SaabCentral Forums banner

K&N Questions

1K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Al's Red Wagon 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy there. I got a 1999 Saab 9-5 SE a few months ago and I wanted to put a K&N Air filter in it. I just have a few questions.

After searching and searching, I decided I needed to make a thread.

- I found that the air filter is located behind the front wheel. Is it necessary to remove the front bumper for the install?

Also, I noticed there was a bunch of hoses and what not, is there any need to re-route any other air flow, or you just pop on the air filter and then you're done? I saw a few pictures on here with a aftermarket filter, but some other fancy joints and hoses. So I was just wondering what exactly you need to do. Pictures would be so great, if you could.

Do I need to add any hoses or anything?

Is there anything flowing into the air filter, or is it just that beautiful black box? I'm concerned that there's something I'm not going to do right, and that might risk messing with my car. Is it just a pop off, pop on?

And lastly, what shape and size does it need to be? I've heard K&N is the best, but is that just a brand? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Like pictures, sound clips, install instructions, tools needed, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Edit : I just found this thread

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55094&highlight=filter

but pictures along the install would be a huge help. I'm still not familiar with this car, so it's a little confusing to me.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, actually it was your picture that confused me haha.

I was looking for some type of air filter that would give me some nice sound, and also help with gas mileage. I'm not quite sure what the difference would be with replacing the stock one, or swapping it out for a open air one.

Also, see you're from NY, maybe I'll catch you at a GTG sometime :cheesy:

#4 ·
#6 ·
the difference is the sound! Open air gives you the turbo spool up and the blow off sound. From all the talk on other threads, neither filter helps gas mileage or hp. The beauty of the K&N, whether it be drop in or open air, is the fact that you can clean and re-use them. I have the open air from Genuine Saab and its an easy install. Id give it a 2 out of 10 for difficulty.
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_53&products_id=311

Or you could fabricate your own mount and get a filter for a bit cheaper.

#7 ·
Aeffles said:
Thanks for the reply, but I still just don't get it. Does the size or shape of the filter matter? And also, do I need to add the snorkle? Or is that just to help the air flow?
Usually for open air you can go with a large filter. ie:about 8 inches long. Shape doesnt real matter as long as it fits into you wheel well.

You dont need a snorkel with an open air.

#8 ·
mt.aero said:
the difference is the sound! Open air gives you the turbo spool up and the blow off sound. From all the talk on other threads, neither filter helps gas mileage or hp. The beauty of the K&N, whether it be drop in or open air, is the fact that you can clean and re-use them. I have the open air from Genuine Saab and its an easy install. Id give it a 2 out of 10 for difficulty.
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_53&products_id=311

Or you could fabricate your own mount and get a filter for a bit cheaper.
Thanks for the quick reply. Do I need to get the one you linked me to? I know it sounds dumb, but I mean, I see these types of filters at like Pepboys and stuff for something like 40 bucks, but do they differ a lot?

And what's the difference between open air and drop in?

#9 ·
Aeffles said:
Thanks for the quick reply. Do I need to get the one you linked me to? I know it sounds dumb, but I mean, I see these types of filters at like Pepboys and stuff for something like 40 bucks, but do they differ a lot?
The filters dont differ at all. THe one I linked you to includes the filter, the mounting bracket and clamps. If you get the filter at pepboys or any other place you still need the mounting bracket and clamps. People here have made them themselves out of 3" piping, but the nice part about the GS bracket is there is a small flange welded to it so you can physically bolt it to your car. Homeade pieces dont have this and is essentially just hanging there.

#10 ·
Aeffles said:
And what's the difference between open air and drop in?
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123781

Drop in is a replacement filter in the existing air box = no benefits over a clean stock filter

Open air means removing the entire air box and replacing with the "open" filter hanging inside the wheel arch = no benefits over a clean stock filter except the noise.

#11 ·
Thank you both of you for your quick and very informative replies. So basically, if I get the one at Pepboys, I would just need to invest in the clamps. But couldn't I use the ones that held the existing air box in place? And also, when putting in the air filter, for the sound, I remove the entire air box, correct?

Also, I would need to add a splash guard, yah? So what's the best way to go about doing this?

#12 ·
#14 ·
Aeffles said:
Thank you both of you for your quick and very informative replies. So basically, if I get the one at Pepboys, I would just need to invest in the clamps. But couldn't I use the ones that held the existing air box in place? And also, when putting in the air filter, for the sound, I remove the entire air box, correct?

Also, I would need to add a splash guard, yah? So what's the best way to go about doing this?
If you get the pepboys filter, it is still lacking a small piece of pipe you will need to attach the filter to the intake. If you take a look at the GS link I gave you it has this piece included. I short section (3 to 4 inches long) of 3" metal tubing will do. You need to insert this pipe into the intake and clamp it down. Then the filter itself will slide onto the pipe where it will also be clamped down.

You will need.
1. two clamps total
2. piece of 3" metal pipe about 3 or 4 inches long
3. Filter with 3" inlet.

#15 ·
mt.aero said:
If you get the pepboys filter, it is still lacking a small piece of pipe you will need to attach the filter to the intake. If you take a look at the GS link I gave you it has this piece included. I short section (3 to 4 inches long) of 3" metal tubing will do. You need to insert this pipe into the intake and clamp it down. Then the filter itself will slide onto the pipe where it will also be clamped down.

You will need.
1. two clamps total
2. piece of 3" metal pipe about 3 or 4 inches long
3. Filter with 3" inlet.
Thank you so so so much. The last thing I need to know is, should the 3" of metal pipe be straight, at a 60º or 90º?

#16 ·
straight....................

#18 ·
Kermit said:
to the search function? ;)
I used the search function plenty of times, and sometimes it's just much too hard to find what you're looking for. I'm thankful for your patience, cause I know how this is annoying and people must ask all the time, but I can assure you, I looked and looked. Thanks for cutting me a break with my thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.