luda's c900 "monster" [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: luda's c900 "monster"

ludichris001
22-04-08, 07:22 AM
hey all i finally got around to starting my project thread. the 900 is off the road as of 5/4/08. so far all seems to be going well.

first off...
THE LIST:

Current to-do list:

Exterior:

1) Strip the car down to just a shell and completely restore the body and chassis, remove all rust, dents and damage.

2) Respray (same colour, cos i like it)

3) Tinted windows

4) SPG bodykit

5) Some nice 17” rims (pref 5 spoke)

6) Customise front grille (undecided)

7) Bridge spoiler or similar

8) HID headlight conversion

9) Mod tail lights (will post details when they’re done)

10) Electric sunroof

11) old style bonnet with the vents on both sides (if i can find one)

12) clear or smoked front parker/indicator lights and side repeaters

13) maybe headlight “eyelids”

Interior:

1) new dash

2) new facia (woodgrain or aluminium)

3) re-do roof lining

4) comlete sony or JVC sound system

5) black leather seats from 9k aero

6) black floor carpet

7) re-do door trims

8) fit gauges where stereo goes and move stereo to centre console

9) going with black/blue colour scheme

10) short throw gearshifter

brakes/suspension:

1) front and rear axles/hubs/brakes etc from a ’92 c900 aero

2) slotted rotors

3) rebuild callipers

4) new upper and lower ball joints

5) lowered and stiffer springs, and maybe height adjusters

6) remove front ARB (aparrantly 900s handle better without it, more research to be done)

7) new shocks (research to do first)

8) strengthen lower wishbones on front

9) adjustable panhard rod

10) all new bushings

11) new wheel bearings.

Electrical:

1) remove all unused wiring

2) complete re-wire depending on condition of existing looms

3) remote central locking

4) alarm and immobiliser

5) wiring to support MS.

Drivetrain:

1) overhaul gearboxes (one as a spare)

2) maybe custon driveshafts and CV’s. OR

3) new cv joints and driveshafts from ‘92 c900

4) exceedy heavy duty button clutch

5) new clutch master/slave cyl’s and hoses.

Engine / fuel / ignition / exhaust:

1) FPT 16v engine, mods as follows:

Complete overhaul with:

a) second oversize pistons (maybe forged)

b) second oversize re bore (obviously)

c) 2.3L head ported and polished (maybe blueprinted)

d) maybe forged rods

e) cams (research to do)

f) complete bottom end balance

2) keeping t3/t4 hybrid turbo

3) custom turbo headers

4) 2.75” mandrel wide bend DP going to 3” system, going to twin 2.5” tailpipes

5) MEGASQUIRT

6) Bigger injectors (research to do)

7) K-jet fuel pump or bosch “044”

8) Aluminium fuel lines

9) 3 bar FPR

10) blaster coil (maybe)

11) stainless or aluminium IC piping

more to come, will keep list updated throughout the whole project and as new ideas come in.

photos in next post.

SpecialTool
22-04-08, 07:57 AM
Wow that's some list. Good luck mate, what's the deadline?

ejenner
22-04-08, 08:00 AM
So what sort of output figures will this 'monster' be making?

ludichris001
22-04-08, 08:13 AM
Wow that's some list. Good luck mate, what's the deadline?

yea cheers mate, no specific deadline yet but somwhere between 6 months and two years. i am going to be very maticulous with this one.
one dodgy thing could lead to a major problem down the track.. i found that out the hard way ;)

ejenner i have set my goal to get around the 300 - 400 horsepower mark.
a shot of nitrous has also crossed my mind, a couple of times..
hopefully the rest of it goes well. i am leaving the engine to last so that way when the rest of the project is done, i can really focus on not only making good power, but building an engine (and gearbox) that can withstand it.

Matthew
22-04-08, 10:22 AM
1) Strip the car down to just a shell and completely restore the body and chassis, remove all rust, dents and damage.
You had my interest at the first task :D

Sounds like a huge project. Interesting and challenging.

Why the aluminium fuel lines? Not much weight saving there over steel.

