SaabCentral Forums banner

upgrade (what first)

1K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  toxicavenger 
#1 ·
so what to do first. i want to put a catback on, k&N filter, snorkle. and tune it.
not sure what first and what type of tune program to use. it is a 2002 9-5 liner.

#2 ·
GS has a better air filter than the K&N model. But I would do everything u listed first before the ECU, so that u get the full potential of ur ECU upgrade. Also it is according to what Stage u are going with because some of them come with a exhaust and air filter. Also on some of the Stages it is better to have a open air filter.

#3 ·
Sorry but I wouldnt :confused:

Choose your tuner and buy their stage 1

Then decide if you want more ;)

#4 ·
first off, modding is an addiction. you will very likely want more, so starting with a goal in mind and a plan will save you big bucks down the line.

since you have a linear, ideally you'd sort out the suspension and brakes first:
-shocks/struts and springs
-better brake pads (upgrade to a set of aero brakes if possible)
-tires

for power i'd suggest:
-3" dp
-catback
-intercooler
-larger intake (snorkel). you won't be able to benefit from open air anyway. it does sound cool though.
-ecu (along with upgraded fpr if required)

this would get you a well rounded car and maximize the potential of the current turbo. beyond this you have to look at a different turbo and a new ecu to take advantage of it.

#5 ·
I just dont understand these shopping lists :confused:

#8 ·
Why do you need to change the exhaust?

#10 ·
Yes but not till you hit some decent power levels.

#12 ·
Yes it will help, no denying that, but surely you are on a budget?

#14 ·
I would look at what is most worn out and upgrade it. My exhaust was shot so I got the CTI cat-back and when I got sick of bouncing around I got the Bistein HDs... good thing too since my front left strut was shot.

#16 ·
I would atleast get a free flowing muffler to start. U don't honestly need to get a bigger diameter in exhaust pipe unless if u are going for alot more power. Make sure ur brakes are in good working order. And then get a snorkel and a good air filter. After that I would get my ECU. I personally wouldn't waste any money on a IC, Cobra pipe and 3 inch down pipe unless ur goal is over 250hp. Just my opinion.;)
lar95 said:
that sounds good. but the car only has 17k on it. it will prob not wear out for a long time. i am ready to start tuning now just need to learn more

#18 ·
On that car get the cheap airbox snorkel and a stage1 will be nice. Then after that wears off after a while, few months, decide how crazy you want to go. Some people are fine with stg1 or whatever forever.. I got used to my 400hp Vig and went for 500 :D Most fun is to drive my 72 v4 (~100hp) for a while till it feels sporty and then back to the vig for that holy &^@*&$ if you understand. You will certainly feel a difference on the stg1 even.

#20 ·
but it will fell alot better and some say better spool up of ur turbo. I just wouldn't go all out without these things done first or at the same time of ur Stage upgrade. I wouldn't do a cat back, I would get a better muffler and get rid of the suitcase. Ur 2.25 exhaust isn't a bad size of pipe unless u are pulling some horsepower. Oh and it is cheapier to go with just a muffler change. I think the car also feels like it has more torque. Get a cheap snorkel from GS and also there air filter.
lar95 said:
will there be any diff in power with the catback and filter and snorkle only. at this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.