the rims can make a quite a difference.

of the wheels acbarnett posted, the rial nogaros adn the asa ar1s are my faves. i haven't seen either on a 9-5 but the nogaro on the 9-3SS looks really sharp.

#17 ·
blixahaha said:

i had your wheels and added the saab turbine accessory wheel which, at least in my opinion, was a huge improvement. just changing the rims can make a quite a difference.

of the wheels acbarnett posted, the rial nogaros adn the asa ar1s are my faves. i haven't seen either on a 9-5 but the nogaro on the 9-3SS looks really sharp.
those mudflaps make me all hot and bothered, and I'm a big fan of those wheels as well

#19 ·
I had 19" rial nogaros on my 9-3ss last year, but I kept bending them ( I have 5 slightly bent nogaros sitting around).

It could be the way I drive or the fact that they are 19s, but I feel these bend farely easily. The 19" AT Italia Nidos I have now fare so much better on the roads

BUT, the nogaros did look GREAT

My .02

G
#20 ·
Where did you get those? Dealer? I've wanted a set for a while but have never seen them on ebay. I'm a cheapskate and not willing to spend 1200 bucks on a new set that will inevitably live outside with the car.

blixahaha said:

G
#21 ·
I got these wheels from a junkyard but 3 of the 4 bent in short order. Nice looking wheels but terrible quality. My stock 2001 10 spoke wheels will tear before they bend. Strange as the ones pictured are 02+ and are made by fundo just like the 01 set. The car looks great on the old stock wheels now that its slammed.

#22 ·
I had 19" rial nogaros on my 9-3ss last year, but I kept bending them ( I have 5 slightly bent nogaros sitting around).

It could be the way I drive or the fact that they are 19s, but I feel these bend farely easily. The 19" AT Italia Nidos I have now fare so much better on the roads

BUT, the nogaros did look GREAT

My .02
Thats what I'm worried about since I'll be moving to the Northeast this coming July, and their roads are worse than horrible.

I think Ive got my rims selection narrowed down quite a bit now:
  1. I know I cant afford Saab rims, so thats out of the question.
  2. I know I think I like the Boss 318 Rims that I put in my first post. (I dont know to get Chrome or the Gunmetal that I posted.
  3. I kinda like these. they are called Momo Strike:
I am certainly not traditional with my tastes, but I just think dark rims would complement the car in so many ways, since the car IS black and all.

The momos' are so much cheaper too. $160 a rim on ebay. seriously! You cant beat that with a stick!

The thing that Im confused about is the Bolt pattern and a little about the offset.

I thank bobsaab for the link, but I just dont understand how you correct offset. The BOSS 318's have high offset from what I read. and Im not sure about the MOMO's. The Bolt pattern, if im not mistaken, on the 9-5's is 5X110 (?). And the MOMO's are 5x114. Does this mean they cant fit? or is it something I shouldnt worry about?

THX:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.