SaabCentral Forums banner

100 octane in our cars?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  mt.aero 
#1 ·
What would 100 octane do to our cars?
I had one bad experience already with 100 octane but it was due to a faulty turbo, but i know high octance is better all around.. so would it be beneficial or will my engine blow up?

#2 ·
Some guys are using E85 with an octane rating of 105 in their saabs :cool:

#3 ·
It shouldn't provide any major advantages, unless the car is tuned for it. The E85 cars have special tuning to be able to run properly with it, due to having much less potential energy, despite the higher octane rating.

I run 94 octane E10 all the time... the gas station that has it just happens to be across the street. My car loves it, but it's also a stage 3.

#7 ·
100 Octane

l have used ELF racing which is around 105 RON for quarter mile time trials , this fuel is brilliant. l ran my tank down to get maximum fill , however when l went to start my car the next morning it took a number of starts to get it to fire. In Australia 98RON is available everywhere however it is probably more closer to 95 DIN standard . Shell here sell 100 octane which is a blend of biofuel and petrol.

#9 ·
Measuring Octane

FYI from Wikipedia:
The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing these results with those for mixtures of isooctane and n-heptane.

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON) or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.