SaabCentral Forums banner

9-5 Tune up

6K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  magp1e 
#1 ·
Hello all

I did have this little lot in another thread but I think it is better served here. I have just bought an 02 Paddle shift Aero estate, and want to give it some OOmph :D From the tuning guide in the forum it reads thus:

"The above stages are applicable to all the inline 4 cylinder engines, but please note you will get better results horsepower wise from the lower tuned lpt models. The Aero (HOT) models are pretty much tuned to the max and respond better to the early stage 1&2 tunes, after that they will need additional cooling or you will lose any extra performance to heatsoak very quickly" (Quote)

Okay then, How about a Stage 1 From Elkparts With Air Filter, and the Intercooler/Air Intake and Delivery Pipe from Ebay.......Item number 170208687462 Take a look its cheap!!!!!!!!

Stage 1 gives 24Hp, with 84Nm Torque. That should take the car from 350Nm to 434Nm am I right??? With the Extra breathing I won't necessarily need to rev the nuts off the car, Spool up of the Turbo should be very quick :roll: I think. I want to keep the tune within the limits of the gearbox (5 Speed Paddle shift AUTO). Don't want 350Hp because it will just eat tyres and trash the 'box. Thats around £1000, then I'll be getting those nice new FSD Konis for the car.

My 9000 has lasted me 10 years, with lots of TLC.

What do you think? All ideas welcomed!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
No, no........:nono;

Stage 1 ECU won't work well with the extra hardware your fitting....:roll:

If you fit a intercooler, intake pipe etc you will need the ECU tuned for those mods, T7 isn't as adaptive as T5 was on your 9k Aero....you have to think differently to what you had with the 9k.

And 02 cars don't have paddle shift, you must have a 03 car for it to be paddle shift.

And 350hp would be OK with the auto, it's the torque that kills the auto not the horse power.

#3 ·
02 car paddle???

Many thanks for that observation. It would appear then, that a Nordic Stage 3 is, in a nutshell, probably what I want. 420NM and 300Hp, perfect, inside the limits of the box and with the same Hp as the 9000. I think that is the way to go. I would like to keep the fuel consumption the same though, will it affect that at all?

The car I have is an 02 car and with the RAC Data check proves it is all fine. I will though give SAAB a call to make sure that the car is genuine. If the Paddle shift didn't come out until 03.......alarm bells start to ring a little.:eek:

#4 ·
My NG is 1997 with some 1998 parts on it! The chassis number is 1998 and yet it has the cable clutch from 1997.

So your box and plate conundrum is likely nothing to worry about..

#5 ·
T7 isn't as adaptive as T5 was on your 9k Aero
No,all trionic systems are pretty adaptive and it will work well with additional mods,but without custom tune you will miss some benefits.
No ECU can neglect better cooler and you'll feel it if you go for upgrade.
I'm with Nordic St 3 soft and a lots of hardware overmods,and with bigger cooler and piping the car runs much better and faster-we check it.
So don't worry and go for toys.;)

#6 ·
Ha Ha!!! Sorted!

Thanks for the heads up on vehicle year!! The car was manufactured 2002, and this shows up on the rAC data check. However, it was registered September 2003, and according to the VIN number this means that it is a 2003 model year. Pheewwwwww!! Stress off. Good I have an 03 plate care for 2000 money. :cool:

Right back to the tuning!!!!

Thanks for the pointers!!

#7 ·
DoctorPhill said:
No,all trionic systems are pretty adaptive and it will work well with additional mods,but without custom tune you will miss some benefits.
No ECU can neglect better cooler and you'll feel it if you go for upgrade.
I'm with Nordic St 3 soft and a lots of hardware overmods,and with bigger cooler and piping the car runs much better and faster-we check it.
So don't worry and go for toys.;)
Yes, agree, but youre running the Stage 3 Nordic which is written for use with the important down pipe, so can cope with the intake mods etc., Stage 1 & 2 software is different to Stage 3 as they don't include the downpipe, which is why you don't won't to add all that stuff to a Stage 1 ECU as he was intending.

Stage 3 will cope with the extra stuff better than Stage 1 ECU.

Better still custom Stage 3+ from Nordic...which is what I'm going to do.

