Turns over but will not start [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Turns over but will not start

harryhots
4th May 2008, 04:31 AM
Any help here will be greatly appreciated!

I have a 98 9-3 2.2 Tid 107,000, had it for a year now with no problems whatsoever until yesterday!
Parked up for about an hour then car would not start, turns over fine but just would not fire up, called out the AA and after doing a few checks (fuel pump fuse, something called an inertia switch) they got me going by spraying some kind of 'easy start' type spray in the air filter box while i cranked the engine, left the engine running for a few minutes, turned off then turned on again and it started up fine, drove home and switched engine off, checked 2 hours later and car would not start again!! I could use the spray again but ive been told that if the spray is used too much the engine can get addicted to it and eventually will only ever start with the spray!!!

Ive been told it could be a fuel problem, like fuel not getting through somehow, but then the engine does start immediatly after switching off, the problem is only after the car has been left for more than about an hour, the other thing is glow plugs, is that a possibility?

If anyone can throw any light on this i will be eternally greatful!

Thankyou
Nick

john bernard
4th May 2008, 08:05 AM
I would suggest getting a fuel pressure test gauge. Test the ability of the system to maintain pressure after you shut down. It should retain at least half the normal pressure after about 30 minutes. this is based on a gas engine, I don't know if a diesel would be any different. If it isn't holding pressure, items to check are check valve and fuel presssure regulator.

earthworm
4th May 2008, 08:24 AM
If this beast uses glow plugs as the older Diesels did during the 80s.ect..,then they do not work..

The Saab dealer and the owners should know this, these plugs are a maintenance item..
The units in the '85 VW were $15 or less each and good for roughly 50K miles..
Trust the dealer to move the decimal point in the price....
If no glow plugs(preheat devices) are used and Saab uses a different heat source, then, ;oops: ;oops: ;oops: ;oops: ....
Also, do the usual service checks and fuse/relay checks..(get to know the vehicle)

hkayssi
4th May 2008, 09:21 AM
I would suggest getting a fuel pressure test gauge. Test the ability of the system to maintain pressure after you shut down. It should retain at least half the normal pressure after about 30 minutes. this is based on a gas engine, I don't know if a diesel would be any different. If it isn't holding pressure, items to check are check valve and fuel presssure regulator.

I agree, it sounds like a check valve issue to me too.

harryhots
4th May 2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated, think i will start with the glow plugs as no one has ruled them out and that is something i can hopefully do myself. After that i think it will be taking a trip to a garage.

Thanks again

earthworm
4th May 2008, 01:02 PM
I'd guess that Saab/Opel use the VM Motori Diesel..

For 2009 this company will make a new V6 version for Cadillac and ...well, you know GM.
This state of the art unit used pietzo-resistive(sp?) pressure sensors incorporated into the glow plugs..
Pollution control is a very expensive proposition, in the olde days the Mercedes or VW glow plugs were about $10 each; these new ones may total out at $500 or more for the V6.....