SaabCentral Forums banner

Seaching for Intercooler 28x6x2.75

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Al's Red Wagon 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking to do the front mount intercooler It seems that Godspeed who sold it before, is no longer on ebay any other suggestions any knows where I can get an intercooler with that size. Or can I go with the 28x6x2.5''?

I found this one What do you guys think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMIC-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-28x6x2-5-ECLIPSE-DSM-GSX-GST_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ022QQitemZ350063237993QQtcZphoto

OR

This one seems cheaper:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/28"-...4635631QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL080528124a32700

Here's a list of stuff you'll need:

* intercooler 28 x 6 x 2.75"
* 3 x 90 degree aluminium bends with added straight length
* about 2.5 inches of the aluminum tubing, you can use the scraps from the other piping
* 3 x 2.5 silicone couplers
* 1 x 2.5" to 2" reducer coupling
* 1 x 2.5" 90 degree coupling
* 2 x 5/16 screws about 1" - 1.5"
* 3 x 5/16 screws about 0.5" - 1"
* clamps to go along with the coupling... 10 i think plus a smaller one for the turbo
* Mack daddy 3/8 drill bit, i used whats called black carbon bit... has to go through what i believe was made from the skin of superman (the bumper)
* drill
* sawsall with metal cutting blade
* jack and stands

See less See more
#2 ·
Go through a user called "just-intercoolers". Incredible intercoolers for the price.

This is the one I have and it fits perfectly below the bumper support and above the Aero lip.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRa...013QQitemZ230255540694QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Stick to 2" piping (inlet/outlet on the intercooler too) as well, 2.5" is too big and causes performance loss. Plus everything else on the car is 2", so there's no reason to change sizes all over the place.

Oh, and also, I didn't drill into my bumper. That intercooler lines up perfectly with holes that were pre-drilled into the bumper. I just got an "L" bracket from Home Depot, cut it to size and drilled holes where I needed them. It's stunning how stable it is as well.

#3 ·
Sweet I am going to order it. Thanks a lot I can get the piping from him right?

SectorNine50 said:
Go through a user called "just-intercoolers". Incredible intercoolers for the price.

This is the one I have and it fits perfectly below the bumper support and above the Aero lip.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRacing-Intercooler-Universal-Turbo-FMIC-28X5-5X2-5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ013QQitemZ230255540694QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Stick to 2" piping (inlet/outlet on the intercooler too) as well, 2.5" is too big and causes performance loss. Plus everything else on the car is 2", so there's no reason to change sizes all over the place.

Oh, and also, I didn't drill into my bumper. That intercooler lines up perfectly with holes that were pre-drilled into the bumper. I just got an "L" bracket from Home Depot, cut it to size and drilled holes where I needed them. It's stunning how stable it is as well.

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Sry gents for bringing this one back not too long after it trailed off. This is the route I want to go in hopefully the not too far off future but I'm wondering about clearance issues. socrazy2992 just posted up some pics of his wagon, http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1281142&postcount=1, with the IC sticking out just a bit below the lip spoiler. Has anyone run into issues with that?

With my Aero sans matched lip spoiler (due to careless parking and a deer) I'm a bit eh about this. I do intend on replacing the pretty bits at some point. I figure the solution may be just to get a slightly smaller ie shorter IC but I wouldn't want to sacrafice usability there. Can anyone who's done the front mount for an Aero or otherwise post up their clearance? Or measure up the difference? Is it even an issue?

Any input is much apprecaitd as always.

#7 ·
jonneh said:
Sry gents for bringing this one back not too long after it trailed off. This is the route I want to go in hopefully the not too far off future but I'm wondering about clearance issues. socrazy2992 just posted up some pics of his wagon, http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1281142&postcount=1, with the IC sticking out just a bit below the lip spoiler. Has anyone run into issues with that?

With my Aero sans matched lip spoiler (due to careless parking and a deer) I'm a bit eh about this. I do intend on replacing the pretty bits at some point. I figure the solution may be just to get a slightly smaller ie shorter IC but I wouldn't want to sacrafice usability there. Can anyone who's done the front mount for an Aero or otherwise post up their clearance? Or measure up the difference? Is it even an issue?

Any input is much apprecaitd as always.
The recommendations above were cited from my Aero. :cool:

#16 ·
I wonder what that writing in red means :confused:

#18 ·
Hrm, odd that you got a code after you did it, your far from really any electronic sensors down there other than the outside air temperature sensor...

If it were the IAT sensor that got knocked loose, it's pretty easy to get to. Right below the dump valve on the delivery pipe.

Other than the code, how'd it go?

#19 ·
SectorNine50 said:
Hrm, odd that you got a code after you did it, your far from really any electronic sensors down there other than the outside air temperature sensor...

If it were the IAT sensor that got knocked loose, it's pretty easy to get to. Right below the dump valve on the delivery pipe.

Other than the code, how'd it go?
It took forever I started at about 7 that afternoon didnt really finished till about 11 30 or so and I still wasnt done I had to double check everything. The thing is I found out that it was leaking. it made this whistling sound at high revs so I have to go back and make sure that everything is tight. Thanks for checking up

#20 ·
SaabBlackMan said:
The thing is I found out that it was leaking.
Silicone will get softer with heat... Tighten your clamps as much as possible, then drive and get it up to operating temperature. Once it is hot, you tighten everything AGAIN. Then you shouldn't have any more issues ;)

Air leaks will cause all kinds of wonkiness with the computer. I suggest you get those fixed first before you worry about your IAT (beyond checking that it is plugged in properly of course).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.