SaabCentral Forums banner

Turn Linear into Aero

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Jssaab 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 SAAB Linear 2.3t (185hp) and I would like to sex it up a bit. I was thinking about the stage 3 BSR tuning but I heard that it’s not good for your car. Perhaps a better idea would be to put in a new turbo charger, the one they put on SAAB Aero (260hp), but I know that I will have to make other modifications to my car in order for that turbo to operate. I would need a new exhaust system and a downpipe with sports cat + different fuel injectors. Am I missing something? Turn SAAB Linear into Aero - does it sound like a doable project? Do I have to make any modifications to the engine? How much would it cost me?

Do you think BSR is a better idea? I just dont want it to reck my car...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Hello and welcome to Saaabcentral.. don;t forget to psot pics of your car!!!!

I had a 2000 LPT wiht 50 K on the clock, wne tto BSR Stage III and loved it ( more than my 03 9-5 Aero stock) drove it like that hard for 50 k miles with no issues. ( except it really only liked "good" premium gas.

So it have fun and then change the turbo to an Aero ( or better) when the GT17 finally goes. ( I put a Big T28 on mine and it now has 300+ WHP :D )

#3 ·
ayermishkin said:
I was thinking about the stage 3 BSR tuning but I heard that it’s not good for your car..
What???????????? :confused:

No need to change the turbo untill you need to and you have choices outside of BSR if someone gave you an urban myth about them being harmful and you believed it......

Nordic, Maptun, Jak Stoll, Abbott, Hirsch...............and BSR will tune your car.

#4 ·
Why not just sell it and buy an Aero? You'll have to ante up a couple thousand but that's cheaper than upgrading the existing car, and you'll get all the other Aero goodies like awesome sport seats, sexier bodywork, larger brakes, lower/stiffer suspension, leather on the door panels, etc....

G
#5 · (Edited)
Here in the US its cheaper to get a used turbo and computer from a junkyard & hardware from the dealer than it is to buy a BSR box, especially with the dollar being so weak. I have to say with the disparity in price between the aero and linears it makes good economic sense to upgrade and you avoid possible sludging issues down the road.

Oh, and upgrading to aero specs doesn't require any of this nonsense about downpipes, intakes, exhausts, etc. Those parts are all the same. Its all stock parts and reliable... knock on wood:p The exhaust cams are different for the aero, however they are of course mechanical items and thus not an issue for the computer. I think in a blind test you wouldn't be able to tell that my car didn't come from the factory as an aero.

I'm not a fan of the aero body kit. The standard brakes are more than adequate and use the same pads anyway. The only real issue is that one must be careful with the linear clutch on aero power...
In new york state taxes alone are about $2000 for a $15,000 car. I must say i'm all for upgrading..

#6 ·
The tuned software will make the car more agressive and fun to drive than stock Aero ECU.
Much more.:lol:

#8 ·
I would sya that I am all for upgrading the GT17 to Stage III, it get to 260HP stock ( more than a simialr year Aero at 230. It has some awesome torque ( and as we all now know ... what is it children... yes that;s right all together now.. torque moves @ss not HP!)

My BSR Satge III Linear would kick most stock Aero Butt and then some and was a real kick to drive ( more so than my stock 03 Aero) but the Aero is high on the confortable seats though, the best I ever had!!!

Then you have a ncie base to mod if you wnat ot go further...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.