#8 ·
magp1e said:
However, it was registered September 2003, and according to the VIN number this means that it is a 2003 model year. Pheewwwwww!!
Model years run from Aug to Aug when the production lines are turned over to the next years model in the quieter holiday period.

My 04 Aero was registered on 1st Sept 03.

#9 ·
Stage 3+

aeropilot said:
Stage 3 will cope with the extra stuff better than Stage 1 ECU.

Better still custom Stage 3+ from Nordic...which is what I'm going to do.
Well now this is starting to sound interesting!!! Many Thanks AEROPILOT, I am looking forward to hearing how you get on with a Stage3+!!

Suspension next then! ;)

#10 ·
magp1e said:
I am looking forward to hearing how you get on with a Stage3+!!
It'll be a while yet.........can't afford to do it all at once, which is what you should do.

So, mods first will be those that have least effect on ECU, so I'm going to go with cat back exhaust and bigger intercooler first.

Then, later-on, I'll get the down pipe and cat plus an 06-on cobra pipe with modded compressor housing and a custom version of Stage 3 to suit those hardware mods.

That's the plan.......but, plans can change:p

#12 ·
What about an ABBOTT ECU?

Hello again chaps. What about an Abbott Racing ECU, Full Exhaust (incl Downpipe), and Air Filter? That little lot comes in at under £1000!! And its a Stainless Steel Exhaust as well.

Abbott are looking cheap here. An Intercooler off the ebay and there we go!!!

Thoughts chaps??;)

#14 ·
Well the truth is the, car itself, 9-5 03 paddle shift estate, is lovely and quiet which I like very much. Responsiveness and torque......o/taking ability are what I want. I will be doing the dampers and springs a little later. I am sure that the car won't thrust me forward like my 9000 AERO used to, but I would like to have the power to O/take on my way to work. There is that full kit on ebay for £469, which I looked at, but Abbott said that the exhaust is what was most important. There tuning guide says about 280hp with the filter/exhaust/ecu mods. Their ecu is only £299 with the exhaust you see. I guess I am just trying to save some pennies for the suspension mods......and it needs new tyres as well....

#15 ·
magp1e said:
There tuning guide says about 280hp with the filter/exhaust/ecu mods. Their ecu is only £299 with the exhaust you see. I guess I am just trying to save some pennies for the suspension mods......and it needs new tyres as well....
Nope, Abbott's tuning guide is 280hp for ECU, full 3" exhaust + DP, air filter, big intake pipe and intercooler.

Don't get all fixated by doing the engine, wait until you can afford to do it properly.

Spend the good money now on the suspension, rather than spreading the money around and having to compromise on both engine and suspension mods, as the Aero needs the suspension mods MORE than engine mods.

I found that the better Hirsch suspension, 18" wheels + tyres and big brakes means you can actually make use of the standard 250hp much better and the car 'feels' quicker than before even though it isn't....;)

And in 'S' sport mode or M+ mode I've not ever found the car exactly wanting when it comes to overtaking, compared to my old manual 9k Aero.

Invest good money in the chassis now, then move on to the engine later when you can afford to do it properly.

#16 ·
Quiet exhaust and Suspension

Okay then, When it comes to handling, I think my Aero estate is a long way ahead of my 9000 manual. I am going to opt for the new Koni Fsd's and the Abbott Springs. That way, I will get to keep the comfort, but tighten up the handling a little:) .

I will go for a larger intercooler and the Abbott ECU + Full exhaust + Filter. I have noticed, that the engine bay is a lot hotter than my previous 9000, so a little extra cooling shouldn't go amiss. I think any more tune and the car will only drink more fuel, and this is my daily driver/family car.

So, a little extra performance, sharper handling, and retain the comfort. Perfect. Exhaust, though, is the Abbott really a lot louder? It is nice to listen to my music without having to really turn it up!!! I don't want much more than what the standard AERO is giving me to be truthful.

