SaabCentral Forums banner

Increasing turbo efficency

841 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  SectorNine50 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm the owner of a 2004 Aero with auto-box. Because of that I don't think it is a good idea to increase the power in this car. I see the lack of overboost (in comparison with the manual aero) as a sign of the limited torque handling capability of this auto tranny.
I was thinking on maybe improve the responsiveness of the turbo. I want to have a flatter torque curve for even more rpms :D. I could even increase the power output by mantaining the torque for more rpms (as the 260hp aero does).

I think that a front mounted intercooler + better piping + bigger exhaust could acomplish this goal. In other words, I think that I can eliminate some problems that are intrinsic of mass produced cars.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
I would agree that the hardware changes you mention should improve responsiveness and offset heat soak.

#3 ·
oravla said:
I'm the owner of a 2004 Aero with auto-box. Because of that I don't think it is a good idea to increase the power in this car. I see the lack of overboost (in comparison with the manual aero) as a sign of the limited torque handling capability of this auto tranny.
Not exactly true. The autobox is service rated to 400Nm so there is scope for increasing. The decent aftermarket tuners put in torque-limits in thier software to protect the gearbox in the lower gears before mechanical lock-up takes place. The Saab approved Hirsch tuning packs for the auto's also have increases to 400Nm.
Fitting a better autogearbox oil cooler would also help.

oravla said:
I could even increase the power output by mantaining the torque for more rpms (as the 260hp aero does).
260hp Aero does this with a different intake pipe (cobra pipe) and revised software, so no you won't get any increase in power on a '04 without doing the same mods.

oravla said:
I think that a front mounted intercooler + better piping + bigger exhaust could acomplish this goal. In other words, I think that I can eliminate some problems that are intrinsic of mass produced cars.
Yes a better intercooler (not neccessarily a front mount one) and 3" exhaust will make it a bit more responsive and as Chris says, help with heatsoak and allow Trioinic to make the power/torque with less boost on warm-hot days.

#4 ·
One thing I can say (and have said several times before on this form... hope I'm not getting preachy... :eek: ) is that having a front mount intercooler was one of the the best mods I've done to my car. Since the stock intercooler is behind the A/C condenser, hot days were absolutely AWFUL in terms of power. Had a hard time passing people, had to downshift 2 gears sometimes to get by safely. Once I fitted the eBay bargain FMIC that I have now (search the user justintercoolers on eBay, actually very well made intercoolers.) I maintain power in every bit of weather, A/C on or off. Made long highway drives in hot weather a lot more bearable since now I don't have to compromise either A/C for power or vice versa. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.