If not a Carly, then what? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: If not a Carly, then what?

chucktv
28-06-03, 01:18 PM
I'm keeping my eyes out for another 9k turbo, I'm thinking early '90s. Since I can't get a Carly over here what would be the best option for performance and future mods? Opinions anyone? 8)

Simon
29-06-03, 03:26 AM
I would have thought a 94' on model so you can take advantage of some of the reasonably priced ECU upgrades that are on the market.

Simon.

Alanb
29-06-03, 06:16 PM
If you are looking for an early 9000 then the only difference between full pressure 2.0Ts and 2.0 Carlys is the turbo pressure. Turbo pressure of 2.0Ts can easily be raised.

Alanb

chucktv
30-06-03, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys. Good point about the ECU upgrades, Simon. Alan, can I raise turbo pressure on my 87 by adjusting the wastegate?

Alanb
30-06-03, 06:14 PM
'87 9000? No, don't shorten the wastegate if it is set up OK. You should tweak the APC since this is what allows the wastegate to see boost pressure. You can best raise boost pressure significantly by: 1. Tweaking the APC - a simple soldering job. Check the 900 performance forum for info. The mod is exactly the same for 9000s. 2. Put a rising rate fuel pressure regulator or crush your current regulator in order to supply more fuel. You should see an easy 30 bhp with these mods.

Alanb

chucktv
01-07-03, 09:44 AM
Thanks Alan. 2 questions. I have a Brit friend who is also a mechanic and helicopter pilot (he's got a Gazelle which he rebuilt) and he suggested swaping the 2 opposing lines on the APC. Is that risky? Second, by crushing the current fuel regulator do you mean destroy? And I will check the 900 forum.