If going down the Megasquirt route, I suggest coil packs instead of the single Blaster coil.

ludichris001
23-04-08, 05:33 AM
You had my interest at the first task :D

Sounds like a huge project. Interesting and challenging.

Why the aluminium fuel lines? Not much weight saving there over steel.

If going down the Megasquirt route, I suggest coil packs instead of the single Blaster coil.

i will be doing the restore in a similar way to what 9008v did to his '85 N/A.
i am going with aluminium fuel lines cos the plastic ones have deteriorated and crack easily, and aluminum is easier to bend/flare etc.
i will be running the car on ethanol based fuel, so (mild) steel lines may rust and stainless is harder to work with, IMO

i was going to convert to direct ignition but i think i would have more problems than successes. i may go to wasted spark, but it would seem simpler to just keep the dizzy setup, at least until i start having problems to do with lack of spark energy under full load.

ludichris001
23-04-08, 05:52 AM
here are the before shots taken of my 900 on 6/4/08: (first one taken a few weeks earlier)

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/ludichris001/Image003.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/ludichris001/Image10.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/ludichris001/Image1.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/ludichris001/Image3.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/ludichris001/Image6.jpg

ludichris001
23-04-08, 06:03 AM
and some of the engine bay:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/ludichris001/Image7.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/ludichris001/Image8.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/ludichris001/Image9.jpg

saabismi
23-04-08, 08:01 AM
Why is your engine bay wet? :D
Id like to know more about those custom taillights...

Scandia
23-04-08, 07:03 PM
Pic's taken 6-4-08 ? have we gotten there yet ? Luv Notchbacks ! !

Here's mine. 16 Valve turbo conversion, 9000 FMIC, 24# injectors, rising rate fuel pressure reg, custom down pipe, 3" exhaust, stage 2 APC box, Stage 2 ECU prom, 1990 big box, shot peened & cryod all internal parts,factory rally posi. Spike's 28#'s of boost. . . . hold's 25#'s. we figure it to be pushin around 350hp.

Good luck with your project ! ! ...........Dave

http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/albums/Some-hot-Saabs-%21/85_900.jpg

KurBads
24-04-08, 05:12 AM

Here's mine. 16 Valve turbo conversion, 9000 FMIC, 24# injectors, rising rate fuel pressure reg, custom down pipe, 3" exhaust, stage 2 APC box, Stage 2 ECU prom, 1990 big box, shot peened & cryod all internal parts,factory rally posi. Spike's 28#'s of boost. . . . hold's 25#'s. we figure it to be pushin around 350hp.

uhh, ahh ... looks extreeme. 18 inch or more?

ludichris001
24-04-08, 05:38 AM
Why is your engine bay wet? :D
Id like to know more about those custom taillights...

the last drive i took the car on was to college, and spent most of the day on the dyno there, on the way home the rubber clutch line blew off, i was at the lights in 1st gear when it happened, the car launched forward and stalled. i got out to fund a nice puddle under the car and the left side of the engine bay covered with brake fluid. i fixed the line to get it home and spent a couple of hours washing all the fluid off. the only thing i hadnt touched in a month, and was the only thing that had to break :roll:

when i get aroung to doing the tail lights i have decided to tint them, cut out everything behind the lenses and make up LED panels. i will post more details when i do them.

ludichris001
24-04-08, 05:44 AM

hey cheers dave!

damn!
your 900 looks like an absolute beast :o
very nicely done!

just a quick one, what offset are your rims??
or do you know what the maximum offset for rims that will fit a 900?

Saab-Daniel
25-04-08, 09:25 AM
What turbo does that black 2door run? Looks very nice indeed.
Daniel

ejenner
25-04-08, 10:44 AM
Just noticed the luda monster has a 4-speed gearbox?

ludichris001
26-04-08, 06:12 AM
Just noticed the luda monster has a 4-speed gearbox?

huh? its 5 speed :confused:

ejenner
26-04-08, 07:07 AM
Perhaps a 5 speed gearbox with the early main case design? You can see by the style of the dipstick. Wonder if early 5-speeds came with that case or is yours a hybrid - part 4-speed / part 5-speed... it's technically possible.

