Have I destroyed my wheel bearing? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Have I destroyed my wheel bearing?

L0WRIDE
18th May 2008, 09:49 AM
Ok so I feel like a complete idiot but here's the deal... I've been having massive vibration in my front right wheel. I figured it was the inner drive, so I ordered a replacement axle assembly because it was much cheaper than just buying the inner drive. Well I figured that I could take the axle out and just leave the inner drive in and drive it back to my garage due to I was at a friends house. So after removing the old axle I just buttoned it all up and put the wheel back on and the realized that the car can't drive with onle one axle? :) I rolled about 3 meters and realized that (a) the car wouldn't drive, and (b) the car was making a grinding noise from the spendle... I took it all back apart and it looks like inside the spendle the bearing has flared? the sides are rounded on the bearing and if im not mistaken they should be flat correct?

I was right on the inner drive... one of the bearings on the tri-pod bearing had totally exploaded! So I know I have that taken care of.

Do I need to replace the wheel bearing now, and if so is it a tough job? what all is required to do the job?

Please let me know if you have a minute.

Jim Mesthene
18th May 2008, 10:40 AM
The Wheel Bearing is toast.
If the Tripod joint was damaged, check the Driver carefully.

Hanso
18th May 2008, 10:45 AM
You will not be able to drive anywhere with only one axle because the differential will put power to the axle with the least resistance on it (think of having one tire on ice and ther othe on dry asphalt).

There is a bearing in your inner driver housing that likely got damaged from all the vibration. Take the housing off and turn the bearing by hand, you will be able to hear or feel if the bearing needs replacing.

Mr.Wallace
18th May 2008, 04:09 PM
The Wheel Bearing is toast.

Burnt toast, its a cheap and simple part to replace.