SaabCentral Forums banner

steering wheel controls after changing cd player

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  DDP3337997 
#1 ·
I just finished installing kenwood player and even though I haven't changed speakers yet , sound has improved quite a bit. I knew that there will probably be a problem with remote controls on wheel. But this unit has a small remote control with pretty much the same controls as saab steering wheel and the kenwood unit has separet remot.cont. connector (pin) I am thinking about giving this job to some audio workshop, but i would rather do it myself, so I wanted to ask is there a more or less easy way to do this ? Maybe someone has done that and can share some pictures or something ?

Thank you in advance !

#2 ·
Here is some information about the steering wheel audio controls

Power supply, 5v

(Switch ohm)
vol- 82
vol+ 164
SRC 248
Seek>> 464
<<Seek 794
NXT 1474
Normal 3674

5% tolerance

Looks like from WIS to be a three pin connector with a white/black wire on the left and a green wire on the right, no center wire.

#3 ·
Im a professional car audio installer. the remote pin your talking about is it the blue/white wire>? because thats not what your thinking. what you need to do is get a steering wheel control interface. Perephial makes some good ones that work for our cars i beleive the model is swix you will have to mount a infared l.e.d. to send the signal and hook into the data wire which will interpret the signal sent. not too difficult to install just takes some time to program if not familure with the product.

#4 ·
Saabcog, what is wis ? :p

It was the blue/white wire :p this sounds quite complicated to be honest. Where could I get that steering wheel interface? what l.e.d stands for ? and hook into which data wire ? do you maybe have some pictures?

And how much aprox. would this all cost if I decide not to do it myself?

#5 ·
WIS = Workshop Information System (Saab data cd)
L.E.D = light emitting diode.

If you had done your homework you would have bought a head unit that the manufacturer provides a wheel control interface to allow you to use the Saab provided buttons. Visit the website of your head unit manufacturer and see if they do an adaptor, i know Alpine do one for certain. The adaptor plugs into the rear of the head unit and the two control wires replace the Saab wiring in the steering column wheel shroud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.