SaabCentral Forums banner

after market exhaust headers available?

1K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Al's Red Wagon 
#1 ·
are there any aftermarket headers for the 2.3T 9-5?

ive looked and could not find much.

#8 ·
im thinking about using bolts rather then the stock studs for clearence issues witht he stock manifold. having the machine shop take out the studs, it also looks like one of the studs is missing on the lower right side and the gasket shows a large leak and carbon build up all over the gasket.

#9 ·
What are the clearance issues :confused:

#10 ·
we took the head off with the manifold still hanging on the studs, because the exhaust manifold would not come forward far enough to clear the studs and it would hit the radiator/fans

the heat shield bolt is also a pain in the *****

studs was a bad idea for the manifold i think, why not just use regualr bolts?

#11 ·
99turbo95 said:
studs was a bad idea for the manifold i think, why not just use regualr bolts?
Because the manifld gets very hot and therefore expands a lot, the bolt heads would get sheared off in short order.

You took the heat shield off before you tried to remove the manifold, right? :eek:

#13 ·
99turbo95 said:
ya the heat shield was off very early in the breakdown. what will happen to the bolt heads if we use them rather then studs.
Studs are stronger than standard bolts. SAAB doesn't spend money wastefully these days, they probably used studs because bolts weren't up the the task.

Oh, you need to know about the part sites.

www.eeuroparts.com <=stock parts
www.genuinesaab.com <=some stock and more performance parts

These sites are you friend, book mark them.

#14 · (Edited)
why is my lower right stud missing in the head? there seems to be no threads in the head either from looking at this one open hole. are these studs hammered in or threaded in? there are no threads in the empty head bolt hole.. maybe?

the only thing that can explain this is the stud fell out and was not threaded..

this also means i can not use regular short bolts? correct?

saab weirdness continues.........lol

those websites prices are beating my shops prices x3, is my shop guy just upping th prices, im also even buying the OE standard parts

#15 · (Edited)
Raven18940 said:
Studs are stronger than standard bolts. SAAB doesn't spend money wastefully these days, they probably used studs because bolts weren't up the the task.

Oh, you need to know about the part sites.

www.eeuroparts.com <=stock parts
www.genuinesaab.com <=some stock and more performance parts

These sites are you friend, book mark them.
I've also had luck at www.thesaabsite.com If you have part numbers for something you don't see, you can order it without having to call in if you really need to order at 2am...
:EDIT: I do have to add that Eeuroparts has gotten items to me THE NEXT DAY when I ordered early in the day....This was selecting the FREE SHIPPING METHOD !!!! :eek: :cheesy:

#17 ·
See post #10

#18 · (Edited)
not going with a bigger turbo at all, keeping it stock beacuse all the aftermarkets are very expensive. the exhaust manifold uses studs rather then bolts, and the studs stick out from the head, and make it very difficult to pull the head off beacause the studs require the manifold need even more room to pull off.....

#19 ·
The studs need to come out of the head anyway, you can't re-use them. Is the problem in getting the studs out of the head or am I missing something else...I'm having a hard time following the thread sorry. If they're stuck, you can always use a stud extractor.

#20 ·
its not really problem, just an inconvience when removing the exhaust manfold. the studs require the manifold to be pull off with the headm then removed when the head is out. the rradiator fans are too close and the studs are too long. im not really sure how else to explain it. this is the only car ive ever seen exaust studs used. also why is the lower right hole on the head missing a stud?? there is not even threads in it? am i missing somethig here??

#21 ·
99turbo95 said:
we took the head off with the manifold still hanging on the studs, because the exhaust manifold would not come forward far enough to clear the studs and it would hit the radiator/fans
Radiator fan assembly comes out in about a half hour with the help of a long pry bar (for lentgh, not leverage) loosening the tranny cooler bolts and taking out two mounting bolts. Also disconnect the power connection and then drop the right corner and rotate 90 degrees clockwise. Then lifts straight out. Not dificult - just awkward....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.