Transmission shifts seem odd [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Transmission shifts seem odd

mykdee
16th May 2008, 09:06 AM
I've noticed that if I take a left turn at about 20 MPH, the tranny jumps 1000 RPMs and then shifts.

I think its from 2d to 3rd, but not sure. I want to experiment with this a bit more to see if I can repeat it to make better note, but I was wondering if this was a sign of something going bad?

Is there something that I can do to the tranny to help avoid it?

Chris 9-5
16th May 2008, 09:12 AM
What is the age, colour, level of your transmission fluid?

mykdee
16th May 2008, 09:45 AM
Purchased the car with 57K miles. I asked the mech. he says I can wait another 25K miles before changing.

I'm thinking I should do it sooner, esp. with what I'm seeing.

Color seems to be dark pinkish, but to be honest its hard for me to tell.

You think I should just have the fluid changed?

Chris 9-5
16th May 2008, 09:59 AM
Draining and refilling the transmission is pretty simple, but if the level is ok and its still pink it may not help............

MacNoob
16th May 2008, 11:03 AM
Check fluid level carefully according to the complex instructions in the owner's manual (not like checking engine oil). Improper fluid level can cause RPM flare. If the fluid is still pink and doesn't smell burned it's probably OK, but you're at 60k miles and probably due for a change. Drain/refill what you can, drive a few miles, repeat, until you've used 12L of fluid. You need 3309 or Toyota Type IV, NOT Dexron III.

mykdee
16th May 2008, 01:43 PM
but you're at 60k miles and probably due for a change.

That's what I thought as well, but when I asked the mech. he stated I could go another 25K before changing. It almost sounded as if he just changed the fluids.

Even still, I might have it changed anyways. It couldn't hurt.

mykdee
1st February 2009, 11:20 AM
I've had the transmission fluid changed earlier this month, and haven't had a repeat. However, the weather may play a part in this, as it was happening more frequently in warmer weather.