SaabCentral Forums banner

Need help on exhaust decision

764 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  numbersix 
#1 ·
My '99 (2.3 SE automatic, BSR Stage 2) needs an intermediate pipe and cat back exhaust system. I had the car put up on a hoist. The stock downpipe otherwise appears to be ok.

The car has 145K miles on it. The issues I'd like some input on are:

Given that the intermediate flex pipe has gone bad, should I be expecting the forward flex pipe section of the downpipe to fail sometime in the near future? I've already decided to replace the rest of the system, just haven't accepted that I should spend the extra money to replace the downpipe assembly.

If I do replace the downpipe (it would be 3"), would it make sense to go with a 3" cat back as well? I wonder whether the gasses cool sufficiently after the converter so that the extra pipe diameter wouldn't make any difference in performance or fuel economy?

If I don't replace the downpipe, is it possible to fit a 3" cat back and intermediate pipe to the stock downpipe?

I've looked at CTI and Simmons -is there an appreciable difference between the two systems. Will they enjoy the same longevity as the stock system has?

I'd like to put an order in tomorrow. So your timely input is appreciated.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
i thought stage 2 required catback. :confused:

if the stock catback is tired then it's likely the stock cat/dp is on it's way out at some point too. that said, if you can spare the $$$ now i'd suggest doing the whole turbo back while you're at it. if too much of a stretch then replace the damaged part. either one of the exhaust systems you mentioned are good units and should outlast a stock replacement part.

from what i've seen the dp is the biggest plug on the exhaust side. after that either the catback system is pretty much a wash as they both flow sufficiently. the biggest deciding factor with catback is sound. my simons exhaust is only slightly louder than stock but with a much deeper tone. people who have the cti seem to like the fact that it's noticeably louder.

upgrading the exhaust system theoretically improves efficiency which should result in better gas mileage...if driven the same. ;)

the other good thing about doing the whole exhaust is that you're a step closer to stage 3. :cool:

#3 · (Edited)
Looking at downpipes...

The CTI uses a pretty standard cat whereas the Genuine Saab dp sold with the Simons cat-back uses a "sport" style converter. Would the sport style cat be less apt to fry if or when my turbo blows?

I also notice from the pictures that the CTI appears to be a true 3" dp all the way back. The Genuine Saab dp appears necked down to 2.5" at the cat. Am I understanding that right? If so, wouldn't that choke some performance out of the system a bit?

By the way, BSR Stage 2 is a bit ambiguous for my car. It consists of the ECU (or PPC now) and cat back exhaust. However there is no performance gain between the Stage 1 (w/out cb) and Stage 2 (with). It's only at Stage 3 with the addition of a 3" dp and air pipe that they claim improvement in hp and torque.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.