Obviously you'd know from driving the car that it is a 5-speed. But the majority of 5-speed boxes have the bigger filler / dipstick. Yours just has the dipstick and the filler cap on the cam-cover.

Scandia
26-04-08, 04:20 PM
just a quick one, what offset are your rims??
or do you know what the maximum offset for rims that will fit a 900?[/QUOTE]

I'll have to check. . . . .can't remember off hand. but yah, there 18's. . . .I have had Not trouble with um. that car has sat in the garage for the last 2 yr's. ever since I bought my 06 V70R & bumped that up from 300hp factory to around 370hp. . . .but then again, now that I think about it . . .that just sits too. to keep the mile's down. DD is a 92 945ti.

..........Dave

Scandia
26-04-08, 04:21 PM
What turbo does that black 2door run? Looks very nice indeed.
Daniel

it's the stock turbo . . . .pulled the motor out of a 1990 900 4dr auto. had just over 100K on it. . . .but with the auto under it I knew it hadn't been beaten. . . .or atleast not at that point in time.

.......Dave

Scandia
26-04-08, 04:26 PM
i will be doing the restore in a similar way to what 9008v did to his '85 N/A.
i am going with aluminium fuel lines cos the plastic ones have deteriorated and crack easily, and aluminum is easier to bend/flare etc.
i will be running the car on ethanol based fuel, so (mild) steel lines may rust and stainless is harder to work with, IMO

i was going to convert to direct ignition but i think i would have more problems than successes. i may go to wasted spark, but it would seem simpler to just keep the dizzy setup, at least until i start having problems to do with lack of spark energy under full load.

Did somebody do the front end & rear bumer, side extension swap ? thats a 87 & newer front & rear end. ? ? ?

.........Dave

ludichris001
27-04-08, 05:36 AM
Perhaps a 5 speed gearbox with the early main case design? You can see by the style of the dipstick. Wonder if early 5-speeds came with that case or is yours a hybrid - part 4-speed / part 5-speed... it's technically possible.

Obviously you'd know from driving the car that it is a 5-speed. But the majority of 5-speed boxes have the bigger filler / dipstick. Yours just has the dipstick and the filler cap on the cam-cover.

the 5 spd was from an '86 900i (8v).
when i did the auto to manual conversion, i used the engine oil dipstick from the auto box cos i already had the oil filler in the cam cover (as you know).
the engine and auto gearbox were out of my old '82 900 (R.I.P.)
now i know for a fact that the engine in that was originally a B-type, and someone put a H-type in it from a post 84 900.
as for the auto box im not sure if it was the original or if it was fitted along with the H-type engine.

ludichris001
27-04-08, 05:58 AM
Did somebody do the front end & rear bumer, side extension swap ? thats a 87 & newer front & rear end. ? ? ?

.........Dave

your question has confused me somewhat... but i think saab-daniel put a post 87 front and rear, and side skirts on his '83 900, im not 100% sure on that, you may have to ask him

Saab-Daniel
27-04-08, 03:40 PM
it's the stock turbo . . . .pulled the motor out of a 1990 900 4dr auto. had just over 100K on it. . . .but with the auto under it I knew it hadn't been beaten. . . .or atleast not at that point in time.

.......Dave

My car has the new front and rear yes, it's a MY83 car.

As for your turbo, how come you think it can produce 350hp in stock condition? Never ever heard of that being possible... 250, MAYBE 260, but that would be pushing it far out of it's efficiency-range already...
Just curious...
Daniel.

ludichris001
28-04-08, 05:22 AM
As for your turbo, how come you think it can produce 350hp in stock condition? Never ever heard of that being possible... 250, MAYBE 260, but that would be pushing it far out of it's efficiency-range already...
Just curious...
Daniel.

i would have to agree with you on that one daniel. my stock turbo was only good for 120-150 HP and it was near new...
unless the turbo has been high-flowed and ported, i doubt that it could flow even 250 HP.
on the other hand a stock super 60 trim might get around the 300 HP mark....

po156
29-04-08, 12:03 PM
the car looks sick, i wanna make mine look somewhat like that. where did u get the spg bodykit for it? whats the website?

