Fuel additives [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Fuel additives

Fogcutter
1st July 2003, 06:49 PM
I was just wondering if anyone out there regularly added anything to their tanks when they fueled up, whether performance enhancing, or cleansing, or anything else. STP products, etc. Is there anything out there that people swear by- besides the Super Unleaded?

Thanks and, as always, sorry if redundant.

-Martin

mr saabman
2nd July 2003, 01:26 PM
Hi Martin,
Fuel adatives/octane boosters etc are not needed on a Trionic 7 powered car as the ECU will give the same power/torque on any fuel it's given so no point trying to increase power from adatives.
You could however give it a treat every 6 months or so to an injector cleaner,This also depends on the type of fuel used as some are claimed to include a cleaner anyway.But it would not do any harm to do it anyway :)

Matty2.3T
20th July 2003, 03:38 AM
I did notice if i run normal unleaded and not premium unleaded in my 99' saab 9-5 SE it pings, and a hell of alot if i go to a el'cheapo petrol station which puts heaps of ethanol in the fuel.... i found by using a reputable petrol station and premium unleaded seemed to fix this problem tho....
im not sure what fuel qualities are like over there in the UK but over here in Oz u can get caught out by going to a dodgy fuel station... ( dam ethanol)

XAAMOTTOMAAX
20th July 2003, 03:23 PM
The story is the same here in the US. There are shoddy gas stations that will sell watered down gas (or maybe ethanoled down). When I bought my 9-5 Aero from a non Saab dealer, the lot porter filled it up with the cheap stuff :nono; and it ran like crap, pinging (pinking for you chums in the UK) terribly under full throttle. I added a simple off the shelf octane booster and it didnt do squat. Came to find out, the three octane point increases claimed on the bottle were true. 3 points brought it from 87 octane to 87.3 and not to a 90 octane rating like I thought. I strictly use premium and also use an emissions cleaner once every 6 months just for the heck of it. I also change the oil every 3000 miles and will be flushing the coolant/trans fluid every 10k miles. Plugs to get done every 20k (only had the car 1.5 months). Sure it might be overkill but I also have a stage 1 ECU :lol: so any safeguards you can take are worth it in my opinion.

D. Wolfe
21st July 2003, 05:00 PM
Other than some STP injector cleaner to your tank once in a while, most "additives" are pretty much "snake oil".

If they really worked, people would be pouring the stuff in their tanks by the gallons.

d.wolfe