SaabCentral Forums banner

Hirsch 305hp turbo - what is it?

4K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  rolly 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Trying to work out what the turbo is in my 305hp Hirsch 9-5

Sadly there just isn't enough room for me to take a photo but I have tried to get the numbers off it.

7061 35 - 0007P
TB 2811
EI 153239 - 07

These are hand engraved numbers so hopefully they are all correct

So anyone know what turbo they use or what this is?

Cheers

Simon

#2 ·
As much as I remember-Garett gt28.

#4 ·
That would be the TB 2811 part then.;)

Thanks guys - that looks like the one.

Initial searching hasn't come too much about this model of turbo - I'm looking for a compressor map if anyone can help. Not that I'm unhappy with the power, just want to see what are it's limits, should I decide to go further

Cheers

#5 ·
rolly said:
That would be the TB 2811 part then.;)

Thanks guys - that looks like the one.

Initial searching hasn't come too much about this model of turbo - I'm looking for a compressor map if anyone can help. Not that I'm unhappy with the power, just want to see what are it's limits, should I decide to go further
Wouldn't think you'll be able to go further on that turbo anyway.

The TB is a non-roller bearing turbo IIRC, with most of the aftermarket tuners going for the GT28 and GT30 units for levels much beyond 300-310. Not to mention you'll need forged pistons for any increase much above what you have now.

To go further you'll have to abandon the Hirsch software, as well as the turbo, and go with one of the aftermarket tuners such as Nordic or Maptun and get one of their staged tunes or a custom software tune, which won't be easy given your location.....:eek:

#9 ·
Some would say its good for 350bhp. In an OEM application the limit is around 310bhp whilst maintaining good 'headroom' for high altitude use (where the turbo has to work much harder to supply the same airmass).

Nice little turbo that is and pretty bulletproof. Similar units are used on various Nissans and the Fiat 20V Coupe. Don't be put off by the fact its not a ball bearing turbo. To be honest they are very rarely fitted as OEM due to their cost, are less tolerant to debris in the oil and journal bearing turbos have the rather nice effect of 'softening' the initial spool up which avoids transient overboost conditions on kit running closed loop boost control.

If you are really interested I will dig out a compressor and turbine map for it when I have chance and give you accurate figures on flow, max shaft RPM etc.

Cheers
Icy

#10 ·
Icarus said:
Some would say its good for 350bhp. In an OEM application the limit is around 310bhp whilst maintaining good 'headroom' for high altitude use (where the turbo has to work much harder to supply the same airmass).

Nice little turbo that is and pretty bulletproof. Similar units are used on various Nissans and the Fiat 20V Coupe. Don't be put off by the fact its not a ball bearing turbo. To be honest they are very rarely fitted as OEM due to their cost, are less tolerant to debris in the oil and journal bearing turbos have the rather nice effect of 'softening' the initial spool up which avoids transient overboost conditions on kit running closed loop boost control.

If you are really interested I will dig out a compressor and turbine map for it when I have chance and give you accurate figures on flow, max shaft RPM etc.

Cheers
Icy
Sweet thanks! No real altitude issues over here! as for BB turbo can't say it bothers me that much - the Volvo was non BB and they are rock solid - i think it helps having oil and water cooling.

#15 ·
L4staero said:
I am quite sure I have driven your car :cheesy: , when it was in Australia. Its very nice.
It has the 18" six spokes from memory not the 19" trispokes?
"Had" the 18" six spokes - they are all broken ATM(NZ roads suck) so it's got horrible TSW wheels on it.

Yeah it had almost 5k on the clock when it arrived in NZ so "someone" put some kays on it :D .

Once the bathroom is finished and I've got the cash - it's either getting some new Hirsch wheels, OZ ultralegerra's or Compomotive MO6's - Well that's the current train of thought.

#16 ·
rolly said:
Once the bathroom is finished and I've got the cash - it's either getting some new Hirsch wheels, OZ ultralegerra's or Compomotive MO6's - Well that's the current train of thought.
OZ Ultraleggera....? Don't you mean Superleggera...?

BBS CH look good on 9-5's as well.

Compomotive M06's are very similar to the Hirsch, but are they as light...?

I'd go for another set of Hirsch 6-spokes, or if your NZ roads are that bad to wreck a set of Hirsch rims, I'd invest in a set of Speedline 2013sc one piece cast magnessium tarmac rally wheels.....:cheesy:

#17 · (Edited)
aeropilot said:
OZ Ultraleggera....? Don't you mean Superleggera...?

BBS CH look good on 9-5's as well.

Compomotive M06's are very similar to the Hirsch, but are they as light...?

I'd go for another set of Hirsch 6-spokes, or if your NZ roads are that bad to wreck a set of Hirsch rims, I'd invest in a set of Speedline 2013sc one piece cast magnessium tarmac rally wheels.....:cheesy:

Yes sorry Ultraleggera.

The Comps are heavier but stronger as they are also rally wheels.

First choice would be the speedlines but IIRC they are no longer made :cry:

Don't get me wrong, I love the origonal rims but if all 4 are cracked and bent after 5 years...... Could have been one big hit - I don't now as I have only just got this car.

#18 ·
rolly said:
Don't get me wrong, I love the origonal rims but if all 4 are cracked and bent after 5 years...... Could have been one big hit - I don't now as I have only just got this car.
Were your Hirsch wheels the 'older' design with the Hirsch logo embossed into one of the spokes, or were they they the newer ones without the embossed logo on the spoke..?

Only, I've seen a number of reports of cracks to the rims with these earlier Hirsch rims such as after hitting potholes etc.

I've yet to see any reports of cracks in the newer 'logo-less' Hirsch rims.

Our UK roads are pretty grim with potholes and unrepaired damage, and my Hirsch rims are fine and free of cracks after 4 years use. The same can't be said of the rim edges, but that's my own fault.......;oops:

#19 ·
Nah they are the newer ones.

The only thing going against them is the price

ie ultralegerra's are 2/3 at most the price of the Hirsch wheels - and that's me importing them myself from the U.K.

For the same money I can start looking at some high end wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.