SaabCentral Forums banner

At-home Tuning?

868 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Icarus 
#1 ·
So I've been doing a lot of reading about how to go about making my '04 9-5 as fun as I can without breaking the bank (I'm a med student, so I'm already six figures in the hole). I've read all about the different tuners, the smart mods and the mods that are nothing more than making slow cars look "pretty", but my real question is this....

Is there any way to do my own tuning through laptop software for under $1000?????

It looks like this is a viable option for plenty of other GM cars, but I'm having a really hard time finding anything about it for Saabs. If there's a hardcore Saab nut out there who has difinitively figured this one out... PLEASE!!!!

I'd be happy to throw in a little medical advice in about a decade, providing your advice doesn't lead to any major explosions.

Thanks!

#5 ·
I dont think anyone has cracked T7 engine management yet I'd leave it to the experts..........personally :confused:

#7 ·
turboj said:
They're working on it over at www.ecuproject.com
You'll have to be patient and wait for it.
Would that refer to the link I posted in the first reply then :roll: :roll:

#8 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
I dont think anyone has cracked T7 engine management yet I'd leave it to the experts..........personally :confused:
Loads of people have. Took us 40 mins using off the shelf kit, the MD of the place next door to us has a 9-5 Aero which we pinched for an afternoon.

There is even some chap here:

http://pikkupossu.1g.fi/tomi/projects/trionic/trionic.html

Who has written a few little programs to allow you to do it. Use WinOLS to edit the cal to your requirements. You'll need the WinOLS T7 plug in to calculate the checksum or use the chap aboves kit which seems to do it as well.

Seems his name is Tomi Liljemark, well done Tomi - good work there!

Just be gentle with it. Reading and writing the cal is the easy bit. Knowing what you are doing with regards to the calibration itself is the hard bit. I cal a lot of stuff, both road and race and its taken me a decade to get to the point where I am now. If you only have a wideband or similar available you're going to have to bin any Euro compliance (or similar US equiv) as you won;t have the gear to measure what you need to accurately and will just have to go for safe AFR. As for spark you're going to need plenty of time on the rollers to optimise that, although with a turbo motor you can be very lazy and just fiddle the boost and fueling......... this is what most lazy aftermarket 'mappers' do as it offers good gains with very little work.

Cheers
Icy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.