SaabCentral Forums banner

Let's Talk about Boost Pressure

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  turbophille 
#1 ·
So I mounted a boost gauge.... I am only getting 7 psi all the time.......
Lifted this from another thread, and I thought I'd be courtious and not hyjack that thread....

So what are are the boost pressures supposed to be anyway?

Let's speak in both psi and bar for convenience...

I think in Autos the boost is limited in 1st and 2nd gears just to protect the gearbox. I've seen as high as 7psi in third and 4th gears, but that is hard to achieve safely on roads (going too fast) without kickdown....

Here's what I have at stock on my '99 lpt:
Idle - -20psi - -1.7bar
1st - 5psi - .34
2nd - 5psi - .34
3rd - 7psi - .48bar
4th - 7psi - .48bar - only momentarily

This is what I'm reading off of my mechanical boost gauge.

#3 ·
Welcome! :p

Now the first thing is:

We need pics of your car! - forum rules or you buy everyone a drink!

The second thing is:

It's spelt "Aero" :p

Also how do you know you get 21psi :confused: ?

#4 ·
turbophille said:
doesnt really help as you have a lpt and i have an earo (auto). with my abbott ecu and downpipe i get 1.5 bar (21 psi) in every gear! totally undrivable with traction turned off. so much fun in the dry, cant wait to sort full exhaust and IC :D
Welcome - :cool:

So that is Abbot tuned...I'm wondering what some BSR and Nordic auto box numbers look like...

#5 ·
hello all! first up sorry bout spelling, AERO it is ha ha. i know boost level cos ive got a gauge cut into dash. im old school so like a gauge and psi reading. abbott racing are here in uk and have been such a help in recent weeks, i'll trust them with all future upgrades (unless i can do it myself of course) will sort pic's tommorrow unless i can get sum off my phone now :D

#6 ·
Where in Essex are you? :confused:

#10 ·
turbophille said:
hey ya Chris, im in Fobbing near Basildon on A13. where do u normally hide out. an yer i'll get everyone a drink (if you pop round), tea or coffee? :D
Epping near Harlow - so we are the Essex Boys - wait for the jokes :cheesy:

Sorry about the thread derailment Al ;oops:

#11 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Epping near Harlow - so we are the Essex Boys - wait for the jokes :cheesy:

Sorry about the thread derailment Al ;oops:
Essex BOYZ we are lol. i know it well, im from Chigwell (woodford, wanstead. and was just in Hainault with my cruisin mates) ur officially invited to a drive around london with anyone who wants to come on Sunday night! its a cheap nite out with chilled people. i'll post time and place tomorrow :D

#13 ·
Al's Red Wagon said:
well back at it then...

Abbot don't limit their boost in the first two gears? I thought this was standard practice in order to save the tranny....
dont get me wrong, bsr didnt send ppc cos it wouldnt down load my ecu settings. its hard to watch gauge on full right foot, but if it dont hit full in 1st its damn close and defo does in all other gears. really is an amazin difference! why did Saab not do this from factory??!!!! :x id like more but really dont fink more power would be usable

#21 ·
Manual,soft from Nordic -Stage 3 Aero,hardware-Stage 3+++:cheesy:
At idle cold -0.7 Bar
At idle warm -0.8 Bar
On 2nd gear-up to 1.0-1.1 Bar-never tried will it boost higher if I insist.
After 3rd-up to 1.4 for normal drive and overtaking and to 1.6 or 1.7.rarely during stupid driving.
Will see with bigger piping and cooler.
However this needle gauges aren't very precise on my opinion.

#22 ·
Al's Red Wagon said:
Just to translate - gets close to 21psi in 1st but definately does in every other gear... Is that correct?

What are your reading at idle?
checked as promised, and yes makes 21psi (1.5bar) in all gears (all testing done on private road of course). must be nice to tyres now, tcs cant keep up, spins twice in first and again changing into second :evil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.