SaabCentral Forums banner

Upgrading turbo...T28???????

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Icarus 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, guys. Well, after a few months of losing the Internet, I'm glad to be online again! :D Anyways, a few days ago I started up my Saab after letting it sit on the driveway for 2 months (loooooooong story that involved me moving from WI to CA) I noticed blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. Since my Saab is an LPT and I've got 91,000 miles on the original GT17, I'm assuming that the blue smoke is a result of the turbo going south.

Well, a few months ago a friend of mine gave me a turbo that he pulled out of his '95 Eclipse GSX and I assumed at the time that the turbo was a TD04. Now that I look at it, though, I'm thinking it's a T28...:confused: On the intake side of the turbo-in-question, this is what it shows:

A/R
M10

On the exhaust side, it shows:

N5S
52G
H4

On the side of the compressor housing, it shows "TR0759" and it says "GARRETT" elsewhere. Also, the outlet on the compressor side is bent at a 90 degree angle away from the exhaust side.

So now I'm more confused and frustrated than ever. :evil: I don't think that the GT17 has that bend...:confused: My question (and I've searched frantically, but to no HELPFUL avail) is that will this turbo work on my LPT??? By the way, I know 0.00129% about turbos, so the faintest, most vague answer will help me out a great deal! (i.e. YES or NO). :D:D:D Oh, and a cold beer for the first person to help me out here, since I need the car for daily driving...and it's driving me AWOL!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
Kermit said:
Does it still smoke? Mine will smoke on start-up slightly if i leave it for 2 weeks, but only the 1st time i restart after a long period of no use. Daily use means no smoking for me.
Yeah I get the same blue smoke every now and then at startup but my GT-17 is going after 180K, 156K being long long distance driving. But you could try selling that turbo and go online and get a td04 I saw one on ebay for $250 check it out ill shoot you the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAAB...001QQitemZ110244315059QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

#5 ·
Kermit said:
Does it still smoke? Mine will smoke on start-up slightly if i leave it for 2 weeks, but only the 1st time i restart after a long period of no use. Daily use means no smoking for me.
Yes it still smokes. I forgot to mention that it smoked a little while I was still in WI. Now it smokes A LOT on startup every time I turn on the engine. :cry: And to think she was always babied...

Well, aeropilot, looks like the cold beer goes to you. So what brand do you prefer??? ;) Aaaaanyways...thanks for all your input, guys. I just have one last question. Does $250 sound like a good price for the T28? Too high? Too low? I know I got it free, but hey, I need the money right now. :cheesy: The whole unit consists of the turbine and compressor, with no shaft play...albeit the whole thing is a bit dirty.

#6 ·
saab_lpt said:
Hi, guys. Well, after a few months of losing the Internet, I'm glad to be online again! :D Anyways, a few days ago I started up my Saab after letting it sit on the driveway for 2 months (loooooooong story that involved me moving from WI to CA) I noticed blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. Since my Saab is an LPT and I've got 91,000 miles on the original GT17, I'm assuming that the blue smoke is a result of the turbo going south.

Well, a few months ago a friend of mine gave me a turbo that he pulled out of his '95 Eclipse GSX and I assumed at the time that the turbo was a TD04. Now that I look at it, though, I'm thinking it's a T28...:confused: On the intake side of the turbo-in-question, this is what it shows:

A/R
M10

On the exhaust side, it shows:

N5S
52G
H4

On the side of the compressor housing, it shows "TR0759" and it says "GARRETT" elsewhere. Also, the outlet on the compressor side is bent at a 90 degree angle away from the exhaust side.

So now I'm more confused and frustrated than ever. :evil: I don't think that the GT17 has that bend...:confused: My question (and I've searched frantically, but to no HELPFUL avail) is that will this turbo work on my LPT??? By the way, I know 0.00129% about turbos, so the faintest, most vague answer will help me out a great deal! (i.e. YES or NO). :D:D:D Oh, and a cold beer for the first person to help me out here, since I need the car for daily driving...and it's driving me AWOL!!!
TR0759 is a DSM T25.

Not exactly a wonderful bit of kit......... oh and no it won't fit.

Cheers
Icy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.