SaabCentral Forums banner

WP pro 6 piston pads

8K views 58 replies 14 participants last post by  Icarus 
#1 ·
Anybody know the interchange on the Wp Pro 6 piston pads? I had it at oe time and seem to have lost the info. I want to try a bit different pad this time around and cannot seem to match up the pads short of just ordering 10 sets that are close and seeing what fits. All of this is compounded by the fact that they are now really thin. ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
As far as I remember-the pads from one European minibus was with same size.May be it is FIAT Ducato,just may be.
I'll try to check and let you know.

#3 ·
If you can scan/photo a pad then chances are I can match it.

However who the bloody hell are WP? Those calipers look awfully similar to the stuff coming out of Taiwan under the K-Sport/D2/Similar named brands....... The material quality isn't 'bad' but its no where near good either. The design of the piston sealing is horrible as well and to be honest I think they'd last about 5 laps on a race car, on a road car you'll probably get away with it. Oh and if they are anything like the D2 ones we tested then an OEM single piston sliding caliper has better rigidity.

If they have a metal brace/retainer holding the dust seals in its a good sign of how poor the seal retaining is!

Sorry to sound like I'm rubbishing your brakes but having seen a lot of this stuff first hand and advised a lot of people not to use it/stock it/resell it as a result I'm quite frankly horrified how much poor quality stuff (mainly in terms of design) is making its way over to the US and UK from Taiwan/China. No doubt they'll be lots of people posting now to say they've used them on x/y/z and they were brilliant. To be clear I speak purely as an engineer.

Don't get me started on the sodding Taiwanese coil over dampers!!!

Cheers
Icy

#4 ·
Yeah WP's are Taiwanese, but from what I've heard the quality is about the same as Wilwoods. The quality isn't quite up there with AP Racing, Stoptech or Brembo, but you get what you pay for and they're a pretty good product for the money, at least from the ones I've seen in person.

#5 ·
ACBarnett said:
Yeah WP's are Taiwanese, but from what I've heard the quality is about the same as Wilwoods. The quality isn't quite up there with AP Racing, Stoptech or Brembo, but you get what you pay for and they're a pretty good product for the money, at least from the ones I've seen in person.
Lots o people trash wilwoods but for the price ( same as WP or less) the quality cannot be touched ( at least by the Tawain parts of course)

#6 ·
Jssaab said:
Lots o people trash wilwoods but for the price ( same as WP or less) the quality cannot be touched ( at least by the Tawain parts of course)
Wilwoods are quite "old tech" but there is nothing specificaly wrong with them. They also offer a very good range to suit many applications and their integral handbrake mech is pretty clever.....if again a bit agricultural LOL

The Taiwan made stuff however has very few redeeming features. Its not even that cheap!

Cheers
Icy

#10 ·
I found the pads and got some Hawk HPS on the way. I have been very happy with these brakes. At the time stoptech and some of the other manufacturers were too full of BS to deal with, Yes I tried and sent all the info, even arranged the 10 kits only to hear you can sell them to that person.. etc. :roll: The Wp seem nice and being able to get them plain with no logo looks nice and lowkey.

#11 ·
Raven18940 said:
I'm curious what "old" tech is and what "new" tech is.
Caliper and brake design in general has moved on massively in the past few years. You can now buy an extremely good race capable ally 4 Pot for £100. The Wilwoods are okay but just aren't up there in terms of design with whats available now for similar money.

Cheers
Icy

#13 ·
Caliper and brake design in general has moved on massively in the past few years. You can now buy an extremely good race capable ally 4 Pot for £100
Where can I do that?
I still hope that very nice Brembo,Cayenne type B callipers will fit under my clings.

Here are WP callipers with Rotora hats and discs-there are similar sizes.

Are Rotora good company?

#14 ·
Icarus said:
Caliper and brake design in general has moved on massively in the past few years. You can now buy an extremely good race capable ally 4 Pot for £100. The Wilwoods are okay but just aren't up there in terms of design with whats available now for similar money.

Cheers
Icy
Well what sort of advancements have been made? I'm just curious really.

All these brakes are neat and all, but I don't go to a track enough to warrant the investment.

#17 ·
Lucky you:cheesy:!The stock size brakes,with even higher class pads and discs are hot enough to burn calliper paint after 20 min spirited driving on curvy road.
On our annual meeting we overtested my car and heat resistant calliper paint burn again,brake fluid seems boiled=new pads+Motul DOT 6 racing brake fluid+repainting.But the sport model of Renault was defeated:

Compare with similar size cars-E class,5 series,A6 etc 9-5 has very poor stock
brakes.
Even "sporty"-Aero models can't compare with S6 or AMG brakes,so that we have to do something to correct this injustice.

#18 ·
S6 or AMG with 100-200 more hp and far greater curb weight than an Aero? Poor comparison I'm afraid. Size is not important. Weight is important and all of the cars you are comparing are far heavier and are not similar in that regard.

I'm sure "spirited driving" in a nearly lawless Eastern European country is a bit different than "spirited driving" in Northern VA, USA. I wish I could drive in a manner that would boil my brake fluid but unfortunately I am limited to about 70mph max without risking immense fines and license suspensions. What you are describing sounds a lot more like race conditions than "spirited driving" otherwise you would not be competing against "the sport model of Renault".

#19 ·
DoctorPhill said:
Where can I do that?
I still hope that very nice Brembo,Cayenne type B callipers will fit under my clings.

Here are WP callipers with Rotora hats and discs-there are similar sizes.

Are Rotora good company?
From Renault. The Brembo 4 pot used on the Clio Cup and Megane 225 is a lovely bit of kit, Radial mount, very rigid for a road car caliper, well sized for use as a replacement for a large single piston sliding caliper its also light for a road caliper and we're proven it in race conditions running a 24 hour race on a completely standard road car caliper without failure (set of pads every 8 hours though!). I believe a similar car to ours has placed very high in the Dubai 24 hours, again running the same brakes.

Cheers
Icy

#20 ·
Raven18940 said:
Well what sort of advancements have been made? I'm just curious really.

All these brakes are neat and all, but I don't go to a track enough to warrant the investment.
Material quality, design (allowing less material/weight whilst improving strength), casting/machining quality for cast/billet calipers (again stronger and less weight), internal or cooled external fluid cross overs, seal material, piston material (Ti is now pretty common), Solid halves design (i.e two halves to a cheap caliper rather than two standard halves with a bridge in the middle to allow many halves to make lots of different width calipers) and of course monoblock calipers (milled from a solid billet as a single piece so very very rigid).

Cheers
Icy

#22 ·
ut unfortunately I am limited to about 70mph max without risking immense fines and license suspensions
It seems that in the lawfull countries over the pond you definitely don't need Saabs thou :cheesy:

#23 ·
Icarus said:

Cheers
Icy
I am guessing this is not an Alcon kit is it? Google shows price of Alcon brake kits in the thousands of dollar range.

#26 ·
Icarus said:
See my other post for details chaps.

Cheers
Icy
I did read the entire thread. I also checked the Alcon website. No setups for Saabs listed. My google searches show full kits (rotor, calipers, pads etc.) in the multiple $1000 range. :eek:

Please educate me what you are referring to as the 100 quid units. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.