SaabCentral Forums banner

Looking to Upgrade Brakes please help.

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  XAAMOTTOMAAX 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what brakes you would recommend for the replacement on a 2000 saab 9-5? I am looking for some performance brakes that won't send me breaking a bank. I was taking a look at these but they are for an Aero and I have an LPT I am not too sure if it would fit. What do you guys think?

I was looking at these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAAB...34684583QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330234684583&

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
SaabBlackMan said:
I was just wondering what brakes you would recommend for the replacement on a 2000 saab 9-5? I am looking for some performance brakes that won't send me breaking a bank. I was taking a look at these but they are for an Aero and I have an LPT I am not too sure if it would fit. What do you guys think?

I was looking at these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAAB-9-5-99-01-Aero-Frnt-Rr-D-S-Brake-Rotors-Pads_W0QQitemZ330234684583QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330234684583&

If you want to maintain standard calipers and discs then a set of Ferrodo DS2500's in the front (properly bedded in) with a decent 5.1 fluid (changed twice as often as spec'd by the OEM) will see you well sorted.... assuming your current discs are in good nick.

Cheers
Icy

#4 ·
SaabBlackMan said:

I was looking at these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAAB-9-5-99-01-Aero-Frnt-Rr-D-S-Brake-Rotors-Pads_W0QQitemZ330234684583QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330234684583&

Aero rotors willl not fit a 2000 base model, the diameter of the front rotors will be too large. I don't know about R1Concepts, their prices seem great, but who makes the rotors? My guess is the least costly foundry they could find in a developing nation, quality control be damned.

I recently replaced all pads and rotors on my 2000 base model with Zimmermann cross-drilled rotors (for appearance purposes only) and Mintex semi-metallic pads (the ones in the Red box) for just under $400 part cost. 40% more than the R1Concepts prices you found, but companies with long histories of quality brake components.

#5 ·
MI-Roger said:
Aero rotors willl not fit a 2000 base model, the diameter of the front rotors will be too large. I don't know about R1Concepts, their prices seem great, but who makes the rotors? My guess is the least costly foundry they could find in a developing nation, quality control be damned.

I recently replaced all pads and rotors on my 2000 base model with Zimmermann cross-drilled rotors (for appearance purposes only) and Mintex semi-metallic pads (the ones in the Red box) for just under $400 part cost. 40% more than the R1Concepts prices you found, but companies with long histories of quality brake components.
I am not too sure about the R1concept I was just searching around but where could I get the zimmermans and Mintex you speak of?

#6 ·
No point what so ever having drilled discs for the above chap, they make an extremely marginal difference in wet weather performance and trade durability purely for a reduction in unsprung rotational mass.

On a sports car you may want this as big steel discs are heavy and drilling lots of holes in them can save you a surprisingly large amount of weight. Plus the durability issue is par for the course as most cars of this nature will be used for parading about rather than proper work.

Cheers
Icy

#7 ·
Icarus said:
No point what so ever having drilled discs for the above chap, they make an extremely marginal difference in wet weather performance and trade durability purely for a reduction in unsprung rotational mass.

On a sports car you may want this as big steel discs are heavy and drilling lots of holes in them can save you a surprisingly large amount of weight. Plus the durability issue is par for the course as most cars of this nature will be used for parading about rather than proper work.

Cheers
Icy
Thanks for the advice..so now I am trying to figure out what my next step is.

#8 ·
Get some good pads.
Hawk HPS.
Akebono's.

Something along those lines. Those, coupled with stock Brembo flat faced rotors will get you some pretty good braking.

If you want Aero brakes, get the caliper carriers from an aero. Bolt on and then you can use the 308mm disks. That is a great upgrade!

#9 ·
StX221 said:
Get some good pads.
Hawk HPS.
Akebono's.

Something along those lines. Those, coupled with stock Brembo flat faced rotors will get you some pretty good braking.

If you want Aero brakes, get the caliper carriers from an aero. Bolt on and then you can use the 308mm disks. That is a great upgrade!
Caliper carriers? Is there an actually difference between the Caliper and the caliper carriers. Dont mean to sound dumm here.

#10 ·
Yeah the calipers are the things that squeeze the brake pads against the rotors and the carriers are just the things that the calipers sit on keeping them in place on the rotor.

genuinesaab.com has the aero brake upgrade kit. If that's more than you want to spend, get some better pads and if you really want to upgrade your stopping power, upgrade your tires! You will be doing yourself a huge disservice if you upgrade your brakes and then get some heavy rims with cheap tires. Get a lightweight rim and a high quality tire and some nice pads and you will be set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.