Alex
29-04-08, 12:55 PM
i would have to agree with you on that one daniel. my stock turbo was only good for 120-150 HP and it was near new...
unless the turbo has been high-flowed and ported, i doubt that it could flow even 250 HP.
on the other hand a stock super 60 trim might get around the 300 HP mark....

The stock T3 will get to around 250 at the flywheel depending on how hard you want to push things, and how good the intercooling is.

Scandia
29-04-08, 01:03 PM
the car looks sick, i wanna make mine look somewhat like that. where did u get the spg bodykit for it? whats the website?

No web site . . . took them off a totalled 1990 SPG.

......Dave

Scandia
29-04-08, 01:08 PM
The stock T3 will get to around 250 at the flywheel depending on how hard you want to push things, and how good the intercooling is.

There's more power to be had than "just" from the turbo. but Yes, I run a 9000 FMIC, turbo spike's 28#'s of boost & hold's 25#'s. the over boost under the dash has been removed. & the stage 2 chip in the ECU removes the 6200rpm limiter.

This old 85 Saab 900 has surprised quite a few Evo's & STI's. . . . of course once we were rolling. not from a dead stop. & even then they pull away at the top end.

...........Dave

TheRedBaron
29-04-08, 01:09 PM
The stock T3 will get to around 250 at the flywheel depending on how hard you want to push things, and how good the intercooling is.I believe Palmer1980 got his car to 230hp and 296lb/ft at the wheels, and that's with a stock T3, MASSIVE intercooler, Jak stoll stage II lh2.2, not too shabby.

Saab-Daniel
30-04-08, 12:00 PM
230, for sure (remember it being at a massive 28psi, which is hopeless on the turbo, and I'm quite sure he agrees :D ), 350, never on a standard turbo on a c900... The other mods, alos not enough to bring on that amount of power...
Daniel.

philb
30-04-08, 12:06 PM
The turbo still has to flow enough air to allow the engine to make the horsepower. Raising the rev limiter - not going to help it. The 9000 fmic is known to be quite restrictive, thats not going to help it either.
You say 24# injectors - you mean 24 lb/hr? You might want to rethink "you figure its makin 350hp".

ejenner
01-05-08, 04:12 AM
Restrictive IC's aren't as bad as you might think.

If you have a huge IC with an inlet on one side and an outlet on the other side the charge will just go straight from one side to the other. It will miss out most of the core and just use the middle bit. By being restrictive the 9000 intercooler causes the air to slow down and get a bit lost. However, too much restriction will require more boost to overcome. More boost is more heat and then the restriction is worse than it should be. Restricting the air is part of the IC design. The 180-degree bend in the original c900 IC is there for a reason!

Chargecoolers are better though :lol:

ludichris001
01-05-08, 06:43 AM
in the last week or so i have made a bit of progress in the strip-down stage

so far:
- removed most of the interior
- removed rear wiring loom(s)
- removed engine wiring loom and fuse box
- removed everything from between the front guads
- found some more rust :roll:
- front half of exhaust is out
- removed front end (lights, cross member, bumper etc...)
- pulled engine out today
- removed front brake lines, brake booster/master cylinder
- removed clutch system
- removed everything else from the engine bay minus the steering rack and other things necessary to keep the car "moveable"

rust anyone??
(btw this is nothing.. basically the whole floor is rusted, i managed to scrape most of the rust proof coating stuff off with a blunt scraper and its looking quite bad)

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/ludichris001/Image043.jpg

hey is this for the electric sunroof switch? it was hiding under the passenger seat...

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/ludichris001/Image037.jpg

will post more pics when they finish uploading...

ludichris001
01-05-08, 07:05 AM
engine before removal:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/ludichris001/Image048.jpg

wheelstand yo! :cheesy:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/ludichris001/Image049.jpg

ludichris001
01-05-08, 07:10 AM
hey does anyone know what that metal plate is for which is attatched to the firewall?
heatshield? crash safety thing? :confused:
and why isnt it the same colour as the rest of the car?? :confused: :confused:

al aero
01-05-08, 07:47 AM
hey does anyone know what that metal plate is for which is attatched to the firewall?
heatshield? crash safety thing? :confused:
and why isnt it the same colour as the rest of the car?? :confused: :confused:

If its what i think it is; i think its for the setup of left hand drive cars

a.

ludichris001
01-05-08, 08:21 AM
i found this pic of my old 900 and highlighted the plate to give you an example:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/ludichris001/plate_thing.jpg
hope this helps

ejenner
01-05-08, 10:03 AM
I think it's sound damping.

