one confused 900 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: one confused 900

saabingmad
26th May 2008, 03:29 AM
hey guys,

for about the past year my car has been confused, when i first start it up it doesnt know whether or not it wants to be hot or cold... what i meen is that as soon as i start up my car and drive about 3 miles it jumps up to hot and gradually in the next few miles it comes back down to normal, now im not sure why its doing this, but im pretty sure its not supposed to do this, its like my car gets the flu every once in a while... has anyone else had this issue? ive already replaced the thermostat with no change, what else can a poor guy do?

thanks

SM

grif900
26th May 2008, 11:15 AM
It sounds to me like an air bubble in your cooling system. Try bleading it by opening the brass fitting on the t-stat housing. I use a length of clear tubing leading into a container. If there is air in there you will see it, when the stream is steady coolant close the fitting, you can even recycle the coolant if you want to.

Tomarse
26th May 2008, 11:47 AM
Or could be that

a) the wire to the sender is broken/loose (they corrode a lot at the end). clean it up and check it is firmly attached to the sender (under the thermostat housing IIRC)

b) the sender is knackered

c) the gauge is playing up.