SaabCentral Forums banner

What do you guys make of this Diverter Valve?

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Snaab9-5 
#1 ·
DTM

I found this on ebay and it looks an awful like the forge..... Do you guys think that this is a piece of crap or is it worth looking at since the price is definatley right.

#8 ·
Linear Thinker said:
Lol that be hilarious or you can have a cd that does blow off sounds. So every time u shift gear u hit play to hear the whoooosh.. lmao
Nice.... actually I have one of these

:cheesy:

Sounds ****in sweet

#9 ·
I have a Forge. Save your money and stay with the plastic Bosch unit. My Forge BPV is continuously plagued by: torn diaphragms, springs that lose their temper and go soft, vacuum line fittings snap off the body, etc.

The only good things are it looks cool, and Forge supplies all replacement parts for free. But I would rather drive my car than repeatedly repair a tempermental BPV.

Besides, contrary to popular opinion a BPV is an engine safety device and not a performance enhancer. The turbo produces the boost, not the BPV. The BPV exists to prevent over pressurization of the engine's intake system.

Do you screw with the pressure relief valve on your home's hot water heater to get more hot water?

#10 ·
MI-Roger said:
I have a Forge. Save your money and stay with the plastic Bosch unit. My Forge BPV is continuously plagued by: torn diaphragms, springs that lose their temper and go soft, vacuum line fittings snap off the body, etc.

The only good things are it looks cool, and Forge supplies all replacement parts for free. But I would rather drive my car than repeatedly repair a tempermental BPV.

Besides, contrary to popular opinion a BPV is an engine safety device and not a performance enhancer. The turbo produces the boost, not the BPV. The BPV exists to prevent over pressurization of the engine's intake system.

Do you screw with the pressure relief valve on your home's hot water heater to get more hot water?
Torn Diaphram? :confused: Im confused..... The Forge is piston driven, so there is no diaphram. Forge doesnt make BPVs with diaphrams that Im aware of. And it is a small performance upgrade since you can tune it with different spring rates to hold more or less boost depending upon how much you are running. It wont give you more boost but it wont dump it before its supposed to. Ive had mine for a year with no problems. That said I would only replace you BPV is the one you have now is bad.

#11 ·
mt.aero said:
Torn Diaphram? :confused: Im confused..... The Forge is piston driven, so there is no diaphram. Forge doesnt make BPVs with diaphrams....
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/content.asp?inc=product&cat=&product=FMND109

Although my diaphragm issues will be limited to the rare Forge diaphragm valves, the spring softening and broken vacuum line fitting problems (very poor design, the wall thickness of the fitting where it screws into the valve is almost paper thin) will be problematic for the piston valve owners as well.

Installing too stiff of spring in the valve will cause CEL's and dimished performance - been there & done that. Too soft of spring will cause endless unnecessary blow-offs - been there too, that is why my valve spring is currently shimmed. (BTW - hardware store Fender Washers are great BPV shims at incredibly low prices)

Increased BPV spring rate and ECU software to actually use the pressure, with sustained aggressive driving (i.e. track use), but without adjusting the fuel delivery rate to the engine (i.e. larger injectors) will result in lean A/F ratios with correspondingly higher combustion temperatures, and has caused melted pistons!

My advise is to either keep it all stock, or spend the big money to do it correctly by use of a custom hands-on tune. Buying random "performance" parts and expecting them to work properly together, or alone, is a waste of money and may result in damage to your car.

#14 ·
MI-Roger said:
My advise is to either keep it all stock, or spend the big money to do it correctly by use of a custom hands-on tune. Buying random "performance" parts and expecting them to work properly together, or alone, is a waste of money and may result in damage to your car.
I kinda disagree, I've had noticible (logged) gains from exhaust and intercooler upgrades.

On the other hand, all I got from adding a delivery pipe and cobra upgrade was a nice letter from Master Card :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.