That connector is for the sunroof switch... or at least it looks pretty similar!

Alex
01-05-08, 04:52 PM
There's more power to be had than "just" from the turbo. but Yes, I run a 9000 FMIC, turbo spike's 28#'s of boost & hold's 25#'s. the over boost under the dash has been removed. & the stage 2 chip in the ECU removes the 6200rpm limiter.

This old 85 Saab 900 has surprised quite a few Evo's & STI's. . . . of course once we were rolling. not from a dead stop. & even then they pull away at the top end.

...........Dave

The turbo has a maximum amount of air that it can flow, which provides an upper limit to the amount of power that can be produced. Yes, better intercooling can help to an extent but cannot do anything about the restriction caused by the turbine and its housing. The TD04 on a 9000 cannot flow enough for 350bhp and thats got both a larger compressor and turbine than the T3.

Matthew
01-05-08, 06:41 PM
Sound insulation.

Look in my project thread (link in sig) to see it removed from my car.

Neil_G
01-05-08, 10:32 PM
Hi ludichris001

I noticed that your 8V was running a later fuel injection setup and not the old k-jet that came with the 8v's.

Would it be possible to get some more information regarding your setup please.

(sorry if you have been asked this question before!!)

regards
Neil

Saab-Daniel
02-05-08, 04:25 AM
It's 16v injection build on an 8v...
There's a few thread on here about it, my project-thread, for one, and "Si"'s thread about modding an 8v fuel-rail.
Daniel.

ludichris001
12-06-08, 06:57 AM
hey how are we all? ive been quite busy since i was last online.. the grey 900 is on the backbench so to speak, im waiting on a new floor..

in the meantime i got rid of my mazda and got this: http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/ludichris001/Image067.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk63/ludichris001/Image069.jpg

now.. this one has been my sub-project lately. its an '89 model no rust in the body whatsoever, only starting to form rust in the sunroof. even the boot is rust free! :o it was N/A 16v.. i blew it up driving it home lol (was about to let go anyway, spun a bearing i think) so it has the 8v in it from the grey one, and all the running gear from it too, FMIC, etc.. the side skirts were going to go on the grey 900 but i decided to put them on this one (i like the grey on white look) its got the odd dent and scratch but its really nice inside and out. and its an absolute dream to drive.

now on the topic of the grey 900, i have yet another 900 SPG coming in a week or so, its a write off (hit a tree) but its got a good b212 and a rust free floor. i bought this along with the white one for $1400 the b212 head is going on the 8v bottom end (after rebuild) and the b212 bottom end is getting the b202 head from the blown engine and is going in the grey one (after rebuild)

okay so to make it simple, the grey one is still being restored but its going to be a worked N/A
once thats done the white one is coming off the road and is getting restored. and its going to be the worked turbo one
this may take a while lol

ludichris001
16-06-08, 06:09 AM
well...
after spending the week thinking about it and working some things out i have decided to can the grey 900 :cry: . simply because there is too much rust through the whole car and i suspect the chassis may be twisted slightly. there is signs that it had been in quite a bad crash before i got it. and also i had a good look at it and the two middle rails that run down the front of the car arent paralell and the left rail is noticeably higher than the right. this really sucks cos i have spent countless hours working on it since i bought it, and it was just a really nice, fun car to drive, and i loved the colour of it..
so i guess it will be going to the scrap yard in a few weeks, maybe i could get them to crush it into a cube and turn it into a coffee table...

oh well i better start hunting for another 900

sad.. very sad.. :cry: :cry:

ludichris001
22-06-08, 08:06 AM
got my spg parts car towed to my place today :D the the fun begin!!