SaabCentral Forums banner

custom turbo camshafts..

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  99turbo95 
#1 ·
are there any available or do i have to get a custom regrind?

the cams are out and im looking into shops that regrind cams.

wondering if any of you guys have done this plus increased turbo boost..

anyone have some grind specs?

#4 ·
i wanted a bigger intake filter pipe, port and polish the stock manifolds and head, then add some software changes to the turbo timing air/fuel setups, then add some cams to top it all off. At this point i think I can only modify the intake tube becuase this will all cost as much as a early model mustang cobra! which is WAY faster and fun then a saab wagon LOL

#5 ·
99turbo95 said:
i wanted a bigger intake filter pipe, port and polish the stock manifolds and head, then add some software changes to the turbo timing air/fuel setups, then add some cams to top it all off.
But you dont need any of this (except the re maps) till you hit big bhp figures through software, exhaust and turbo upgrades.

#7 ·
99turbo95 said:
i was really more curious to see the options. and I know have more knowelge.
A huge amout of performance capability has been built into the car by Saab at the factory - odd when you think they cant even design a crank case breathing system :roll:

#8 ·
99turbo95 said:
i wanted a bigger intake filter pipe, port and polish the stock manifolds and head, then add some software changes to the turbo timing air/fuel setups, then add some cams to top it all off. At this point i think I can only modify the intake tube becuase this will all cost as much as a early model mustang cobra! which is WAY faster and fun then a saab wagon LOL
All those things you listed (except software) are completely pointless on the stock GT17 turbo you have. That turbo is tiny. Alright, let me tell you best way to make your car quick with the least amount of expense.

Keeping stock turbo (the GT17 goes are far as 250-ish HP):
1. get a later model bigger cobra pipe for your turbo, the stock 99 one is tiny (one from a 01-05 aero will do nicely)
2. get a 3 inch DP
3. get a catback or mod your stock one with a free flowing muffler like a Magnaflow.
4. get it tuned (or tune it yourself www.ecuproject.com)

Get a TD04 from on aero on ebay (can take you to 300-ish hp):
1. get an Aero TD04 (only a SAAB TD04 will do, don't get one from a WRX)
2. get the latest, biggest cobra pipe (good for 350 whp)
3. get a 3 inch DP
4. get a catback or mod your stock one
5. get cams from a 9000 (bit longer, bit lifter, bit later)
6. get tuned

This is the best and most cost effective way to mod your car, big headers and big cams just aren't what you need at this stage in the game. ;)

#10 ·
99turbo95 said:
thank you so much! im down with junkyard horsepower!
Shame you didnt find us before you got the car :confused:

#12 ·
well its my brothers car, im just helping him rebuild his overheated top end.

if i knew that these cars blow up turbos and get oil clogging sludge I would have never let him buy it. when we get it back together we are going to sell it before those things go wrong!

#13 ·
99turbo95 said:
when we get it back together we are going to sell it before those things go wrong!
Well good luck then..........

#14 ·
They only go wrong if you don't take care of the car. You just need the be diligent with the oil changes and sludge will never be a problem. My car (an aero) has 112K on it, and it'll run with the STi's all day. ;)

#15 ·
I would agree with Raven for the most part with the exception of exhaust. If you're cranking up the boost on either a GT17 or td04 you're going to see a lot more heat. I would not go cheap on the exhaust, its an important component in keeping temps down.

#16 ·
thats the thing, my brother is a bit of a fool when it comes to car maintences, thats why the head gasket is blown, becasue he dident even know that driving long distance with the car over heated was bad idea. never the less, this car could be in better hands..... LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.