SaabCentral Forums banner

Install Banks RamAir Intake?

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Garrett 
G
#1 ·
I'm wondering if i could fit one of these things in my 9-5. The airbox style one shown here looks awesome. I think the duct with vent will help prevent hydrolocking too.

See less See more
#4 ·
"Gain up to 39hp/69 ft/lbs torque at the rear wheels"

Gotta try that :p

G
#5 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
"Gain up to 39hp/69 ft/lbs torque at the rear wheels"

Gotta try that :p
Probably on a 3500 HD Turbo diesel or the like. The banks computers for diesels are pretty awesome. I think these numbers reflect the performance effect with a non-stock tune.

#8 ·
These are custom molded ram air intakes for pickup trucks. Why would you spend money paying for a custom fit setup, only to chop it apart to fit it to your Saab? A turbocharger will suck as much air as it needs. Any gains from a "ram air" setup will be slim to none, considering the turbo sucks in MUCH more air than you can push in through ambient air anyways.

If you want performance, get the big snorkel ($12 from your dealer). If you want performance and sound, get an open intake ($80 from GS).

#9 ·
Agreed. Or do what everyone else does and just replace the airbox with a filter. I haven't run a splash guard of any type on my open intake for the 3 or so years I've had my car now and I have had no problems.

#10 ·
Will my V6 benefit from big snorkel or open intake?

stipud said:
These are custom molded ram air intakes for pickup trucks. Why would you spend money paying for a custom fit setup, only to chop it apart to fit it to your Saab? A turbocharger will suck as much air as it needs. Any gains from a "ram air" setup will be slim to none, considering the turbo sucks in MUCH more air than you can push in through ambient air anyways.

If you want performance, get the big snorkel ($12 from your dealer). If you want performance and sound, get an open intake ($80 from GS).

#11 ·
masteryong said:
Will my V6 benefit from big snorkel or open intake?
There won't be a performance gain from any of the engines (unless you have a tune the requires it), but the sound you get from installing it is AWESOME! :cheesy:

#12 ·
SectorNine50 said:
There won't be a performance gain from any of the engines (unless you have a tune the requires it), but the sound you get from installing it is AWESOME! :cheesy:
Actually, I did notice an improvement in top end when using either the snorkel or open airfilter on my stock tune... it just wasn't AS noticeable as stage 3 ;)

The snorkel is so cheap from the dealership, I recommend it as an upgrade for every pre-04 model car, assuming you don't already have an open intake. If that $12 part even gets you 5hp, it will be one of the most cost effective upgrades that you can do.

#13 ·
stipud said:
Actually, I did notice an improvement in top end when using either the snorkel or open airfilter on my stock tune... it just wasn't AS noticeable as stage 3 ;)

The snorkel is so cheap from the dealership, I recommend it as an upgrade for every pre-04 model car, assuming you don't already have an open intake. If that $12 part even gets you 5hp, it will be one of the most cost effective upgrades that you can do.
Oh yeah, I remember that conversation actually. Did you ever get the chance to dyno with the filter on and off?

#14 ·
stipud said:
Actually, I did notice an improvement in top end when using either the snorkel or open airfilter on my stock tune
May I ask how is that measured? I'm just wondering what exactly improved :confused:

#15 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
May I ask how is that measured? I'm just wondering what exactly improved :confused:
Butt dyno. Car feels noticeably faster.

I notice zero difference in performance between the big snorkel and open airfilter, but the OLD snorkel was definitely a weak point, especially when running on a higher tune.

Seriously, for $15 and 30 minutes of your time, what have you got to lose? :confused:

#16 ·
You said it improves top end?

So you get a higher top speed?

Sorry I'm just confused on this ;oops:

#17 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
You said it improves top end?

So you get a higher top speed?

Sorry I'm just confused on this ;oops:
Ah okay... What I meant is top end of the RPM range. It doesn't affect your top speed at all.

I made three test runs with a copilot filming my boost gauge and tachometer. One run with each intake setup... small snorkel, big snorkel and open intake. With the small snorkel, the turbo would run out of puff around 4500rpm. With the bigger one, or the open intake, I get more solid boost beyond 4500 right up to redline. Neither of us noticed any differences in performance between the big snorkel and open filter, and the boost gauge reacted the same on those runs.

However, I did notice quicker response coming off the gas with the open filter. If you would aggressively lift off the gas pedal, the big snorkel setup would smooth it out more than the open setup did. The open intake also SOUNDS faster, which is the main reason I run that outside of the rainy seasons.

Hope that explains things a bit better.

#18 ·
So over a set distance your terminal speed was higher (i.e the time taken to cover the distance was less)? :confused:

:eek: 16,000 POSTS :eek:

G
#20 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
So over a set distance your terminal speed was higher (i.e the time taken to cover the distance was less)? :confused:

Nope...guess again- he said nothing about terminal speed just top end of the rpm range

:eek: 16,000 POSTS :eek:
Congrats Chris...I can see from above how you got there so fast :p

This thread brings up one of the most talked about basic mods. Back on topic...you will not be able to ram air into a turbocharged car as has already been said in this thread. As for any oem intake, it is designed for quick spool and generally quiet operation. If you want more top end you get a bigger, open ended element and if you want to get it really right...get that element mounted down in the fender away from the heat of the engine. This will help when the air temps climb and the heat of the engine consumes and stagnates under the hood. Hit the throttle from a dead stop and more heat will be sucked into the open element. Yes so will more air...sooo...we are all right back to where we started. Since most do not do a full 'dyno' test on 'all' the variances, it comes down to the butt and cool factor...and that is oh so personal to each person:cheesy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.