SaabCentral Forums banner

How do I know which Nordic I have?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  valbowski1980 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Through a coincidental string of circumstances I recently found out that the previous owner of my car had a Nordic tune installed on the car.

He said he vaguely remembered it being a Nordic Stage 2, but the Nordic Stage 2 specification on the Nordic Web Page involves a cat back exhaust.

At the same time, the Stage 1 Nordic tune seems to have a marginal improvement in power and torque. (This almost makes me want to switch to BSR.) However, both my mechanic and the previous owner state that the car has significantly more pull than a stock model, which would imply a stage 2.

Is it possible to install a stage 2 Nordic ECU without the cat back? What would the effect be? Is there any way I can check my car to find out which Nordic ECU I have?

#2 ·
Yes you can install a staged tune without the accompanying mods. You will not get the total efect of the tune or the tune will not be eficient and all the availalbe horses willno be there. Teh ECU will still adapt to the HW.( and step back a bit) It could cause some issues ( like too high EGTs soem knocking as well)

#3 ·
Jssaab said:
Yes you can install a staged tune without the accompanying mods. You will not get the total efect of the tune or the tune will not be eficient and all the availalbe horses willno be there. Teh ECU will still adapt to the HW.( and step back a bit) It could cause some issues ( like too high EGTs soem knocking as well)
Ahh. How does Nordic do it? Do they reprogram the existing ECU like BSR, or do they physically install a replacement ECU?

If the latter is the case, could I tell by looking at it? Is there any labeling?

#4 ·
If it's a stage 2 without a catback, it's basically a stage 1. Apparently for most tuners, the stage 1/2 software is no different, it's just adaptation from the exhaust that gives you more power.

Then again Nordic does install a 3.5 bar fuel pressure regulator with their stage 2, and not 1, so they must have different software. Thus you could check your fuel pressure to see if it's 3.0 or 3.5 bar. Then you should know whether it's stage 1 or 2 ;)

Stage 3 would obviously require a big 3" downpipe. That one is easy to spot.

I'd assume though, if it's a stock exhaust, that you simply have stage 1.

#5 ·
Typically, there isn't much gain from changing out the cat-back unless the downpipe is upgraded to 3". On my BSR, there is no difference in power between stage 1 and 2 -but then I've got an LPT.

Perhaps there will be a slight change in power for cars with the HOT.

That leave me wondering why even define stage 2 that way.

I've got a new exhaust system (manifold-back) on its way from CTI so I'll find out next week.

#6 ·
Have you spoken to Nordic?

Suppliers usually keep records.....

#7 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Have you spoken to Nordic?

Suppliers usually keep records.....
By VIN you mean? Good idea.

He had it installed during a Nordic Tuning day at Wigwam Saab, a dealer in Providence, Rhode Island that no longer exists. Apparently Nordic came over on a regular basis and did tunes for their customers.

#9 ·
stipud said:
If it's a stage 2 without a catback, it's basically a stage 1. Apparently for most tuners, the stage 1/2 software is no different, it's just adaptation from the exhaust that gives you more power.

Then again Nordic does install a 3.5 bar fuel pressure regulator with their stage 2, and not 1, so they must have different software. Thus you could check your fuel pressure to see if it's 3.0 or 3.5 bar. Then you should know whether it's stage 1 or 2 ;)

Stage 3 would obviously require a big 3" downpipe. That one is easy to spot.

I'd assume though, if it's a stock exhaust, that you simply have stage 1.
3.5 bar FPR doesn't come with a Nordic Stage 2, only Stage 3.

Nordic Stage 1 is ECU
Nordic Stage 2 is ECU and Ferrita cat back exhaust

#10 ·
Just to clear some stuff up..

Nordic came to the states for the first time when they visited our workshop for the tuning day this spring.

Unless it is a really old they have been using 3.5fpr on all the st2 and up t7 cars for a few years.

You can run a stg2 software on an aero with stock exhaust but it will have slightly limited performance. I have done this here. It will increase the knock sensitivity so if you have poor gas it is not the best idea.

#11 ·
NickTaliaferro said:
Just to clear some stuff up..

Nordic came to the states for the first time when they visited our workshop for the tuning day this spring.
After talking to Rolf and Magnus I get the impression they dealt with Wigwam Saab in Providence via email, and the dealer did all the flashing and installations here in the U.S. I could be wrong though.

NickTaliaferro said:
Unless it is a really old they have been using 3.5fpr on all the st2 and up t7 cars for a few years.
Pardon my ignorance. I don't even know what an FPR looks like. What would I be looking for?

NickTaliaferro said:
You can run a stg2 software on an aero with stock exhaust but it will have slightly limited performance. I have done this here. It will increase the knock sensitivity so if you have poor gas it is not the best idea.
This would make perfect sense, as that is what I experienced a few days ago when approaching the redline in second. I took it back to the dealer for service not knowing it was tuned, and thats where I met the previous owner who told me he had the Nordic tune installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.