SaabCentral Forums banner

non-interference vs interference

10K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Icarus 
#1 ·
is the 2.3 a non-interference motor? I thought it was non-interference but I am not 100% sure. Help?

#6 ·
TROLLhattenschatten said:
SAAB engines are 100% interferance type.
Just like the wife :roll:

#8 ·
Cliche` said:
The newer H-engines are interference type engines. But the older, as in 1980 and older, B-engines are not interference types.
So which are in a 9-5 then?

#12 ·
Kermit said:
Whether the pistons will smash into the bottom of the valves in the event of the timing belt/chain breaking......i believe. (feel free to correct if i'm wrong)
That is correct. The Saab H engine was introduced with the C900 (B2XX series motors). They are all interference engines. So if timing is not set right, things will smash into each other.

#14 ·
SectorNine50 said:
So what's the advantage of that then? :eek:
Running interference design allows you, amonst other things, to run a higher compression ratio, stronger piston design, larger squish area (as the piston is further up the bore), get better chamber filling, swirl and burn, better emissions etc. etc.

There's no issue with it as on a chain or modern belt engine failures are getting to the point of none existant.

Cheers
Icy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.