SaabCentral Forums banner

Custom steering wheels

4K views 45 replies 15 participants last post by  ron22 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought some of you may be interested in this... Genuinesaab is setting up some custom fabricated steering wheels for our cars! They basically take the existing wheel, add extra padding, and reupholster it in the style of your choosing.

I know I will be one of the first in line for one of these. My previous owner really liked hand cream, so my stock steering wheel is pretty gross looking :confused:

Check it out here, many options are available: http://www.genuinesaab.com/CustomSW/

I have asked Nick if he can look into sourcing some Alcantara for my wheel. That's what they use on F1 cars and BMW M's for better grip and comfort. If it doesn't work out, i'll probably go with the simple leather. Either way, I want red white and blue euro stitching... colors of the dutch flag ;) (and it matches the Saab emblem too!)

#3 ·
snowboardin58 said:
dang, I stripped a leather wheel down with the idea of making it look like a Hirsch wheel(like these), but sanding it very thin and strengthening it with carbon-fiber, then some leather wrapping. Oh well, these are nice!!!
You need a core to send in so it sounds like you have one ready to go, let someone else do all the work for you...

... if the cost is not an issue

#4 ·
These are awesome. Really gives the whole interior a new look as the steering wheel is such a focal point.

Not sure the plain leather is worth the difference given cost IMO if you already have an Aero steering wheel (may well be worth it if not), but the carbon looks awesome.

Anybody have any opinions on how the silver carbon would go with the brushed aluminum look of an Aero dash? I'm thinking it would be a good look, but without being able to see it in person I am concerned it might clash as opposed to be a good fit.

#5 ·
tmg19103 said:
Anybody have any opinions on how the silver carbon would go with the brushed aluminum look of an Aero dash? I'm thinking it would be a good look, but without being able to see it in person I am concerned it might clash as opposed to be a good fit.
I was considering this as well. I don't know how it will look, but I can see if Nick has a white CF swatch that he can stick in a shop car for us.

Also, Nick apparently has a few cores at his shop. So if you want this done, but don't want to lose your car for a few weeks, then that might be the best route. I know I will definitely need to do that, since this car is my DD.

#8 ·
Raven18940 said:
The only thing I want in a steering wheel is a smaller diameter. It feels like I'm at the wheel of a cargo ship. :roll:
Yep, that was the first thing I asked about. Unfortunately the center hub of the wheel is far too big to reduce the outer diameter noticeably... and it would add substantially to cost. C'est la vie.

#9 ·
Carbon inserts look fantastic especially with carbon dash.I'm with wooden dash so for this car Aero wheel is good enough-don't like wooden wheels-nice in Alfa and MB,but too oldish for me.
If get new Aero with alu dash,this will be in my bucket soon .:cheesy:
It is great that GS guys keep invent and improve.

#10 ·
stipud said:
Nick took a bunch of pics of the swatches for us. What a gentleman :cool:

http://genuinesaab.com/gallery/CarbonSwatches
Great stuff! I'm thinking the silver carbon might be fine with the brushed alimunim. It is a brighter silver color, but it will be away from the dash and I think the black flecks mixed in would go well with the black leather on the wheel and perhaps mute the look on the wheel to make it a decent match with the dash.

Definitely something to consider. Still not convinced, but this really helps. Wuold be ideal if they could also offer a brushed aluminum option for the wheel. This is the kind of thing that will appeal to a lot of Aero owners who already have the brushed aluminum dash.

As for the wider/fatter steering wheels - I like them. Guess that is just personal preference. I have a buddy with an M-3 which a much wider and softer leather wheel than my Aero and I really like the feel.

#11 ·
Actually having the hirsch wheel, I have several comments.

1) the shape is so nice to hold:cheesy:

2) I guess my interior just got a whole lot less unique:cry:

3) I wish the carbon on my wheel matched the hirsch dash better My wheel's carbon is more yellow - like one of the swatches - if it was the greyer one it would be peachy!:confused:

I wonder if you can by the inserts (asuming this is a copy of the hirsch wheel in all dimnensions.....

#16 ·
Jssaab said:
Thanks for this I never thought about the silver with silver dash... looks good in my opinion. I agree that it will be far enough away to look even better. Are all the silver pics and black the same or are thier different shades/whatever
Nick drove around the parking lot to get pictures under different lighting conditions. It seems to match very well in all of them! Pleasantly surprised :cheesy:

Is this really a copy of the Hirsch wheel? I have never seen one of those.

#18 ·
I have a pic of the hirsch wheel it is close but not the same. This company does all sorts of vehicles. They all look close.

#21 ·
Jssaab said:
Nick/anyone, what type of stiching is on the Hirsch wheels? Is it the Japan or th eother and are Hirsch done with contracting stiching?

Sort of a mix between the two. Looks more messy than the euro if that makes sense.

Euro stitching is preferred and recommended.

I am sure they could cover a shift knob. You would have to start with a new factory knob.

#24 ·
6 so far. Looking to get moving on this soon. I have 1 core here.

#26 ·
Page updated with info.
http://www.genuinesaab.com/CustomSW/

Currently at order, waiting on 1 core. I will be sending these off the end of the week. No more waiting for cores. :D

If anybody wants in you need to get a move on it. ;)

Any questions email me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.