SaabCentral Forums banner

DIY remapping?

5K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  numbersix 
#1 ·
............. well not quite :p

But, I had a CEL appear yesterday, for no reason at all it would seem!

So this morning I pulled fuse 17, and replaced the plugs, they were about 6 months old, they looked fine really, gap was ok too but I do know that the higher the tune, the more plugs they eat :roll:

Anyways, plugs in, put fuse back in, go for a drive to see if CEL comes back.

Well, the intention was to have a drive, however, something wierd happend.

The bloody thing flies :eek:

I was overtaking cars at 50ft off the ground rather than going around them :cheesy:

This actually makes sense really. My entire driving life is in heavy congestion, my average speed during the week is some 12 mph (if I'm lucky) and we know that the clever little men inside the trionic system constantly adapt to the conditions and demands placed upon it. So it had, kinda de-tuned itself.

With the ECU reset - full power :cool:

I know it will now begin the backing off process again but hey, what a great drive!

See less See more
#3 ·
Raven18940 said:
When I reset my ecu it has trouble starting, idles rough, runs rough, and has only 3/4 power at best until I get 50 miles or so on it. :roll:
Ah.........

Ooops, sorry about that ;oops:

#5 ·
I am unlucky :(

Mine gets 26 miles of clear, open A roads each way to and from work :evil:

I'm NEVER going to get that groovy feeling from an ECU reset after hurtling along there :cry:

[Mwuhahaaahaaahaaaaa! ]

#6 ·
You guys are so lucky to be able to actually test this, around here there are cops @ practically every corner waiting for you to go 15Km over the limit.
Since license points are on the very low end, I will have to drive 50km\h for a long time. Do the conversion.:(
cse_20

#7 · (Edited)
I've done this a few times before, usually with good results. It never occurred to me to do it again after having my hesitation issues resolved.

I did this yesterday and... the emoticon sums it up the best -

:cheesy:

I acutally felt the front end squirming about in 3rd gear at full boost.

Seems I might need that suspension upgrade sooner rather than later.

#9 ·
scully9-5 said:
Heres my question. How long does it seem to take for the ECU to "de-tune" your car? I wasnt sure if it was something that took weeks of slowish driving, or if it happens much quicker.
Mine is backing off now already, so just a few miles really - its damned clever at optimising I guess :confused:

#10 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Mine is backing off now already, so just a few miles really - its damned clever at optimising I guess :confused:
Ya I suppose your right Chris. I have had my Aero for about a month, and the power when I first picked it up was amazing. Now after a month of slowwww 10 minute drives to work I feel the power is begining to lessen. Maybe I'll try this "remap" tonight.

#11 ·
scully9-5 said:
Maybe I'll try this "remap" tonight.
Bear in mind you are losing the good optimisation too.

Trionic, by "detuning" optimises your emissions and fuel economy at the scrifice of performance (that your not using).

But I'd certainly do it before a weekend blast or a track day event.

#12 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Bear in mind you are losing the good optimisation too.

Trionic, by "detuning" optimises your emissions and fuel economy at the scrifice of performance (that your not using).

But I'd certainly do it before a weekend blast or a track day event.
I am actually taking a trip up to New Hampshire on Saturday. About a 2 hour drive on nothing but highway. Having my orginal power back would be greatly appreciated! :cheesy:

#13 ·
You don't need to reset the ECU to get your power back, you just need to boot it once in a while. I wind out 2nd at full power all the way to redline at least once a day and my car has plenty of pep.

#15 ·
scully9-5 said:
Isnt taking it to redline somewhat bad for you car though?
Isn't eating cake bad for your body? Sure, but cake is awesome... so is driving like a maniac ;)

Also, you won't really cause damage unless you run it PAST redline. I also give my car a good WOT run or two every day, and it seems to love me for it. Let the poor car live a little!

#16 ·
stipud said:
Isn't eating cake bad for your body? Sure, but cake is awesome... so is driving like a maniac ;)

Also, you won't really cause damage unless you run it PAST redline. I also give my car a good WOT run or two every day, and it seems to love me for it. Let the poor car live a little!
Its tough for a fitness nut to understand a cake analogy, but I get your point stipud ;) . Maybe once I figure out where the oil drip is comming from I will give her a good WOT run.

#17 ·
scully9-5 said:
Isnt taking it to redline somewhat bad for you car though?
I've been doing it for for 3 years and roughly 45K miles. Doesn't burn any oil, gets great mileage on the highway, no funny noises, no smoke from the turbo. 112K now, and I hit 6500 on the way to school today. Just make sure your car is warmed up all the way before you start beating on it.

#18 ·
Raven18940 said:
You don't need to reset the ECU to get your power back, you just need to boot it once in a while. I wind out 2nd at full power all the way to redline at least once a day and my car has plenty of pep.
I dont have any roads to do that on, full power in 2nd - in my car :roll:

#20 ·
scully9-5 said:
Chris I believe that the roads that your car would need to do that are called tracks. :cheesy:
lol or an airfield!

Todays journey:

From my office to the client = 3.7 miles

Time taken - 68 minutes :roll:

Walking is actually quicker :evil:

#22 ·
Raven18940 said:
I live by the side of a large, mostly empty dual-carriageway. Even using the on-ramp to wind out 2nd and 3rd gears (yes, merging at 150kph is over the limit, but upgraded brakes are good for fixing that...) 8 out of 10 times I jump on, my car still manages to de-tune itself over the course of a few weeks.

I think they just don't want us to have fun at all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.