SaabCentral Forums banner

Quick review on suspension/brake upgrades

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  numbersix 
#1 · (Edited)
As stated previously, I had new OEM Aero springs, Bilstein HD's, new strut bearings, control arm bushings, and Goodridge stainless steel brake lines installed with a fluid flush.

I've only put about 40 miles on it since I got everything installed (schedule hasn't permitted much more than that). Overall I'm very pleased. The ride is very flat and controlled. It might be a bit rough over broken pavement to some, but I find it to be an acceptable tradeoff.

The whole platform feels substantially better. The OEM Arc suspension felt very worn out at 50k miles, causing the car to feel very old/worn/loose. Before, throwing it into a high speed corner (freeway offramp, say) was unsettling as you weren't sure how the car would react due too much body movement. Additionally, the car would crash into potholes with very little impact damping. Now, it's just firm and flat. Steering response is much improved, as well--not sure if that's the strut bearing replacement I have to thank for that or not.
Overall, I'm very happy I went with the Bilsteins. I've always been pleased by their balance of ride/handling on my former cars, and this is no exception. I don't think I'd want this any stiffer than it is now. I pumped the tires up to 40psi and the ride was too jiggly over small bumps, so I'm down around 37 now which seems like a good compromise.

In my mind, this would have been the ideal setup for the OEM Aero. I really want to drive my dad's '04 Aero wagon back to back on the same roads to see how different the setup really is. Hopefully we'll have that opportunity here soon.

The stainless lines have firmed up the brake pedal response notably. I have another SC member to thank for that--I never would have installed them if a) he hadn't convinced me they make a significant difference, b) he didn't have a spare new in box set lying around. If anyone is looking to do a +1 brake upgrade, I'd say these + the Akebono pads should make you very happy if you're mainly doing normal street driving. I'd swap out for a more aggressive pad (Ferodo) for a track day, though.

Next up, I'm going to swap out the current '03 Aero wheels for a set of the these:

'04 Aero evo wheels. I'm going to refinish them prior to installing them...waiting for a sunny weekend day to tackle that. I think the car will look quite different with them installed. They always appear to be larger than 17" on my dad's car, and I can't wait for the ease of cleaning.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks very much for posting that! Glad to hear another happy Bilstein customer! I swear, those guys need to be paying me commission :lol:

Now I am quite excited about my brakes upgrade. I am getting 308's up front and 300's in the rear, with stainless lines and DOT 5.1 fluid. It should be a huge upgrade from stock + PBR ultimate pads.

#4 ·
I was biased toward the Bilsteins from the off, and your input sealed the deal.

I didn't want to lower the car substantially as the nose of the car already was vulnerable to some of the steep driveway/parking lot entrances found in central Seattle, so that's what drove the Aero/HD choice--I would have gone with H&R/Bilstein otherwise. I wonder if the H&R/Bilstein Sport setup would have rode better than this--H&R springs are shockingly good in that regard.

The Goodridge lines made a substantial difference--and I changed nothing else but those and the fluid. I recommend installing them at your next fluid flush. Before, quick stops were a bit sphincter-tightening as the pedal was so mushy. No such problem now.

Thanks for the input, guys. Now, I wait for a warm enough day to tackle the wheel painting...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.