Lights Were On ? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Lights Were On ?

lar95
18-04-08, 09:49 AM
can anyone tell me what happened with my 9-5. i had the headlight switch in the center poisiton and came home turned of car went inside. when it was dark i noticed that my headlights were on? i went outside started car moved switch to right position and turned car off, and the lights were off and did not come back on. im not sure what the light switch position are for. i am getting a maunal (waiting for it). also not sure why they should ever come one with key off and car not running. any help? thanks all

MacNoob
18-04-08, 09:52 AM
The center position is parking lights; that's so you can leave the car parked on a dark narrow European street and have a minimal lighting level so people can see the car where it's parked and not run into it!

Lights will go off with the ignition if switch is in the "off" or "on" position but not the center position.

lar95
18-04-08, 09:56 AM
ok so if the switch is in the center they will stay lit at night. then where should you put the switch.
thanks for you quick reply lar

Chris 9-5
18-04-08, 10:03 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/cbullock/9fd1f842.jpg
This is OFF ;)

lar95
18-04-08, 10:04 AM
thanks alot .

Balzary
18-04-08, 10:16 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/cbullock/9fd1f842.jpg
This is OFF ;)

What is that dial with the 1 2 3 on it?

Chris 9-5
18-04-08, 10:17 AM
What is that dial with the 1 2 3 on it?

Headlight level - its a European thing I believe

Balzary
18-04-08, 10:20 AM
Cool, do you use it much?

scully9-5
18-04-08, 10:20 AM
Headlight level - its a European thing I believe

Must be. I dont have one of those either.

Chris 9-5
18-04-08, 10:21 AM
Cool, do you use it much?

Nope never :p

Balzary
18-04-08, 10:22 AM
Lol, well I guess it's good to have if you ever need to protect the eyes on the oncoming deer :p

lar95
18-04-08, 10:22 AM
so what is the position all the way to the right used for. or should you just leave it to the left

Chris 9-5
18-04-08, 10:25 AM
In the UK:

Full left = off
Straight up = side lights / parking lights
Full right = Headlights

MacNoob
18-04-08, 10:39 AM
If your lights are ON in the switch off position, that means you have daytime running lights, so the headlights are ON no matter what switch position you use.

Switch OFF: all lights on, they go off when you turn the ignition off, high beam not available, fogs not available.
Switch MID (parking): all lights on, they stay on when you turn the ignition off, high beam not available, fogs not available.
Switch ON (headlight): all lights on, they go off when you turn the ignition off, high beam available, fogs available.

It's a pretty lame arrangement really. Saab was too cheap to put in a 'real' DRL scheme with reduced-brightness lamps so they used a fuse (#35 I think?) to bypass the switch so the lights are on all the time.

lar95
18-04-08, 11:57 AM
thanks guys. very helpfull. now just waiting for my manual to get here. so i can read it. :)

Raven18940
18-04-08, 11:59 AM
ok so if the switch is in the center they will stay lit at night. then where should you put the switch.
thanks for you quick reply lar
OFF, or fully ON (the lights switch off automatically when you turn the car off.)

PARK (center) leaves all the lights on except the headlights, but has little 5watt bulbs on in their stead to illuminate the head light housing. This is for when your car is disabled on the side of the road late at night and you'd prefer people didn't hit you, but also don't wanna kill your battery.

Al's Red Wagon
19-04-08, 06:01 AM
Don't forget that none of these positions mean anything if you still have fuse 35 in the fuse box...

In the US, you need to pull 35 in order to gain functionality from your light switch. Fuse 35 basically sets you at position 2, or on, unless the vehicle is not running, in which case position one (parking) works....

Chris 9-5
19-04-08, 11:11 AM
Don't forget that none of these positions mean anything if you still have fuse 35 in the fuse box.......

Indeed and if you take the whole switch out, turn it upside down and replace, it gets really confusing :o