SaabCentral Forums banner

turbo upgrade

3K views 45 replies 16 participants last post by  MacNoob 
#1 ·
hi all, is there a direct replacment upgrade turbo for a 02 aero? iv seen the gt28rs from abbott but i think thats a bit expensive.
cheers

#2 ·
There is this one:

http://www.maptun.com/webshop/shop_info.php?id=263&rubrik=31&kategori=78

In short: "Bolt-on" replacement turbocharger upgrade for output up to 350 hp.

For whom: For 9-5 Aero/2.3T/220 owners wanting power beyond stage 3 with a 100% bolt-on install!

Details: New turbocharger, based on the MHI TD04HL-15T, but with a ported compressor and turbine housing and upgraded compressor wheel (-18T instead of -15T). 100% bolt-on install on cars equipped with MHI TD04HL-15T: B235R (9-5 Aero) and 9-5 2.3T/220. Clipped turbine blades and a flow capacity of appr. 350 hp
I have a similar one on my car.

I thought Abbott did a hybrid TD-04 too? (maybe not I cant see it on their site)

#4 ·
This safe limit thing is an interesting one......

I am running about 375 bhp on stock internals - have been doing so for over 2 years now without problem, however, Nordic aren't happy for me to add anything further without forged pistons.

One thing thats clear, poor software / tuning will kill your engine, infact piston failures on standard power cars are sometime seen too.

Maybe I've been lucky, certainly she doesnt get driven hard for long periods - where in the UK could you :roll:

I recently debated the whole GT28 thing and decided that it would not actually benefit my car, I need the power as soon as possible, our roads are too short / congested around here to wait longer on a more laggy turbo for massive power to eventually appear - at the same time as a roundabout no doubt :roll:

Personally I now want some custom mapping done - live on the road - rather than bigger turbos etc - I may visit Abbott Racing for that.

Many tuners say 300-320bhp is when you need forged pistons though.

I bought my turbo from a chap in the US, his business was closing and I did really well, paid about £350 if I recal :p

#5 ·
wow thats a bargain! iv got a fear of melting pistons from my last car a nissan 200sx which i melted a piston and im sure it would be even more expensive to repair a saab.
i dont suppose you'v got any tuning parts you'd like to sell have you chris? :roll:

#6 ·
james-aero said:
i dont suppose you'v got any tuning parts you'd like to sell have you chris? :roll:
Nope sorry pal :confused:

#7 ·
Pistons

Ya I have not quite figured the low friction pistons out yet..... at high altitude driving with lower than 91 octane seems to be catastrophic to the top surface of these pistons, I had a 2001 saab lpt 2.0 that at 29,000 miles I lost piston 1 and they replaced that piston and new head, 32k I lost cylinder 4 due to the same thing the piston was actually melted away on the top till it blew a hole clean through it......totally stock car, dealer said airmass was the culprit, I really don't think that was the only thing......I think the owner that leased it used 85 octane the first 28k and living in denver I believe that it had a hell of a life filled with predetination, though I find it odd that the apc did not protect the motor....my 9-5 base boosts just at the sniff of 85 octane......at least when I lived up there....fuel / air mix in texas on chevron 87 octane is well above normal, where as up there it caused my car to lean out and it would base boost..

#8 ·
james-aero said:
wow thats a bargain! iv got a fear of melting pistons from my last car a nissan 200sx which i melted a piston and im sure it would be even more expensive to repair a saab.
You could get your TD04 made into a hybrid for less than that - Ie getting a 18t compressor wheel put in (bored out and bigger one put in)

It would be a hybrid as you still retain the smaller No.5 exhaust housing.

p

#10 ·
#11 ·
joeblogs26 said:
please dont tell me by changing ur turbo, you went from stock too over 300 bhp with out changing anying thing else!
I dont think I said that.........:confused:

The car has:

The upgrades:

* Custom NORDIC Software
* Hybrid TD-04HL 18T 6# Clipped Vane Turbo
* Lightened Flywheel
* Quaiffe LSD
* Siemens Deka 630cc Fuel Injectors
* 3.5 Bar FPR
* Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
* Abbott Racing Intercooler
* Abbott Racing Delivery Pipe
* Abbott Racing Race Catalytic Converter
* Abbott Racing Full 3" Stainless Steel Exhaust
* Genuine Saab Huge Intake (Cobra Pipe)
* Custom Fuel Rail
* Saab Racing (Ray Yang) Lightweight Crankshaft Pully
* Forge Dump Valve
* Ram Air Open Air Filter
* Full Hirsch Suspension Shocks and Springs
* Hirsch Rear Lip Spoiler
* 18" Stienmetz Alloys
* Brembo Four Pot Front Brakes
* Aero Vented Rear Brake Conversion
* EBC Redstuff Pads All Round

#13 ·
Hi guys,
talking for turbos I got another Mitzi 15 to play with.Do you now where in UK except Abbott I may order just 18 cold part,without this sophisticated core replacements and bla bla..?
Also is there noticeable increase in the lag with 18 compare to 15 wheel Mitzi.:roll:

#17 ·
Without a software upgrade your performance could drop - extra lag :cry:

But you are correct, adding a bigger turbo doesn't simply add horse power.

#19 ·
You can get a lot more out of the 15T before by remapping and adding a 3" downpipe, race cat and better intercooler.

#21 ·
I have the drop in one from Abbott, but to be honest, the front mount one I got from eBay did a great job, its just a bit more complicated to instal (but way cheaper).

#23 ·
joer said:
Anyone know about a turbo upgrade (I know anything might be considered an upgrade over one on there now) for the V6?
You know, you could try sending that turbo to Abbott Racing or someone else and have them make it a hybrid like for the LPT and Aero turbos they do. They'd also probably be able to do a custom map for ya. Not promising anything though.

I don't know the limitations on power on the V6 internals, might wanna take a look into that as well.

#24 ·
james-aero said:
Am i right in thinking that by changing to a 18t compressor wheel you would see power gains?
Or would it just be that the turbo would be able to cope with a higher horse power.
Did anyone whos done this upgrade notice a big gain in power?
I decided to put in an 18t using my original TD04 No.5 as I was playing around with lag times - the larger housing in the no.6 may cause extra lag etc..

I originally used it with stage 4 software designed for the 15t No.5, with ETS intercooler etc etc.

I can confirm that the car did pull a lot better (especially up the rev range) and the induction noise as the turbo sucked the air through a standard aero turbo inlet/cobra was lovely!

I then got software and bigger injectors to match - then it was really nice:cool: ! (for about 50 miles but that's another story)
P

#25 ·
paolo said:
I decided to put in an 18t using my original TD04 No.5 as I was playing around with lag times - the larger housing in the no.6 may cause extra lag etc..

I originally used it with stage 4 software designed for the 15t No.5, with ETS intercooler etc etc.

I can confirm that the car did pull a lot better (especially up the rev range) and the induction noise as the turbo sucked the air through a standard aero turbo inlet/cobra was lovely!

I then got software and bigger injectors to match - then it was really nice:cool: ! (for about 50 miles but that's another story)
P
OK Spill Psitons went ( I think that part of this story) or something else?

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.