What would you say... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: What would you say...

thestig99
24-03-08, 05:07 PM
...If I said there's a slight possibilty of scoring a Rose Quartz '85 900T 5spd 4dr? The trunklid is toast, as is the LR door and the LR 1/4 panel is pretty broken. There's a bit of rust around on the outside (mostly low on the fenders). It has a red cloth interior, a bit over 200k on the clock, and is chock full of parts. Apparently the engine is bad.

Now the scenario...

I have an '86 900 4dr parts car that I can source some stuff from.

Now my current car is a '92 900S 4dr 5spd. It's got a bad engine, some rust ect, it's been wrecked at least once. Either this or the '85 is getting the '86 engine.

What would you chose? I honestly want the '85 which is outside on a trailor to be scrapped soon (long story) but I don't know how sold dad will be about my idea. We may end up parting it out.

On that note, what's valuable on either car for parts?

900t
24-03-08, 05:25 PM
engines are complex, only one piece can break, not the whole thing ;)

Honestly how much $$$? If the guy wants $200 take it, worse comes to worse you can melt it down and make $200 :lol: :lol:

thestig99
24-03-08, 05:28 PM
Well on my '92 the headgasket broke at least 600 miles ago and it is flooded with coolant. On the '85 he told me he thinks it was something along the lines of running it out of oil (it's full of oil). He picked it up at a local out of business saab place to scrap it.

The cars in question
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/ibratboy/Album%20II/DSC01629.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/ibratboy/Album%20II/DSC01637.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/ibratboy/Album%20II/DSC01638.jpg

900t
24-03-08, 05:33 PM
Just fix your headgasket it is easier than doing anything else... how the hell did you manage another 600 miles :lol:

16saabs
24-03-08, 05:38 PM
the 85 might/will have different front to later 86 model, definately the 92 and front hand brake, so possibly no good to your 86, and the headlights and front indicators are different as this model had a flat front(i missed that one as well once). most other bits are interchangeable,also the front seat set up /mechanism changed 1990 ish so they will not fit the 92 either so use it as a parts car to get the other 1 or 2 on the road, alternator, starter all fit each other, rad's the same electric window motors + mechanism keep those, etc etc, whatever you have room for keep even nondescript trim bits as the day you let it go you will notice something missing on yours and it's to late:cheesy: eg back ashtray springs
I have loadsof bits, they might never come in, but if they do they are FREE , nothing worse than scrapping a car out and a few weeks later something goes, and you have to go and BUY one, really p***** you off.
had a crankase sensor go,6 weeks after it scrapping a car i got for bits, and had to pay 30 for 2nd hand one, there was one on the other car/engine i scrapped( but did'nt know anything about them at the time):cry:
pictures were not on forum when started answer, but have just seen them the front has 90 headlights on them so no use to either car as spares

thestig99
24-03-08, 05:41 PM
I didn't ;) My brother didn't know the gasket was bad until the car refused to start when it got cold. My dad insists it'll be easier to just replace the whole deal than fix.

900t
24-03-08, 05:42 PM
I didn't ;) My brother didn't know the gasket was bad until the car refused to start when it got cold. My dad insists it'll be easier to just replace the whole deal than fix.

He is full of **** you can change the headgasket for $100 worth of stuff (the gasket set is $72) over a weekend.

Just to remove the engine/tranny is more work than the whole HG job.

I have done both...