-Lower control arm bushings
-Upper motor mount
-IDM
-Spark plugs
-ACC head unit

Performed:
-4 Wheel alignment
-Brake fluid flush

I think there's more I'm missing--I'd have to go get the receipt.

Not a cheap day for either myself or the extended warranty administrator.

And there's more to come...

See less See more
#3 ·
The list wasn't expected to be quite this long, actually.

Didn't know prior that the IDM was failing, nor that the upper motor mount was bad--although I suspected it might be, as shifting from R-->D-->R while stopped (when parallel parking, say) would result in a lot of abrupt drivetrain movement similar to when the upper pitch mount failed on the old 850 Turbo.

Thus far, I've driven the car a total of about 10 miles with the new goods thanks to other commitments tonight. It definitely feels more flat and controllable than before; my biggest beef with the stock setup was the overall lack of body control--the car just felt old and worn. That's just a bad memory now. It's still not a sports car by any measure--the stiffer setup makes the chassis flex more apparent, and the steering feel is nil. But I can tell it will be far more enjoyable overall.

I can tell it's likely going to be much more sensitive to tire pressure. The tires were at 35psi when I picked it up, and I upped that to 40 and noted a big difference in initial impact harshness over small road imperfections. I might bring that down to 38 or so and try to find the sweet spot.

One curious thing: I've heard that rear shocks tend to fail early on these cars--around 50-70k. Mine are 100% fine, but the front ones seem to have zero rebound resistance left--I can pull/push the strut shaft in/out and it will stay in whatever place I leave it. That's not normal, in my experience.

#4 ·
Steering feel was greatly improved with hub braces. An even bigger improvement to steering feel and chassis flex was the subframe brace. Unfortunately that was a one time group buy, and most of them are broken now. We need to harass Nick to make us a new brace, since those lucky 9-3 folks already have more braces than a grade school :lol:

I found that 35psi on 17" tires was my best zone between comfort and road feel. At 40psi the little bumps got quite annoying.

#5 ·
04's = Saab kindly took care of the hub brace upgrade for me.

I hear the subframe brace made a difference. It sounds like Nick is not convinced by the design of the 9-5 brace; if he (or someone of his caliber) were to produce something and could demonstrate the soundness of the engineering behind it, I'd consider buying it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.