SaabCentral Forums banner

Good open air intake other than the one on GS?

2K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Icarus 
#1 ·
I am looking to get an open air intake what s good one to buy other than the $80 one on GS?

#6 ·
In a turbo charged engine package there isn't a lot to be had from changing filters as you can get away with an amazingly small filter and still make very good power.

Anything you go beyond spending some proper money developing something will be mainly for noise and as such if you have no issue with water induction etc. then do what every one who's ever brought a Cosworth has done..... nail the largest open element filter possible to it. Won't make any more power but will sound like it does!

For what its worth we run ITG WTCC spec airboxes and it really is a brilliant bit of kit. A smaller version of this is available for the 9-5 from Abbott IIRC. We run the 100mm version on a 2litre N/A single throttle body engine which revs to around 8K and makes 120bhp/litre in 10K KM life endurance race spec. We run such a big filter as essentialy we want as close to zero pressure drop as possible and feed the airbox from a high pressure zone above the front splitter to aid in this.

Cheers
Icy

#7 ·
K&N filter plus rain = H2O

My fear is that driving my 99 9-5 linear wagon over rain puddles will mean water getting into engine. I have to keep cleaning my filter every 2 weeks, bugs and dirt and stuff in it, only driving 600 miles per week. Should I put the OEM back on and just drill holes in it and then get a better filter to not let water in, or am I being like chiken little?:confused:

#12 ·
makai72iraq said:
My fear is that driving my 99 9-5 linear wagon over rain puddles will mean water getting into engine. I have to keep cleaning my filter every 2 weeks, bugs and dirt and stuff in it, only driving 600 miles per week. Should I put the OEM back on and just drill holes in it and then get a better filter to not let water in, or am I being like chiken little?:confused:
I don't have a guard on mine and I drive in the rain all the time. I'm not suggesting that anyone else do the same, but I've never had any issues (that doesn't make it ok).

I have a special K&N water-phobic filter cover made for watercraft on order, but it is out of stock and keeps getting back-ordered and I keep running with an open filter.

Here is my filter after a storm that flooded the streets.

The filter cotton was damp, but I've never felt like water was going to be sucked into the works. YMMV and I don't want to be responsible for someone's blown engine because I told people it was ok to not have a splash guard.

#16 ·
makai72iraq said:
Oh, just remebered, have my intake thing that is in front of the rad blowing air into my K&N filter, 3in blowing air, but I dont see since it is turned the other way!! Took the fog lamp off, so air also goes right too the filter again, my humble thinking more air = more fun!!
Yeah and where did you get that?? Can I buy one?

#19 ·
makai72iraq said:
The thing in front of the rad and inter should be fact I am assuming. You can go online to any site and they have them, but all turned into the rad not into the front of the grill...Hmmm
What???????? :confused:

#21 ·
MacNoob said:
He's talkin' about the air intake snorkel. The top end of the factory snorkel faces the rad. I bet if you stuck the car in a wind tunnel there's be a little high pressure area right there.
I cut the top so that the air would go straight throw and not come in from the top. I would assume it would work better. I was looking at this though. http://www.mimousa.com/home.asp?dir=products&prod=2878
It would work well because it has a shielding around it. What do you guys think.

#24 ·
SaabBlackMan said:
I was thinking of getting it but i am waiting for my ideas on it. Maybe someone bought it who knows.
I really like the GS setup since the filter is quite large. It also cost me 6 bucks to make the splash guard.

#25 ·
valbowski1980 said:
I really like the GS setup since the filter is quite large. It also cost me 6 bucks to make the splash guard.
yeah it also does sound really nice. I drove a 9-3 at one of our meet up with the GS filter installed and the car sounds really nice. Most likely I am going to go with the GS filter I just wanted some opinions on it chris already spelt it out for me lol.

#26 ·
On that "encased" thing you would normally attach some ducting to feed the cold air through it - which really is the same as the stock set up so no gains in my opinion :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.