SaabCentral Forums banner

The demise of my Auto...

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  microq 
#1 · (Edited)
Driving a reasonably modified 2001 Aero and me been active on a few SAAB sites l have often, in fact very often been given advice that due to the level of my tune my Aisin auto box would explode , or turn to grey mush, fall out on the road at the most inappropiate time and even worse levels of mechanical destruction. However l must report , sadly at 147000 kms the auto decided that enough is enough, l can say rather than the catastrophic failure that apparently l was due to have it was somewhat dissapointing. l was on a weekend club run through the fast and furious winding roads of the Alpine region of Victoria ( Australia ) when that certain light indicating gearbox problems came on ... on hard acceleration it unfortunately decided that any it would go for the "lottery" style of change any gear except reverse would do:eek: . Concerned, that as l was many 100 kms from assistance and that the portents of auto box doom were correct , plus hitting the rev limiter, l rested a while l then continued at a somewhat slower pace. l can say that l finished the weekend trip car and driver intact , the auto kept the " faith" and did not fail. On strip down there was one major problem the RH drive shaft had twisted in the splined coupling and could not be removed, l replaced the whole auto with another rebuilt auto box. I have never held back on driving this car and l have taken it to over 300 Kws at the wheels, for those owners with similar model cars based on my experience these auto gearboxes are well built to withstand a increase in power.

See less See more
#3 ·
300KW's at the wheels is IRO 450bhp at the fly and no doubt heading for 400ftlbs of torque. That's a very strong auto box to deal with that!

I'd be tempted to log some ATF temps and see if the standard cooler is sufficent. If not a larger gearbox cooler may aid reliability considerably........ although as you twisted a driveshaft then the diff/shaft area may be worth investigating rather than the box itself.

How many miles did you do at that? I'm honestly very very impressed LOL

Cheers
Icy

#4 · (Edited)
responses

Thanks you for the response , firstly l have considered a manual, some time back however the fitout plus there are hardly any manual 9.5's in Australia to use as a replacement made it all bit too difficult, if l get the same type of reliability out of the new auto for a similar number of km's l will have no complaints
Icarus , we checked the whole drive system including the backlash "float" clearances on the diff and all looked OK , unfortunately the old auto is cactus cannot remove the drive shaft without severe damage. When the problem occured l drove 240 careful kms under 100KPH ( 60MPH) to get back home.

Icarus said:
300KW's at the wheels is IRO 450bhp at the fly and no doubt heading for 400ftlbs of torque. That's a very strong auto box to deal with that!

I'd be tempted to log some ATF temps and see if the standard cooler is sufficent. If not a larger gearbox cooler may aid reliability considerably........ although as you twisted a driveshaft then the diff/shaft area may be worth investigating rather than the box itself.

How many miles did you do at that? I'm honestly very very impressed LOL

Cheers
Icy

#5 ·
Who organised the Drive-day? I live a stones-throw from the Vic Alps, and would loved to have joined in!

#6 ·
The drive was part of a weekend trip including an overnight in Rutherglen, the drive, accommodation, lunch , dinner and breakfast all organised by the SCCA Victorian branch....

#7 ·
aeroo said:
Driving a reasonably modified 2001 Aero and me been active on a few SAAB sites l have often, in fact very often been given advice that due to the level of my tune my Aisin auto box would explode , or turn to grey mush, fall out on the road at the most inappropiate time and even worse levels of mechanical destruction. However l must report , sadly at 147000 kms the auto decided that enough is enough, l can say rather than the catastrophic failure that apparently l was due to have it was somewhat dissapointing. l was on a weekend club run through the fast and furious winding roads of the Alpine region of Victoria ( Australia ) when that certain light indicating gearbox problems came on ... on hard acceleration it unfortunately decided that any it would go for the "lottery" style of change any gear except reverse would do:eek: . Concerned, that as l was many 100 kms from assistance and that the portents of auto box doom were correct , plus hitting the rev limiter, l rested a while l then continued at a somewhat slower pace. l can say that l finished the weekend trip car and driver intact , the auto kept the " faith" and did not fail. On strip down there was one major problem the RH drive shaft had twisted in the splined coupling and could not be removed, l replaced the whole auto with another rebuilt auto box. I have never held back on driving this car and l have taken it to over 300 Kws at the wheels, for those owners with similar model cars based on my experience these auto gearboxes are well built to withstand a increase in power.
Hey, sorry to hear about the box - the autos have their days now and again, but hey, sounds like ur having fun around the mountains. My mate and I head up around the kinglake/eltham/healsville area often. Never seen you out there, you may have seen him, he drives a Golf GT and usuall has a trail of cars including Holden, Audi, etc. Im a silver 9-5SE from the first generation of 1998!

Now, what I really want to ask is where do you get your parts, etc for tuning in Melbourne?

D

#8 ·
l decided to use Abbott for most of the kit , expensive but having a fullservice representative in Melbourne with Swedish Prestige was the main reason.

microq said:
Hey, sorry to hear about the box - the autos have their days now and again, but hey, sounds like ur having fun around the mountains. My mate and I head up around the kinglake/eltham/healsville area often. Never seen you out there, you may have seen him, he drives a Golf GT and usuall has a trail of cars including Holden, Audi, etc. Im a silver 9-5SE from the first generation of 1998!

Now, what I really want to ask is where do you get your parts, etc for tuning in Melbourne?

D

#9 ·
Swedish Prestige

aeroo said:
l decided to use Abbott for most of the kit , expensive but having a fullservice representative in Melbourne with Swedish Prestige was the main reason.
Ahhh ic ic...so yo umanaged to get 300kw!? what exactly have you done?
We should meet some time I would love to see your ride and discuss options for mine!...do you use an IM program? I use msn messneger - add me on liquidradiation@gmail.com

So, Swedish Prestige, where are they located?

D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.