SaabCentral Forums banner

Open filter question

821 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  S2kHEAVEN 
#1 ·
I just ordered an open filter, but I must say that I am concerned about running this in the rain. Has anyone come up with any unique ideas as to some sort of splash guard? Will you still get the same sound and performance from the filter if you install something directly under it to prevent the rain from soaking in the filter. I must say that ultimately even if it does cut down on the sound, much preferred rather than hydrolocking the engine. I would think that someone would sell something by now for this very issue. I currently have the drop-in filter, but can barely hear the turbo. Need to hear the spool :lol: Thanks in advance for any advice you might have......

#3 ·
#4 ·
I ordered one of these Drychargers for my filter, but it hasn't arrived yet, so I can't tell you how well it does the job. It's a silicone treated cover for watercraft and offroad vehicles that is made to repel water. I can't wait to see how well it works on the 9-5:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RB-0900DK

Mine is open with no splash protection at the moment. I just try to miss the big puddles when I drive in the rain. The filter gets a little wet, but so far no hydro-locked engine. :D

My filter after a really bad storm that flooded the streets.

#5 ·
Thank you for the advice. I am still new to the site, so I am learning as I go. When I did the search, I found that a bunch of people are using the outerwear prefilters, which looked like a great idea until I realized that they recommend that you change the prefilter every 6-12 months. Depending on driving conditions. Don't know if this is a marketing ploy, or if this is in fact the truth. They also said that you can't use any old water repelant on the outerwear, only their product, because theirs doesn't reduce performance. So I think I will use a custom made splashguard and call it a day. Now instead of swerving away from potholes and such, I will be swerving away from puddles as well. Seems like a small price to pay, for the swoooooooosh sound that everyone is saying is absolutely insane. For me, the louder, the better. :lol: Thanks again guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.