SaabCentral Forums banner

Thinking about painting my calipers

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ragtopcav 
#1 ·
I've looked around and seems like G2 epoxy caliper paints are the best affordable and easiest solution (powder coating requires more $$$ and disassembling calipers). However, G2 requires all 4 wheels to be done at the same time. I was thinking about putting the car on 4 jack stands to take off the wheels and do the job. Does that sound like a good idea? Or is there a better solution? Any input appreciated ;)

#2 ·
That is the best way to do it. G2 works great. You can mix half the paint and do the front only first though. Then mix the rest.

Best to paint on a cool day as the hotter it is, the tackier the paint gets and it's hard to get smooth coverage. On a cool day though, the paint dries like shiny plastic.

#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
I did my calipers in G2 silver end of last summer. Used a wire brush to get all the rust off, but still the calipers were brown in color so I was concerned about the paint adhering.

9 months later, and through a winter, calipers look great - as if they were just painted. Also, this paint does not attract break dust at all.

Highly recommend G2.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the input. I just did my brakes 3 weeks ago (was stupid not to paint them the, oh well), so I'm not looking forward to taking them apart again. I'm glad you agree with G2 - that was the stuff with best reviews on many forums (mostly Lexus tuners :D).

What about putting all 4 corners on jack stands? Good/bad idea? Any trick to that?

#8 ·
Do it, do it, do it! I used the rattle can and havent been dissapointed.....yet. No chipping or peeling. Make sure you clean them EXTREMELY well. I used a small wire brush and about two cans of brake cleaner.

I did mine in black....I like the stealth look. Although I must say the redstuffs look nice in there. Here is a hard to see photo.

#11 ·
MacNoob said:
Is that what the early '99 rear calipers look like?
Yes indeedy (its a 1998 car) :p

#12 ·
I went with the two pack epoxy brush on kit - tough as old boots! Even brake fluid resistant.

The trouble is that they supply enough to mix 50/50 in one can and it is a one shot job. I have spent years [in what seems another life] working with tooling resins and this gave me the confidence to mix up just the amount I needed in a third party pot and I was able to mix enough for a light coat on 1 pair of calipers and then once the surface had gained a tackyness that did not lift, it was ready for the second layer [as per gel coat building methodology] and this worked extremely well. My red AP Racing calipers are in this as are the front calipers on my wife's daily driver [stg 3 9000 2.3] As the paint has been sealed back up I can do the other calipers at my leisure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.