SaabCentral Forums banner

Power gain questions... Aero 9-5!

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Kermit 
#1 ·
Hey all. I'm currently looking for a little bit of an upgrade.

I drive a 1997 Audi A4, 1.8t (upped to 220 hp), 5 speed, AWD. It's a fun little car but I'm craving something a bit sportier.

After seeing a review for a 9-5 Aero, seeing its mid range acceleration I'm interested. Not a fan of SAAB looks, but I' can deal with it for that.

I have a few question for all of you SAAB nuts.

I've sourced a 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero, manual 100,000 miles.

1. Reading the stage upgrades... What would a ECU remap, red injectors, intake and cat-back exhaust give me in turns of power and torque?

2. Are Saabs understeery compared to Audis, I'm specifically worried about torque steer.

3. Anything else I should be worried about since my intentions are to get a 9-5 aero?

#2 ·
Stage 3 from most tuners is about 300hp and 325 torque. That depends on auto or manual though. Auto's are less torque to protect the trans usually.

Saabs definitely understeer compared to an AWD car. You can get upgraded rear sway bar that helps a little. The suspension is pretty solid, so there isn't really any torque steer. But it is a heavy FWD car, so there is understeer.

Aero's are the way to go. Better turbo, suspension, wheels, etc. You want to be sure to get a car with complete service history and oil changes at least every 5000 miles. These engines are prone to sludge unless synthetic oil is used at pretty regular change intervals. Also want to be sure it has PCV update #6. You can search what that is, but it's important as it relates to the sludge issue.

#3 ·
Saabs aren't the only ones that have sludge issues. Audi's also have that issue. But the build quality of a Saab 9-5 is alot better than the A4! The ECU upgrades for Saabs are more money but Audi's are more tunable software wise. But that is because of more interest in the Tuner world in Audi's than Saabs. I honestly can say that I got tired of VAG vehicles just because of the constant upkeep of them. Try out a Saab and I think you will be impressed. Also do a search on this site for some recommedations on what mods to do.

Also this post is just my opinion.;)

#4 ·
1. Read the Perfomance FAQ and check out the specific tuner websites. Each offer a different set of numbers for hp and torque after each respective tune. They are generally similar. Im pretty sure you will have the red injectors in a 2000 aero.....someone correct me if Im wrong.

2. Torque steer is not a huge problem generally. It however can be a problem specifically when heavy on the throttle while lane changing. Just like any car, you have to get used to how it drives and handles. Understeer is an issue, but it is as with any large car. You can always install an LSD to help combat these issues.

3. Sludge isnt really an issue with an aero as it is with the lpt. I have a 2002 aero with 150,000 and dropped the sump a month ago. I was really happy with the amount of sludge that wasnt there. Make sure you have the latest PCV upgrade as well.

EDIT: Colorado's all over this! :cheesy:

If you are concerned about looks, (I think saabs are one of the best looking cars out there) look into a MY04 to 05, they have the best looking bumpers IMO.

#5 ·
Sobo said:
1. Reading the stage upgrades... What would a ECU remap, red injectors, intake and cat-back exhaust give me in turns of power and torque?
Intake will add noise - not much else

Cat back will help response a little - maybe

Red injectors - should already be installed on an Aero I believe

I would suggest an ECU upgrade from one of the popular and respected tuners, plus for real gains on an Aero, a better intercooler, downpipe and race cat would really help with response and in avoiding heatsoak.

Of course one of the biggest gains in point to point performance will come from decent tyres / suspension and brakes making far better use of the good power levels the Aero has as standard.

Getting the best out of the standard car should perhaps come before adding more power?

#6 ·
Welcome to Saab Central by the way :p

#7 ·
Thanks guys!

I like it here already, you guys are friendly and quick!

I'm kinda worried of how big this car is in person. I love the size of my A4, its sporty yet still practical.

I'm looking for something very sporty, very practical, and with a ton of acceleration. Is this the right model saab for what I'm looking for? Should I look at the 9-3 Aero?

And I guess I look retarded trying for power, I'm just used to the laser accurate handeling from my A4, the sports suspension, big brake kit, and good tires have me covered well.

#8 ·
Maybe look at the 9-3 Viggen. Or if you can wait a few years, or your budget allows now, the new 9-3 Turbo X or regualr 9-3 when it comes out with AWD (XWD)

The 9-5 is big. Comfy for 5, but lacks the suspension and agility of an A4. (Just got an 06 A4 quattro for my wife) The 9-5 is much more comfortable on the highway, but with FWD, not the canyon carver the A4 is capable of being.

#10 ·
Sobo said:
And I guess I look retarded trying for power, I'm just used to the laser accurate handeling from my A4, the sports suspension, big brake kit, and good tires have me covered well.
Unless you plan to spend heavily, the 9-5 doesnt sound like the car for you.

Please test drive some before you buy ;)

#11 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Please test drive some before you buy ;)
You just know he'll buy a 9-5 if he test drives a decent one. If you are worried about torque steer the Viggen is not the car for you, even with a VRK they will still have you holding on for dear life under hard acceleration. The 9-3ss however may be a better compromise, smaller and better handling than the 9-5 but ultimately not as comfortable/roomy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.