SaabCentral Forums banner

Pt Cruiser filter for Saab 9-5?

8K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  SectorNine50 
#1 ·
What about the "urban legend" of using the Mobil M1-209 oil filter (which is for the pt crusier turbo) on our Saab 9-5? I belive that Mobil M1-102 is the filter for the 9-5 Saab 1999 4cyl? Thanks for the "comments".:cheesy:

#7 ·
I have used them for 2 or 3 years.....

In addition to the Motorcraft, Fram, and Mobil-1 numbers, varities include:

Purolator Pur-One PL20195
Purolator Premium L20195
A/C Delco PFL400A

I usually buy the Pur-One, but once got a lot of seven Motorcraft for only $8 on e-Bay, and sometimes the M1-209 is free (or nearly free) with purchase of Mobil-1 oil.

There is less pressure drop across the larger filter area, which reduces likelihood of the filter by-passing internally, improves oil delivery through the engine, and is the same cost as a regular sized after-market filter. Less expensive than a Saab filter (except the Mobil-1 choice) and more convenient to purchase (unless you live above a Dealership).

The non-Turbo version of the PT Cruiser 4-cylinder engine uses the same small filter as our Saabs. Chrysler saw fit to install a larger filter on the Turbo version, maybe to better protect the turbo, maybe to better protect the higher stressed engine. Saab didn't.

#8 ·
Anyone in the UK caught on to this?

#9 ·
I've been meaning to use that filter for some time now. The local autoparts store didn't stock the Mobile 1 version, but now that I've done some research and switched to Pureolator, I'll have to see if they have it.

#10 ·
SectorNine50 said:
I've been meaning to use that filter for some time now. The local autoparts store didn't stock the Mobile 1 version, but now that I've done some research and switched to Pureolator, I'll have to see if they have it.
Found the Mobil 1 version at both advance auto and Walmart... I do it too :cheesy:

I do believe MI-Roger was the first to post this up....:cool:

#11 ·
Al's Red Wagon said:
Found the Mobil 1 version at both advance auto and Walmart... I do it too :cheesy:

I do believe MI-Roger was the first to post this up....:cool:
I can't take credit for this as I am pretty sure I found it posted somewhere else. But I have shared it freely!:cheesy:

#13 ·
nbndtrain said:
Shouldn't you be using more oil if you are using a larger filter?
This car takes a little over 4 qts anyway, I just fill up the filter almost all the way before I put it on and it covers that part.

#15 ·
To add my voice to the "why do it" - these little filters do not have enough area to pass the full flow from the oil pump at high rpm (over 3000 rpm). As the flow increases proportional to engine speed, the pressure drop across the filter increases to the point that the bypass valve opens. This means unfiltered oil goes to the engine. I plan to check into this.

There is also the issue of cold viscous oil at startup.

#17 ·
AeroJay said:
I change my oil through Saab dealers to qualify for the extended engine warranty. will Saab dealerships put this filter on or should it start looking at some indie shops now.
Your gonna have to ask 'em. Bring one to them and see what they say at your next service.

#18 ·
AeroJay said:
I change my oil through Saab dealers to qualify for the extended engine warranty. will Saab dealerships put this filter on or should it start looking at some indie shops now.
If I were worried about the extended engine warranty, I would use stock size filters so that they can't blame anything on my use of the wrong filter. You shouldn't need to get the changes done at the Saab dealer though, as long as you have documented proof (receipts etc) that the oil was changed according to severe service intervals using the correct oil and filter. Saab dealer certainly is safest because they can enter the maintenance in IRIS.

#19 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Anyone in the UK caught on to this?
I'll stick with the Saab OEM one thanks, as I remember Dr.Boost's comments on the 'newer' Saab one.....and I know whose advice I'd rather take....;) :cool:

Been there, done that......as I also remember similar wise words many years ago over using alternative oil filters on Lotus engines instead of the OEM one, and saw a fair few shagged engines as a result.

#21 ·
Nothing wrong with a bigger filter as long as it seals properly, and in this case, it does. Normal 2.4L PT Cruiser uses the identical filter to ours. The PT Cruiser GT's only difference is the turbo and the block is identical, so that means the only difference is the filter is just longer. There is no harm in running a larger filter, in fact, Saab is the only turbocharged car I can think of that runs as tiny of a filter as they do. Audi puts on as big of a filter as my 5.7L Tahoe on it's 1.8T's.

At my summer work we opt to put on a larger filter and synthetic oil on the 5.7L and 6.0L competition ski boats than come from factory because they run at higher RPM's all the time. Haven't lost a single engine due to the filter either. (Had one guy take a ton of water into his intake though, that wasn't pretty...)

I'd personally rather have a larger filter that won't go into bypass in performance driving (where filtering is really needed most) or clog nearly as fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.