How about that lot then??;)

#17 · (Edited)
magp1e said:
Okay then, When it comes to handling, I think my Aero estate is a long way ahead of my 9000 manual. I am going to opt for the new Koni Fsd's and the Abbott Springs. That way, I will get to keep the comfort, but tighten up the handling a little:) .
You hope.....:lol:

Well, Koni FSD's and Abbott springs (which haven't been designed to go with the FSD's;) ) will be only a little bit less or about the same as the proper Hirsch kit (and you can get deals on the Hirsch stuff if you ring around) and I know which direction my money would be going given that choice..........:p

magp1e said:
Exhaust, though, is the Abbott really a lot louder? It is nice to listen to my music without having to really turn it up!!! I don't want much more than what the standard AERO is giving me to be truthful.
ALL of the performance 3" exhausts will be more than the standard Aero I'm afraid, and the Abbott is a bit louder than the others from what I've heard of them fitted to cars. It's not horrendous, and they quieten a bit once sooted up, but it IS louder than standard by a good bit.

#19 ·
magp1e said:
Where would you ring if you were going to get a Hirsh setup? Abbotts are doing the FSD's with Springs fitted for £680. That sounds okay! Still if you can point me in the right direction...............
If that's £680 fitted including VAT, then that's way cheaper than you'll get the Hirsch for.

My Hirsch suspension cost 1k fitted all in from my dealer, and I have seen a guy recently that was quoted 900 all in fitted, but that's very cheap for Hirsch.

Still if money is priority then go with the Abbott.

You are likely to be the first 9-5 owner I've seen on a Saab forum to go for this FSD + Abbott spring setup, so it'll be interesting to see you report back on the results...:D

#20 ·
Having spent out four times on different suspension set ups, I'd only buy the hirsch kit.

#21 ·
Diesel Snorkel?

Hello again chaps

Well I have been reading a little about Diesel snorkels and the increased airflow into the box. I was thinking, that instead of fitting an induction kit (too messy to fabricate a splashguard), I could fit a diesel Snorkel (I think) and then get the benfits of a larger airbox and increased airflow (is that corrrect)????

Has anybody done this at all, and is it worthwhile?

I am also ordering the Koni FSD's with H&R springs, and going for a BSR Stage 3, with JT Full 3" exhasust and possibly Diesel snorkel?????

Many thanks gentlemen and as ever, comments appreciated.

Really looking forward to having a new car!!!!

:p

#22 ·
I think Stipud is a firm advocate of the diesel snorkel, certainly its an easier job, I like the sound of the open element personally. Cant believe there are much performance differences myself......

I was very dissapointed in the life span of my JT exhaust and when I had to buy yet another exhaust cos it rusted through I went full stainless with Abbott - no need to buy another ever again.

I'm curious about the suspension set up you have chosen as no one else has done it with those components - I hope it works out for you...........I've been through a few unsatisfactory set ups myself including very poorly fitting H&R springs :roll:

You would benefit from some decent brake pads and an intercooler when it warms up too ;)

#24 ·
i switched from the open intake to the upgraded snorkel a while back. here's my thread on it. it's a very good alternative.

i also have the bsr stage 3 on my aero. while they're one of the few tuners (maybe the only..) that doesn't require an upgraded intercooler with their stage 3 i would highly recommend one when/if it fits your budget. i have the ets drop in and although the outside temps here are still mild, the ic seems to have made a pretty noticeable difference. maybe due to the improved airflow over stock ic :confused: . hopefully i'll find a place that can dyno the car at somepoint, but i've heard our fwd autos don't play well with dynos. :roll:

good luck with the suspension upgrades. this is one area where personal preference and driving style will yield many different suggestions. i'm on my second variation now. lots of input to ponder.

don't forget to make sure your brakes and tires are up to spec! ;)

magp1e said:
Hello again chaps

Well I have been reading a little about Diesel snorkels and the increased airflow into the box. I was thinking, that instead of fitting an induction kit (too messy to fabricate a splashguard), I could fit a diesel Snorkel (I think) and then get the benfits of a larger airbox and increased airflow (is that corrrect)????

Has anybody done this at all, and is it worthwhile?

I am also ordering the Koni FSD's with H&R springs, and going for a BSR Stage 3, with JT Full 3" exhasust and possibly Diesel snorkel?????

Many thanks gentlemen and as ever, comments appreciated.

Really looking forward to having a new car!!!!

:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.