SaabCentral Forums banner

Aero ECU for 04 9-5 Arc...thoughts?

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  fusionrx 
#1 · (Edited)
While looking for another part for my 9-5, I found a couple of 02-03 Aero ECU's for sale.

Given that the 04-05 Arc has essentially the same drivetrain as the Aero, I wonder if an Aero ECU can be installed without any issue?

I figure that, while not the $10 upgrade some have been able to do to their LPT's...for less than $200 + the price to install it, I'd net 30hp. Certainly decent price/performance value.

(This is why I shouldn't be allowed to idly browse eBay. :confused: )

#4 ·
Certainly you can upgrade your 220hp car to 250hp with the factory ecu. if you want I can load a factory -04 Aero file to your box. Contact me by email.

#6 ·
NickTaliaferro said:
Certainly you can upgrade your 220hp car to 250hp with the factory ecu. if you want I can load a factory -04 Aero file to your box. Contact me by email.
Nick, since we're on topic, do you have a quick reference for what Aero ECUs will work in what cars? Something like 99-01 are all interchangeable, 02-05, etc.

So for a guy like me with '01, what Aero boxes will work? Or, can my LPT box be programmed with Aero software????

#7 ·
numbersix said:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110577

The OEM upgrade kit for early LPT's. I believe some were able to purchase these at SOC for $10...in fact, I read that from you!

Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same things.

You do realize that this "upgrade" was only for 170hp engines and only took them to 200hp.

The reason they were so cheap is they must have been excess and with very little to no demand for them.

#9 ·
SaabScott said:
Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same things.

You do realize that this "upgrade" was only for 170hp engines and only took them to 200hp.

The reason they were so cheap is they must have been excess and with very little to no demand for them.
Indeed, Scott...that's why I'm looking at the Aero ECU; it's not nearly as cheap as that, but ~$200 for a used ECU + Tech 2 mating cost (if I go that route) should give me the +30hp Saab denied my car from the factory, yet still be within factory spec for this drivetrain setup (and thus hopefully not compromise long-term reliability).

The only unknown I have (and haven't yet been able to find anyone who can tell me conclusively) is whether the Arc has a more restrictive exhaust system than the Aeros. There is an evident difference in the backbox and tailpipe, but other than that I've not been able to find anything that can tell me clearly if the Aero system is less restrictive. If yes, I'll need to look into upgrading that as well.

#10 ·
Your exhaust will be fine ;)

#11 ·
Chris...you of all people should know that the proper answer here should be, "The 9-5 Arc has an exhaust the size of a drinking straw, unfortunately. You will need to upgrade to the BSR/Simons unit in order to not create massive backpressure from the increased boost." ;)

That's okay. I have other projects on which I can spend that money.

#13 ·
Nick Taliaferro would be the one to ask about this. His site sells both BSR and Nordic ECU remap options for the 2.3L HOT Arc models.

I have the same car as you do, albeit in automatic form. If you are not aware, the 04-05 9-5 Arc models have a drivetrain that is essentially identical to the 9-5 Aero--except for the ECU limiting the output to 220hp vs. 250hp. (This is similar to VW having limited output of the earlier 1.8T engines to 150hp to not 'crowd' the more expensive V6 models, which only produced 190-200hp depending on engine/application.)

My choice at this point is to simply regain the 30hp Saab has denied me from the factory by installing an Aero ECU or having Nick reflash my stock ECU with the Aero map.

#14 ·
What can be ECU upgraded on my 99 LPT?

The question got asked earlier...

I have 99 LPT 2.3 and haven't done any upgrades other than I will be getting a .2.5 or 3" sport exhaust in May. I think that this is the 170HP engine, and if I recall correctly this car has only the single 02 sensor (the $10 SOC special, required the 2000 MY car with 2 02 sensors if I recall). What options do I have?

#15 ·
fusionrx said:
The question got asked earlier...

I have 99 LPT 2.3 and haven't done any upgrades other than I will be getting a .2.5 or 3" sport exhaust in May. I think that this is the 170HP engine, and if I recall correctly this car has only the single 02 sensor (the $10 SOC special, required the 2000 MY car with 2 02 sensors if I recall). What options do I have?
Go Nordic stage 2... you'll be laughin ;)

#16 ·
numbersix said:
My choice at this point is to simply regain the 30hp Saab has denied me from the factory by installing an Aero ECU
Thats twice you've said that - Saab didnt deny you anything, you chose to buy the Arc and not an Aero........

#18 ·
fusionrx said:
I was gonna say I would do it cause I was being a cheap *******, but damn, thats a nice price for the ECU + catback + 3.5 FPR. (If I read that right, $560 for the Simons 2.5" and FPR, and I send in ECU).
ECU is an extra $900 the first time you tune, bringing it up to $1500 or so. Successive tunes are $250.

Regardless, tuning is the best money I have spent on the car.

#20 ·
stipud said:
ECU is an extra $900 the first time you tune, bringing it up to $1500 or so. Successive tunes are $250.

Regardless, tuning is the best money I have spent on the car.
Right now, I need to spend that $900 on 2 exhausts. Yes, the 01 wagon exhaust has now rusted completely through (as well as the one on the 99 sedan) and is just hanging there. If it had been only an extra hundred bucks I would have jumped on it.. But since it is that much more expensive... can't afford to do that right now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.