SaabCentral Forums banner

BiXenon with pics (finally)

4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  timmehhhhhh 
#1 ·
The before pic

Now with those 2 HID kits
Stock Xenon HID's headlights with 8000k bulbs
Foglight aftermarket kit with 10000k bulbs
These things realy look amazing at night. Daytime pics don't bring out the full effect.

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like a spaceship-it's great!:cheesy:

#4 ·
tmg19103 said:
Looks great! Where did you get the aftermarket kit for the fogs? Was it much trouble to intall? I'd assume you had to change out the wiring and harness for each foglight...
Got all the elements from ebay. The fog lights required a ballast for each side (like any other HID kit) but needed careful fitting due to not much place to put it on the passenger side. Still a fairly straight forward installation.

#5 ·
Linear Thinker said:
Got all the elements from ebay. The fog lights required a ballast for each side (like any other HID kit) but needed careful fitting due to not much place to put it on the passenger side. Still a fairly straight forward installation.
There is a harness that you turn halfway to pull the bulb out of the foglight, to which the halogen bulb is attached and you can then replace the bulb.

I can't imagine there is a xenon buld that would fit this. Did you have have to replace the harness, and if so, the OEM one seals the foglight and prevents moisture form getting in and glazing up the inside of the foglight.

Curious how you handled this.

Thanks!

#7 ·
tmg19103 said:
There is a harness that you turn halfway to pull the bulb out of the foglight, to which the halogen bulb is attached and you can then replace the bulb.

I can't imagine there is a xenon buld that would fit this. Did you have have to replace the harness, and if so, the OEM one seals the fog light and prevents moisture form getting in and glazing up the inside of the fog light.

Curious how you handled this.

Thanks!
I got a H1 Xenon kit, the kits usually come with all the supplied material. Yet with the 9-5 the fog light is very tricky. Since if you look into your fog lights there are little metal plates in them. These plates are used to block off excess lightning in the fog light. They also block any HID bulb from going in as well.

The normal H1 bulb is like 2 inches and the HID bulb is like 3 inches. So with those little plates the installation is impossible due to the fact that the bulb will never fit in the socket.

You have to remove the whole fog light. Open it, remove the metal plate with the help of trusty pliers. Close the back the fog light. It doesn’t require any sealant since the fog lights are designed to be opened (luckily enough). The foglight consist of 2 clips on the back and a little ''screw type mechanism that’s used to adjust the foglight, up and down. Un clamp the 2 clips, and remove the little adjustments screw and you have access inside the fog light.

So basically the installation consisted of removing both foglights. This is pretty easy if your bolts are in good condition. Then you have to remove the metal plates in the foglight. Then mount them back on the car and finaly now your ready to start the HID installation. From here on just follow the indication from your HID KIT. The driver side is pretty straightforward since you have a lot of room near the foglight to place the ballast. The passenger side on the other hand isn't as easy mainly due to the room you have to work with since the airbox is in the way.

To keep the bulbs in place with the socket what I used was urethane, a very potent adhesive mainly used to install and place windshields onto cars. Close em all up and your gtg.

#8 ·
looks nice, but it's a downgrade for both sets of lights.

the higher color temp will actually create less light output and increase eye strain for the headlamps.

the fogs will now only be like rally lights, they won't function in rain and fog like they used to.

but, I guess it does look nice. :cheesy:

#9 ·
Ya the headlight are not as bright. Which I knew from the start anyway.. and the foglights.. I never use em in fog anyway.. which we get like twice a year. I just wanted it for the look..

Hardly a downgrade the way I look at it though. I personaly think it looks amazing. :cheesy:

#10 ·
it does look good, don't get me wrong. ;)

around here though, country backroads, no streetlights, lots of deer... lots of rain and fog and snow. I couldn't afford to lose any light quality or output.

I used to experiment with the colored halogens on my 9-3, like PIAA, luminics, etc... they gave me bad headaches at night and were dim when I needed them most. So I went back to xtra visions, not as cool looking but very safe to see where I was going. ;)

#12 ·
So I am curious...

What made you choose the color temps you did?

I have 6000k bulbs in my stock Xenons. I was struck by how ugly my fog lights look now that they don't match the headlights.

I was thinking that some time down the line I may put a hid kit in the fogs with bulbs matching the 6000k's in my headlights.

You - however - chose to go with mismatched colors, 8000k headlights with 10000k fogs. Was there a particular reason for this? In the picture they look pretty close either way.

I have also considered going with a 3000k hid kit for the fogs, making them true yellow fog lights :cool: (but I'm not sure how that will look)

Here are some pics of my current configuration with 6000k headlights, and stock everything else. (click for bigger)

#15 ·
Careful with those bi HID'S.. I burnt out my HCU (Headlight control Unit) twice now.. I don't know whats causing the problem. It's either the non OEM bulbs of the HID fogs. After 2 burnt HCU for like 200-300 a pop I am not taking any risk and both are comming off.

#16 ·
Linear Thinker said:
Careful with those bi HID'S.. I burnt out my HCU (Headlight control Unit) twice now.. I don't know whats causing the problem. It's either the non OEM bulbs of the HID fogs. After 2 burnt HCU for like 200-300 a pop I am not taking any risk and both are comming off.
Hmm. I'd imagine its probably the fog hid kit. If you get one from a shady vendor the ballasts or igniters could draw more current than the 55W H1 bulb, and cause problems. A quality one shouldn't though.

The after market headlight bulbs should definitely not be the problem as long as they are brand name parts. They are all built to the D1S standard.

#17 ·
nbndtrain said:
6000k headlights, OEM fogs:

6000k headlights, 6000k HID fogs:

There is a ton more light, and they match very well.

How difficult was it ti install these in the round '04 Aero fogs? Did you have to take them out and disassemble them like Linear Thinker had to with his square fogs?

#19 · (Edited)
nbndtrain said:
No. They fit right in. I secured the ballasts in the engine bay and dropped the wires down.
Oh Nice. Must have been pretty long wires.

Did you have to cut holes in the caps on the back?

I have never looked at the new round fogs on my 2004. The only experience I have is with my square ones on the 2001. the front bumper is too damned low to get my head under. I'd have to jack the car just to look at it, and well... I've been lazy :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.